Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Live football tonight

• 23-09-2005 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Its cup weekend.

Cork City Vs Sligo Rovers

Derry Vs Shams

Drogheda United v Bohemians

Bray Wanderers v UCD

Some interesting games there. I have an awful feeling Sligo will take a draw at Turners Cross tonight (live on TG4 btw). City just arent playing too well at the moment, and the whole season is in danger of imploding very soon unless something drastic happens.

Derry Vs Shams should be a good game. Now I really dont know what i want from this - Derry to win and back up their fixtures somewhat, or for them to have a possible morale shatterring experience. One way or other, I hope they have a few players sent off and get 3 match suspensions, and that one or two iof them get niggling injuries which will keep them out til the end of the season. Shallow I know.

Drogs Vs Bohs is the tie of the round IMO. Its the last chance either club have of Europe and Setanta Cup, bith arent exactly playing well and both are leaking goals. Could be a very good game. I think bohs will win 1-2.

Bray Vs UCD
    . Boring game written all over it. UCD are on the better run, and their narrow defeat in the league cup final could spur them on here. One way or other I reckon a draw here.

In the league, its Harps Vs Shels. Shels have won their last 5 on the spin and are playing very very well. Harps on the other hand got off the bottom of the table lat week for the first time in months, are playing ok and could cause an upset tonight. Im reckong 2-2.

In Division One Limerick play Cobh. Both still have aspirations of grabbing the play off spot, and both are playing ok, moreso Cobh. This is always a very competetive game, and usually has a nice few goals. I think Limerick will will this 3-2.

Galway Vs Monaghan predictably will have very few spectators. Galway should comfortably beat an awful Mons side.

CHF Vs Kilkenny. Should be a good game. Kilkenny are the form team in the division, winning 9 out of their last 11. A draw will be the result here I predict.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

gimmick wrote:
    Some interesting games there. I have an awful feeling Sligo will take a draw at Turners Cross tonight (live on TG4 btw). City just arent playing too well at the moment, and the whole season is in danger of imploding very soon unless something drastic happens.

You're not very confident these days gimmick! I reckon Cork will be fine tonight.

Cork-Sligo (3-0)
    Derry-Rovers (2-0)
    Drogs-Bohs (1-1)
    Bray-UCD (1-0)

Harps-Shels (1-2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Im not confident as the goals are few and far between. We were held scoreless by Longford, where by all acounts should have scored at least one.

We beat a very poor Bray side by 3 and it should have been 8.

Derry on the other hand are scoring for fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Well Longford have a defensive record only bettered by yourselves, and generally sit back and soak up pressure. I wouldn't be too concerned. I have no reason to believe you won't beat Sligo.

Don't worry about Derry scoring for fun. At least not until November 18th ;) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I agree about the Drogheda vs Bohs match being the tie of the round. Doolin is under massive pressure from supporters over the way the team are performing and not getting results.

Both teams will want get that Setanta Cup and Euro place.

I fancy Drogheda.

I don't share your fear of Sligo Gimmick. We are at home against a 1st division team and the bookies have priced us up at 2/7...they are rarely wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Cork are really feeling the loss of Doyle now, it's only really kicked in months after he left. If they had Doyle in their side they would have no worries about winning the title whatsoever right now imo. Shels can close the gap on Cork and Derry to six points (Though Cork will have a game in hand) with a win tonight, next week it's Derry away. So win our next two games (And we're flying atm) and we're 3 points off Derry with the same amount of games played. We could sneak right back into this title picture but we need to sustain a fantastic run of form. However, the way we're playing atm with our big players on form, we are capable of that.

In the cup, Derry and Cork to both win is all I'm after. A Derry v Cork final means even if Shels finish third we get the UEFA cup spot (We'll already have the Setanta Cup thanks to Derry winning the league cup).

