Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what to use to paint new gate

Options
  • 23-09-2005 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have to paint a new gate
    The timber is painted in protem (i think) Its green in colour
    Would fencelife be ok as a stain or would a oil based stain/varnish be better, Which one.

Thanks
    Declan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Tung oil from jupex is about the best treatment you can get.
    Failing that sadolin is pretty good too.
    Whatever you use stay away from acrylic your wood will rot from the inside out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

CJhaughey wrote:
    Whatever you use stay away from acrylic your wood will rot from the inside out.

Is ronseal FenceLife acrylic ?

Thanks
    Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

No idea! harness the power of the internet and find out.
    ronseal.co.uk may give you the info you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Tung oil is really only good for new wood,which is why it penerates it better.The Tung oil will only sit on top of existing coat of paint.Do you want to keep door looking green or another colour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

I would like to end up with a shade of brown\Oak.

Dec

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Dulux or ronseal have a weather protection colour stained varnish.Just give it a sanding down and give it a couple of coats.The fencelife stuff is very watery/transparent from what I can remember.Oil based stain would be better.

Advertisement