Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change last name

Options
  • 23-09-2005 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi eveyone,

Can someone please help me!
    Well tell you all i gave birth when i was 20 years old left the father and found someone else,that was 12 years ago,no cotact from "real" dad,and married my man 4 years ago and we have a son now 3 years old.
    My eldest son still has my maiden name and now would like to change it to my married name before he goes into secondary which is next year, can anyone tell me how we can do this without any hassle..

Thanks

Blueeyes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You husband can apply to adopt your first child, giving him the smae surname as the rest of the fmaily and legal taking on the responsiblity of the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 blueeyes

but will the "real" dad have to know?

If you were not married to him at the time of the birth and his name is not on the birthcert and he has not applied for gaurdianship then he has legally and
    currently no claim on the child.

What about is it called a deed poll? how does that work?

• Advertisement

Thank you very much Thaed it was a great help and i will ring them on monday.

Thanks. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭tirl

The common usage idea is the least amount of hassle, but for future it's best to go the deed poll route, with the common usage you just have to prove that the name the child is using is the one that he is known by, this means getting a letter from his school and your GP saying that this is the name he is know to them as.

An important point is to make sure you contact the dept that issues PPS numbers as these are now all issued for children and your PPS number links to a lot of other stuff so make sure you inform them of the change of name. It is best to get all this done before he starts secondary school as it will save him embarresment and sec schools are always looking for birth certs PPS cards, Passposrts and the like. I have been through this so if you want to PM me if you have any further questions feel free

T

Thanks tirl,

Yes my son said he would like it changed before he gets into secondary school, and i only got his new passport last month....how long will it take before he can use the new second name?

blueeyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thaedydal wrote:
    If you were not married to him at the time of the birth and his name is not on the birthcert and he has not applied for gaurdianship then he has legally and
    currently no claim on the child.

SWEET! I'm in almost exactly the same position (but I'm the equivalent of the husband in this instance). Nice to know. Thanks. :)

I do see how that maybe sweet but it is also sad on someways.
    I know many kids are unfortunatly better of with thier biological father out
    of the picture and in many case the biological father simply washed thier
    hands and walked away and many kids grow up happy with thier 'Dad' being
    the person who show them love everyday and is the hands on parent and
    male role model and never feel the need to look any futher but I do think
    that it is a sad state of affairs .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

well, usage is the easiest (and cheapest) way but let me tell you, as an adult, its a pain in the rear... When i was born my mother gave me my father's surname. His name was not on my birth cert as at that time you couldnt legally put a man on a birth cert if he was married to someone else (even if they are separated). This didnt become a pain until i had to get a drivers licence. They needed a bunch of extra documentation (as they go by the name on your birth cert) in order for me to get my usual surname on the licence. And it then became a pain when i had to get a passport renewed.

All in all, deed poll is probably better in the long run, as then you have a legal document that states your surname that you can produce whenever the need arises.

Fox_in_Socks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Thaedydal wrote:
    I do see how that maybe sweet but it is also sad on someways.

100% see where you're coming from. I was only happy that I could adopt / do the name change thing without any grief.

I, for one, am glad that his biological father's not around. It's a bit of a paradox, but I'm glad he's not around because he was never around, if you get me. :)

Advertisement