Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Features

• 23-09-2005 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

Has anybody else noticed the new features on the ul computers. That first page that pops up when you log on has a link at the top called "My Site" When you click on it, it brings you to a page where you are able to save documents and pics and stuff. The front page of the "site" is public that anyone in UL can view it has your e-mail address and your able to add more contact details and add a pic of yourself and stuff.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,629 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Thats actually one area that my job entails. So here is actually a good place for feedback - if you want some features added or taken away, or any suggestions at all, tell me and ill see what i can do about it. Only one thing - if you dont like the whole setup, tough titties, its staying there.

You may also find that using mail2web also has its problems since the changeover to the UL domain. Before, you put in your email address as follows: idnumber@emailserver.ul.ie , emailserver being cronus or hermes or whatever. Now it doesnt work, but ill try and find out why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I have a suggestion. When you click on a link in the "my links" section make it open in a new window cause its really annoying trying to get back to where you started.

And I cant find a way of getting back to the site once I close the page that pops up when I log in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭IceHawk

LordChessington, are you involved in the new student portal pages as well? They look much better than the old ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

no that was me, he is just trying to take credit for it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Yeah they certainly are much better. But why the hell does it still take so long to log in? Here's a suggestion, why don't you arrange a system whereby your student profile is stored on your usb key (and also your username) so you can have a much space as you want for it? I think they're doing something like that in Waterford

• Advertisement

No, thats kodute. He looks after registration related things on the site. Im doing the main page that is supposed to come up when you log on.

Zapho, i cant do much about that, but i think they are planning on increasing profile size from 5mb to 10mb. Besides, i dont think its possible to implement something like that.

The profiles are stored on a central server and every time you log on with a computer in an appropriate lab, the profile is downloaded, and when you log off, the profile is saved on the server. But if its above the size limit, as you know, you cant log off. I think that what youre asking is if some people can store their profiles on their usb keys and some on the server, but you cant mix and match - it must be one or the other, and its not a good idea to tell everyone that they must buy a usb key in order to have a profile.

What you could do is cut and paste your profile (or parts of it) onto your usb key, but going between labs could produce some unexpected results when you paste your stored (usb) profile on top of the new one when logged on. Its an alternative, but its not recommended.

the usb idea is actually a very good one, they have keys out now that have an operating system on them and "take over" the host machine, saving all settings and changes to the key. Thats a way of doing it yourself but they are kinda expensive. ill look for the link to them.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

can we use this thread for bug_logging?

the student_portal is mangled in FireFox 1.5 Beta1.

see screen attached.

i actually noticed that, but its not my job to fix it! :D
    Anyway most of the university use IE so they will most likely tell you to lump it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

ffs. :mad:

Advertisement