Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bewlidered... need simple answer

• 23-09-2005 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I live in Dublin 15. My neighbours tell me that Broadband isn't available on my road. I called BT for the fun of it, they tell me that it is available, but can't be 100% sure as the phone line I have is not connected to Eircom, which of course, I need to pay to get connected. The lady in BT said though that if you just want a wireless connection, IBB offer that.... I thought "great", because I don't need a phone line connected! But then I read shocking things on this board about IBB....

So here's my question:

If I want the internet (broadband or adsl) at home and I want it to be wireless, so who is the best option?

IBB (e.g. Breeze 1MB option)
    BT
    SMART
    EIRCOM (apparently not available ???)
    www.clearwire.ie
    www.leap.ie

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

NTL cable BB is also avialable in some areas of D15, worth checking if you can get it, it is very good, much better then wireless. You don't need a telephone line to get it, but you do need to get NTL analogue TV, they sometimes give this free for 12 months when you sign up for BB.

BT, Smart and Eircom don't offer wireless BB, only wired using DSL.

IBB, Digiweb, Clearwire and Leap offer wireless BB. THere are a lot of complaints about IBB, So far the reports aboiut Digiweb, Clearwire and Leap have been positive.

However a word of warning, wireless BB is always going to be more variable and less stable then wired BB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I live in D15 and I have Breeze 1MB from IBB and I'm fairly happy with it. My phone line doesn't support BB according to €ircon so I didn't have much of a choice. I hear that ntl BB is now available in my area though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'm with IBB 1mb connection in Clonsilla nearly two months and haven't really had a problem with it. It has gotten a little bit slow at times recently but nothing even worth moaning about, and it always seems to fix itself within a short while.

I would be very weary though, because of the number of horror stories on here about it. If there is any sort of alternative, maybe you should consider it.

Advertisement