Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intense LC course

Options
  • 23-09-2005 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

There's a very remote possibility that for reasons beyond my control I may end up back in Ireland this year which is absolutely disastrous. Is there any way to do the LC course in one year? Subjects I'd be taking would be Finnish(100% fluent, no problems here), English, maths(ordinary level), geography, Spanish, physics. I'd be exempt from Irish but could take it at ordinary level if needed as I did it for the junior cert.

I'm doing A Levels at the moment and have an AS in Spanish, am studying computing, English language and literature, psychology and general studies at A2 and am doing a quickie course in maths and science.

Unfortunately if it turns out that we have to move there is nothing I can do. I would hate to have to take an extra year in school and am very willing to put in loads of work in the year. I only need aroun 310-340 points for my college course anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

Definitely possible, as you said you're willing to put the effort in. TBH I think most courses in the leaving cert are dragged out too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

You could try it. Although don`t risk your health over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

You can do the A-Levels in Ireland, you know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

In the Republic? More specifically Dublin? I love you if this is true!!! Whereabouts?

well even if you have to stick to the LC you've got it pretty much covered. the new Geography course can be covered in a year. finnish is an A1 for you. English and Spanish, pretty much sorted? And maths and irish to finish. With enough effort on just the first 5 you could have your points wrapped up. Although i don't think you could do physics in one year, i suggest Economics as a replacement, very short course and quite do-able too!

• Advertisement

Computer Science(what I hope to do at uni) seems to like lab sciences though. Which would be the easiest to do in a year? Economics I may give a shot. Doesn't seem too bad from what I've heard.

What is the English course like? I've done Hard Times, some modern poetry and reports. I've also just started Othello. From what I've heard off my friends the Irish course has a load of poems to learn off and King Lear? Eeek. We're allowed bring our books into some of our exams over here in Birmingham.

well when would you be doing it? 2006? If so www.skool.ie is your safest place to go, they have the syllabi for all courses.

My own opinion of ease of course and do-ability in a year

1. Economics (started 2 weeks ago, for june)
    2. Geography (new course, first exam will be almost identical to sample paper)
    3. Business studies (the A1 class in our school is finished the course already and starting revision)

Accounting isn't too long either, but it's probably not a year-thing.

That's just my own (business-ssy) opinion, i'm sure others will say other things

Try Andrews in Booterstown, you can do the Bac there so there's a good chance you can do the A-Levels. There was a thread on this recently, and there's definitely a place in Dublin you can do them

Got this here: http://www.britishcouncil.org/ireland-education-faq.htm

Where can I take A-levels in Ireland?

"At present there is only one place that offers A-Levels in Ireland. The Dublin Tutorial Centre can be contacted on +353 (0)1 661 2209."

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! If they had computing it would be perfect! And I'm doing English lang and lit, not English lit and the courses are different. Psychology would have been perfect though. *sniffle*. Thank you so much for the info Funkstard. I wonder if they'd let me do my subjects on my own and just show up for psychology lessons...

• Advertisement

Ring them up and see if they can accomodate you or something

Sent them a message asking about it. Fingers crossed!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Good luck, I hope you find somewhere that you can do A-levels, but if not well many of the LC courses are certainly doable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

can you even do finnish as an LC subject???

Yeh you can

Thanks for all your help! I've received an email bank from the tutorial centre and they said they can facilitate me for everything except computing. Thankfully it's starting to seem like the moving may not be happening after all as it hasn't been mentioned in the past few days. As fantastic as it would be to move back to Dublin earlier than in the summer it would really screw up my chances of getting into uni.

Advertisement