Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi-room Sound

Options
  • 23-09-2005 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭

Have a question which I hope some of you will know the answer to.

I am basically interested in getting some kind of soundsystem setup in two different rooms in my house. I dont think it will be as simple as just putting one speaker of my stereo into the other room, because as you know music is usually sepereated into different channels so that what comes out off one speaker is different than another. I am also looking for a decent sound throughout both rooms.

Any advice as to what is the best way / system for achieving this? I have a pc and stereo with 5 speakers currently if those are of any use.

Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Are you looking (a) at playing the same track at the same time in different rooms or (b) are you looking at playing one thing from your music collection in one room and another song from the same collection in a different room?

If (a), then most hifi amps have outputs for 2 sets of speakers (sometimes this is combined as Bi-wiring). This would then involve running two pairs of speaker cable into each room concerned. You switch between speakers a and b or both on the amp.

If (b) then you could store your music on your PC as mp3 (or your preferred flavour) and set up a wireless (or wired if nearby) network to a laptop that you plug in via the headphones into one of the inputs on the stereo.
    A second solution to this would be to get some sort of wireless media adaptor like this or this or any other varient of these, with the advantage that you get a remote control to control what is playing.

I have the second option running in my house and find it most successful. I just picked up a bog standard ancient laptop at some office sale that were getting rid of them. I was going to set up a wireless network anyway so it all sort of fitted together. I use Itunes which allows the music collection to be streamed across the LAN, I'm sure other media players do similar.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Cool Ill give that a try. Thanks for your help.

Advertisement