Thankfully the FAI have finally seen sense and the cup final is now after the final round of fixtures. This means the last few weeks of the season could be something special if it does turn into a real three way scrap in the league.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Predictions:

Cork City 2 - 0 Sligo Rovers
    Derry City 2 - 1 Shamrock Rovers
    Drogheda 3 - 2 Bohemians
    Bray Wanderers 0 - 1 UCD

Finn Harps 0 - 2 Shelbourne (Huzzah! :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

I'm predicting a 0-0 or 1-1 draw in Turners Cross tonight, with Rovers just sneaking it in the Showgrounds. I have a feeling that Rovers just might work the oracle in the FAI Cup this year, history just might repeat itself like when the Rovers beat Cork City in 1994 (Rovers leading the First Division, City leading the Premier Division, just like now!).

Here's to a victory for the Bit O'Red this evening! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ireland - FAI Cup
    20:39 September 23
    HT Bray Wanderers 2 - 0 UC Dublin
    HT Cork City 0 - 1 Sligo Rovers
    44' Drogheda United 2 - 0 Bohemians

39' Finn Harps 0 - 0 Shelbourne

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Well, Cork showed their class at the end. Congrats to Cork City, you were the best team during the night. Of course, if our defence could tackle, we could have gotten away with a draw. :-/ Ah well......

Did anyone else think that the referee was a bit erratic in his decisions tonight? Not bad decisions, it's just that he let some seemingly blatant fouls go while penalising players for less obvious challenges. Or perhaps it's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Shels, and specifically Joey Ndo, seemingly completley dominated the match tonight. 3-0 winners in the end, making us the leagues top scorers now.

Looking good but the real test is next week in Derry. Get a win there and we're 3 points off second and we've still to play Cork in Tolka. With the form we're in, I'm more confident then ever, we're not out of this one yet, but realistically second is still the target.

However it's great to see Shels finally playing great football, the kind we should have been playing all season. If we put a run together now we should get second, anything beyond that is a bonus.

As for the Cork game, watching it I'll repeat myself again. The gaping hole there for me was a real clincal striker. Cork as ever retained possession with ease and dominated in that area, yet lacked real cutting edge against Sligo who could have got a replay out of a game they never deserved to draw. Cork really need that 20+ goal a season man in the Byrne mould and it looked like Doyle was the man before he went. O'Flynn is a pale shadow of the one who light up the league and the U21 scene a few years back before his injuries,

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Im just home from the Bray V UCD game. It was a pretty decent game, your typical cup tie but both teams quality was pretty disappointing. Bray were the better side in the first half and deserved their 2 goal lead. UCD had very little chances. The second half was a totally different story where UCD dominated as Bray sat back and just hoofed the ball up the field. Although they did score on the break Bray offered nothing else and UCD had countless chances and should have equalised. They were refused a stonewall penalty at the end as well as pip Keogh climbed all over the UCD forward and took him down.

Despite being 3-0 up at one stage Bray were very lucky to come away with the win. Decent enough game for me come back to after not seeing a Bray game for a while. Crowd was very disappointing though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Well done to Sligo, for coming to play the game the way it is meant to be played tonight.

Some Premier manages should look at what Sligo did tonight and take notes.(Alan I'm looking in your direction ;) )

O'Grady is a premier division player as was shown tonight.

Cork City were poor in the first half but they come out a different team in the 2nd half when George O'Callaghan and O'Donovan upped the tempo.

The sending off was the big decision and it looked like it was only a matter of time before the goal was scored.

It eventually came from good work by O'Donovan(got a new song tonight), and O'Flynn only had a tap in.

I agree with Slash E/D in that Flynny looked a shadow of his former self, but he still is effective. The front of today's Mirror section stated that Zayed is not getting his game in Norway. City should definately make an offer for him at the end of the season. He's pacy and will only get better playing in Turners Cross.

Well done Drogheda tonight and Bray.

Bold Shels!...Stop winning! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Shels run is simply amazing. Something has to give at the Brandy next week. While Id like to see both lose in order to stop both teams impressive run, I think this could be a draw, and Id be quite happy with that.

Sligo will be a good premier division team next year. They played some very good foiotball, and look alot better than Premier Division teams like Harps, Bray, UCD and St Pats.

Good win for City. I thought Roy was excellent, Flynn had some flashes - good poachers finish. I agree with the above sentiments though, he looks off the pace, and not half the player he was before the injury at Belfield.

Advertisement