Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McCullough Vs Dunne

Options
  • 23-09-2005 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

Okay lads lets try get a discussion going. Bernard has now moved down to Super Bantam were he is to fight for the IBC.

McCullough is quoted on sky sports saying that he is defo not finished & is looking for a fight http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,1-1196666,00.html

Who would win between the very experienced pocket rocket and the new up & coming Dunne???? any thoughts???? I must say that it would have the making of a cracker & would attract a lot of people & maybe even sell out the point. :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Do you really think Dunne is ready to take the step up to fight McCullough, who's had how many world title fights???

I, for one, don't.

Don't get me wrong, I think Dunne is a great prospect, but he'd need 4 or 5 more fights, by which stage I really hope McCullough has retired. Seeing Leavander Johnson, rest in peace, pass away 5 days after sustaining swelling around the brain during his fight, makes me really worry for McCullough, after seeing the brutal punishing he took from Harrison, and the number of blows landed by Larios. He can't keep going on taking that kind of punishment, I think he's an absolute legend of a fighter, who's got nothing to prove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

joker77 wrote:
    Do you really think Dunne is ready to take the step up to fight McCullough, who's had how many world title fights???

I, for one, don't.

Don't get me wrong, I think Dunne is a great prospect, but he'd need 4 or 5 more fights, by which stage I really hope McCullough has retired. Seeing Leavander Johnson, rest in peace, pass away 5 days after sustaining swelling around the brain during his fight, makes me really worry for McCullough, after seeing the brutal punishing he took from Harrison, and the number of blows landed by Larios. He can't keep going on taking that kind of punishment, I think he's an absolute legend of a fighter, who's got nothing to prove.

I also think McCullough should retire, however, I think he would overwhelm Dunne and stop him. Dunne was in limbo after being caught be a journay man and got through with a lot of help from the referee and most americans who saw the Valdez fight tell me he actually LOST to Valdez. I will reserve judgement on how he is at Super bantam though, but I'd favour the Pocket Rocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

akindoc wrote:
    ...however, I think he would overwhelm Dunne and stop him.....

Agreed, at the moment I just don't think they're in the same league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

Yeah I also think McCullough beats Dunne if they were to fight in the near future. There's no way Dunne would be able to stop him and we know that Wayne can still do 12 rounds no problems. I think the time is right for McCullough to retire though. He's earned the respect of everyone who counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Geiger wrote:
    Yeah I also think McCullough beats Dunne if they were to fight in the near future. There's no way Dunne would be able to stop him and we know that Wayne can still do 12 rounds no problems. I think the time is right for McCullough to retire though. He's earned the respect of everyone who counts.

agree completely .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I'd disagree. All respect to McCullough but he's past his best and I believe Dunne would make the step up to beat him. Wayne has far more experience but I think Dunne is a surprisingly powerful bantamweight fighter and he'd punish Wayne with his left hooks to the body.

It would be a cracking fight. It would have a Ali v Holmes feel to it though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

Dunne is really coming on as a fighter but I still think Wayne beats him in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Geiger wrote:
    Dunne is really coming on as a fighter but I still think Wayne beats him in this one.

yet again , I agree completely .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Wayne is just a cut above, right now...

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

To be honest, Wayne should not be near a ring at this stage. And even though he is so well past it, he would probably still be too strong for Bernard. No disrespect to Dunne, he is just not in the top notch league.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement