Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you select a proxy that doesn't block a site ?

Options
  • 23-09-2005 12:00pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We can access several proxy servers.
    But the faster ones block more sites. And do so by displaying a message so as far as another proxy or browser is concerned a page has been found and so they no way to get them to fall back to the slower proxy which blocks less pages.

Is there any way of telling a browser or other proxy that if it sees the message to fall back to one of the slower proxies or using a direct connection ?

All the redirects / pac scripts I've seen work on URL's rather than page content.

In Firefox I could simply use the proxy switch extension to use a different proxy but the other users are on IE.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

Are you using a proxy between the IE users and the faster and slower proxies themselves? (i.e. chaining proxy servers?) If so you can get that proxy to do the processing for you for faster or slower proxies.

(Ug, I think my brain is now in a knot)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm was trying to get rules to choose the best upstream proxy, the rule would be use the slow proxy if the site is blocked by the fast proxy. The reason for putting the rules on a third proxy was to get a bit more speed and to have a central place to monitor the rules. But looks like I'd need a content filter to pick up the blocked pages since the blocking server spoofs them, but the problem is how to get the redirect working on the fly - might just be lazy and stick both IE and FireFox on all machines and have each pointing at a different proxy - then again could use the browser parameter in squid to differentitate them so to route them different ways.

your brain hurts ??
    In the end I'd to parse a best guess list of URL's but it took forever because of lovely stuff like..
    DNS problems with wpad (works fine in Nslookup and Firefox - but not in ping or IE :confused: )
    DHCP problems with option 252 - it's case sensitive and IE may strip the last character from the url and you have to specify the port even if it's on port 80
    IE needs a reg hack to disable proxy caching and another one to stop it disabling missing proxies for 30 minutes, so you have to do a tad more than refresh the page and delete all offline content to see the changes.
    Firefox seems happy enough with ' as a delimiter but IE seems to want " :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The mind boggles
    http://www.isaserver.org/articles/ISA2004_ClientAutoConfig.html
    If you are an admin then your IE settings come from DNS but other users get their settings from DHCP, unless you are using XP SP2...

And I'm sure there are even more gotcha's

Advertisement