Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gasket

Options
  • 23-09-2005 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

astra, i have a picture of the engine.

All along the head gasket there is wet oil, and little splatters of it around the front of the gasket and mount.

Does it mean the head gaskett has gone before? ot ir is about to go?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Does it mean the head gaskett has gone before? ot ir is about to go?
    It doesn't necesarily mean either! If the oil is coming out from the head gasket now then it has already failed! If the oil is not coming out now then it could be from anywhere, from someone leaving the oil filler cap off (I've seen this and it can make a horrible mess of the engine bay depending on the engine design) to the gasket having gone before. If the gasket failed before it's not something you should overly concern yourself with, so long as it was repaired properly-it can happen any any car!

Are you losing oil now? Any signs of oil in your coolant expansion tank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Bartonprince

Not to sure. if you give me your e-mail addresss i can send you a picture of the sngine for you to look at?

CHeers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You can post your picture on this thread as an attatchment see my one as an example

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

At last someone i can keep out here.

I have an Astra and the same thing happened. It is a common problem on the Astra due to a design fault with the engine block clyinder head.

On one of the cylinders (left hand side as you look down at the engine) is too close to the edge of the block and the thickest of the gasket at this point is thinner than the rest of the gasket and is prone to leak.

I bought my astra knowing that i would have to change it. Ask them to change it to an alloy gasket, it will last longer than a rubber gasket.

€290 with an Opel Dealer and i got a free replacement car for a couple of days. 20k miles after its still flying.

The head gasket should be changed around 60k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

What year is the Astra ?

• Advertisement

93'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

It doesn't neccesarily mean there is anything wrong. A lot of these cars, especially those Astras, is it a 1.4 8 v SOHV, weep oil from there. It doesn't mean it needs changing.

It would be unusual for a leaking head gasket to produce "spatters" so if tyhe oil level is reducing you may need to investigate further. It possible you may instead have a water pump or power steering pump leak !

Best thing would be to buy a little swarfega hand cleaner and use a paintbrush to brush it well in, leave for 15 minutes and wash off with a few kettles full of hot water. If you do so over a drain you wont mess up the road too much (swargega would be going down a drain after you wash your hands anyway)

Then just drive it as usual and check every evening to see if you can source the leak .

Goo luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Is the oil located near the cylinder head gasket or the rocker cover gasket? The latter is a very common cause of oil leaks and is a trivial thing to fix. OTOH I don't recall ever seeing oil dripping down the outside of an engine from a blown cylinder head gasket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

BrianD3 wrote:
    ......cover gasket? The latter is a very common cause of oil ........ dripping down the outside of an engine from a blown cylinder head gasket.

yeah, rocker cover gasket is common cause and i did see oil dripping down on the side of few engines.

specially, when some muppet did seperate head from block with a chisel or head wasn't torqued properly

can i e-mail a pciture to someone and they can post it here? i'm having real trouble uploading from work. someone PM me the e-mail address and then i'll send it onto you. it's kinda important because the car is mine from tomorrow!

Cheers

• Advertisement

check your PM box

Mike.

done

Right heres the pic, its too far back but it tells me the leak is from the rocker cover which is just a nusicance not a drama. You can get a replacement for a few euro in the opel dealer on the Cork road. As stated by others its common enough.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Right heres the pic, its too far back but it tells me the leak is from the rocker cover which is just a nusicance not a drama. You can get a replacement for a few euro in the opel dealer on the Cork road. As stated by others its common enough.

Mike.

Thanks very much. Does that engine look ok to you? Paying 300 quid for the car. It's a fella's wifes car and it's just sitting there.

Its impossible to tell if an engines okay by looking at it, many an engine may be sparkling clean but dog rough when it starts (if it starts!), as you're only spending 300 it might have a few glitches which you'll discover in the next few weeks. Don't panic though, on such a simple car nothing will be hard to diagnose or expensive to fix.

When you buy it give it a simple service with fresh oil and filter, new air filter if the current one is dirty. New spark plugs (Champion), check the coolant - if its not green or blue then empty the system and refill with fresh 50/50 mix of coolant and water.

Keep an eye on the battery light, if its been sat for a while the charge may be a bit low and with the Autumn here more current is used for lights, wipers, blower etc.

Mike.

can i get you to have a look at it on Sunday for me?

I'm from Waterford as well.

my gf's dad motored around the place in it last night, and he said it was lovely. he told the guy that if i didn't take, he would. (he has a beemer and a 05' sang yoong jeep)

The fella selling it is really nice and apparently loaded, he just wants someone to look after the car coz he's wife got a new one.

Want a pic of it from the side?

sent them to your e-mail. see if it's worth 300?

can i get you to have a look at it on Sunday for me?

I'll have to say no, not cos I'm a bastard of anything but simply cos if I look at it and say its fine and then you buy it and its not fine, you'll blame me for giving you a bum steer! I find its best to avoid making bad decisions
    which might cost someone else money. Hope you understand.

If your G/Fs dad reckons its okay then chances are its fine (esp if he is willing to spend money buying it!).

Mike.

haha. I'm buying the car... I just need someone to look at it and tell me what needs to be done on it before i put it through the NCT test.

The car is as good as bought. i just need to collect it.

It's ok if you can;t look at it, i'll bring it to a garage, i just wanted to know what to get changed etc.

Because to be honest... looking under the bonnet of a car... i might as well be lookin up a cows arse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Looking at your other thread...

Your'e spending €2,300 in insurance on a €300 Astra with an oil leak...

Can I interest you in a bag of magic beans ?

• Advertisement

haha thats sorted, i can get fully comp for 990 euro =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭30-6shooter

Wer`d ya get that quote then?

Advertisement