Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance advice

• 23-09-2005 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

I'm a first time driver., i'm 24 for another month.

I had a provisional before but thats expired and i never used it.
    I am about to get my second licence now.

I bought a 93 Astra, 1.4GL.

I asked for a quote from Quinn Direct and they said 2380 euro!!!!!

I'm a fully grown man!!!

123.ie quoted 2500 even when i'm 25.

Any advice on reducing the cost. i though Quinn Direct were supposed to be very good.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Welcome to the world of high motor insurance in Ireland.

Once your are male, under 30 with a provisional licence and have 0 years NCB then you are going to the paying high insurance initially.

It doesn't matter if it is a 93 or a 03 Astra, they are insuring you against what you might hit rather than what you drive.

Really you should have got a few quotes before buying the Astra but that is redundent now. Did you ring around other insurance companies? Axa, Hibernian, etc. Get out the goldenpages and start ringing around is my advice. I'm afraid you are probably going to be looking at around the €2k mark anyway.

I hope I am wrong so best of luck.

Also I suggest you start applying for the driving test as soon as possible and get plenty of lessions and practice. The average waiting time for the test is 12 months these days I think at least get in the queue. Having a full licence can only reduce your premium next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Someone who's been in your position recently might be able to help but as you're a learner you'll pay through the nose regardless of your age esp as you are only 24 (grown man or not!).

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭whippet

from what I can see, you have no previous experience on the road, no insurance history .. 2.5K is about right ... it is expensive but that is the joys of motoring in ireland.

17, 24, 44 ... if you haven't proven that you are a safe bet on the road to the insurance company you will have to pay the loaded premium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Bartonprince

But a woman in the same position who hasn't proven herself a safe bet on the road same age as me, first provisional, no experience. She can get fully comp for 900 euro.

It's all these little arseholes in the 1990 toyota twin cams n stuff that make me pay more.

My girlfriend has a full drivers licence, been driving 5 years with no claims bonus. Can i get her insured (say it's her car) and then get insured as a named driver? her insurance is around 500 quid. What would it cost for me to get insured as a named driver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Bad idea doing that! you need to build up your NCB.

If you did that and five years down the road you want to insure under your own name its still going to be high because you have no NCB.

I dont know what you complaining about it was 4000e when i started three years ago. You have to start from somewhere. As said already welcome to the world of high insurance.

Shop around - Ring First Ireland on 01-8820800 and ask them for a quote.
    They are a broker in dublin and can get cheap quotes. My insurance is now 900e through Wright Way underwriting. So give them a ring and ask for Phil.

www.123.ie have an offered of insurance for 1123.00. Why not check that out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

if you increase the value of your car then your insurance will decrease, but as to how legal that is, is anyones guess

for example: provisional in a colt worth €1,200 - TPFT = €2,874
    provisional in a colt worth €4,500 - TPFT = €2,040

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

insurance is obviously a scam when a company called 123 offer insurance for 1123

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

It's all these little arseholes in the 1990 toyota twin cams n stuff that make me pay more.

Those "little arseholes" probablly have full licences, which is more then can be said for you. Book your test, take some lessons and pass your driving test.. A simple way to lower your insurance :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

my insurance is 1170, tpft.. on a 1.25l, 93 car. ive had my first provisional for nearly a year!

• Advertisement

Misticles wrote:
    my insurance is 1170, tpft.. on a 1.25l, 93 car. ive had my first provisional for nearly a year!

Who insured you and how old are you?

Misticles wrote:

Yes but isn't it because of them speeding (or thinking they are speeding by reving up to about 6k revs in first gear) that the premium for fella's is higher?

Look at all the ads...

They are "Little Arseholes"... ;-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

I drive a 97 Levin paying 850euro Fully Comp with Hibernian- Got 5yr Full/Clean Licence and 2 years NCB and I'm only 22! This is why my insurance isn't so expensive: I did my time, 2 years, paying over 2k for insurance, on a 1.4 Astra, and proved my worth as a competant driver!

Just suck it up and pay the money like we've all had to do, within a few years you'll get a reasonable quote!

Advertisement