Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards crashing in IE frequently

Options
  • 23-09-2005 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

What is the deal with this?

I had a massive, massive reply for a thread and I went to post it and it just crashed. Now I've lost it :mad:

It seems to happen whenever I post a big reply. It happens with PM's too very once in awhile.

Don't say its just me, because it isn't, it happens me both at work and home,.....just so annoying when you have an absolutely huge post to eh...post and it gets lost, and you can't just write the entire thing out again.

Anyone shed any light on this? Thanks.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

it is quite annoying,it happens a good bit.so damn annoying when you have written a pm for twenty minutes :/
    usually happens when i quote somebody and when i hit submit the window freezes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

em...

http://www.getfirefox.com

Never happened to me on firefox, and it does pwn tbh, its about twenty billion times better than ie, and there really is no excuse to stick with ie.

Now it might not be just you, but I don't think its anything to do with boards either so this really should be in on of the computer boards, perhaps windows...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

Try writing the post out in notepad first and then copy and pasting into the post reply box. Its probably the webpage timing out when writing long posts, or maybe the posts are too long and vB won't accept them.

Does any error message appear or does IE (I take it it is just internet explorer you are using) just crash?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

how long is long?
    Are you starting replying or quick replying..? Is it only when Replying?
    Inserting any rich media?
    Do you have any added, 3rd party toolbars?

Tested OK with large amounts of text ...
    So,at this point I will say it's just you ... not your computer..not IE...just you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well Tar Aldarion has said above he suffers the odd time too, its not EVERY time I write something long or overly quoted, just every once and awhile.

It doesn't actually crash; rather it freezes and you can't do anything with the open window, and within the window goes totally white and fills with whatever you are running over it eg wordpad, ms word, a picture, whatever.

I use firefox alot recently but I tried to use it there the last day and it now won't open. I click on it and nothing happens, even after a restart. The issue doesn't happen on FF alright, but until I get time to uninstall and reinstall, and especially at work, it kinda annoying when ya do have a really long message written...will save in wordpad next time ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i have taken to ctrl+c'ing my pms,that sorted me out grand when it freezes.when it freezes and you minimize it it wont even come up again...so annoying...
    It's a rare thing these days though(although it happened yesterday and today).about a month ago it was really ****ed up and if i did get a message posted,i couldn't edit it.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

i have taken to ctrl+c'ing my pms,that sorted me out grand when it freezes.when it freezes and you minimize it it wont even come up again...so annoying...
    It's a rare thing these days though(although it happened yesterday and today).about a month ago it was really ****ed up and if i did get a message posted,i couldn't edit it.
    Yeah, for long messages I always ctrl+a, ctrl+c at random just in case FF crashes or boards.ie burps or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Yes this is a great nuisance, It crashes in me very regurarly, I can send no Pm's via IE6 and i have made a habit of copying everything i type into MS word before hitting submit on IE i don't like Firefox and i would hope that it could be sorted, I have to use Firefox to PM anyone and it is getting to be a pain in the ..... :rolleyes:

Fix it please, i like using Microsoft based products after all they made computer affordable and are the industry leader, i always stick with the company, like, Eircom for telephones, ESB for electricity etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

netwhizkid wrote:
    Fix it please, i like using Microsoft based products after all they made computer affordable and are the industry leader, i always stick with the company, like, Eircom for telephones, ESB for electricity etc.

*abusive language and "wetpisskid" jokes/taunting removed*

(I don't want to get banned from feedback, I quite like reading it.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Yeah it freezes a lot when I try and send P.M.s and then when I re-try it does the same. It gets so I can't reply to a P.M. for a day or so. I've had to start copying things to Word before clicking to submit.

• Advertisement

netwhizkid wrote:
    You have got to be some kind of a troll.

/me reins in temper and walks away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Wierd, i cant think of a single time this has happenend to me, im using firefox :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Yeh I think it's something to do with when you quote somebody as I've written in notepad and pasted in and it has worked when i didn't quote someone. It's odd.

Ry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

NetWhizKid wrote:

Jesus in a basket, the rod up your ass must have a rod up it's ass.

Without healthy competition, the 'computers and technology' that you don't know where we'd be without would not be in any way comprable to what we are using right now. It is competition that forces companies to improve their product and stop them from stagnating. If you want to pay more money for an inferior product, go ahead, but it is scary how brainwashed by media you seem to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

netwhizkid wrote:
    Please, please let this be sarcasm, or something similar.

I thought mindsets like this existed only in Phil Nolan's dreams...

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Now now, netwhizkid is a multimillionaire, he knows what he's talking about...

Although that post doesn't quite square with him having a debs to not to go to!?

Say this mantra to yourself constantly netwhizkid...
    I must stick to one lie!
    I must stick to one lie!
    I must stick to one lie!
    I must stick to one lie!
    I must stick to one lie!...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

pppft.
    Youre all mistaken.
    Heres another story:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3141320&postcount=101

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Here's a question:

Why don't you try and troubleshoot the problem instead of just fucking moaning about it, and asking someone - who's time is already limited - to fix it for you?

Fuck sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Magic beans? More like late-90s dotcom shares, I'd say.

As to the original post, I use Firefox all the time with no problems, but sometimes when using IE in internet cafés, it does crash regularly when replying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

netwhizkid wrote:
    Yes this is a great nuisance, It crashes in me very regurarly, I can send no Pm's via IE6 and i have made a habit of copying everything i type into MS word before hitting submit on IE i don't like Firefox and i would hope that it could be sorted, I have to use Firefox to PM anyone and it is getting to be a pain in the ..... :rolleyes:

Oh My God!

You have some serious issues

i used to think you were just annoying, now i have realised you are a complete fúcking tool

Edit: Funniest thread he strated EVAR. Except he was being serious

ah wetpisskid, one of my finer comedic naming moments

So yeah, haven't used IE in a long while, so can't help Mobile infancy either

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

You do know that the most expensive part of the computer is the windows operating system?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Before this gets too far off topic, a large number of IE problems can be resolved by simply disabling third-party browser extensions.

Go to Tools Menu / Internet Options / Advanced / (Browsing) and ensure Enable Third Party Browser Extensions is turned OFF.

This will disable Google Toolbar and any other handy add-ons you have installed, as well as (most likely) a bunch of crap you didn't know you had installed.

Whatever else you say about Microsoft, their software tends to work more reliably on its own than when combined with other products...

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

seamus wrote:
    Here's a question:

Why don't you try and troubleshoot the problem instead of just ****ing moaning about it, and asking someone - who's time is already limited - to fix it for you?

**** sake.

Thats worth a ban cause my auntie used to be a catholic before she died and would not have tolerated this type of language :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Forget it Tenshot: they just want to moan from the looks of it. I asked for some information to actually try lead this to a productive end (look how far that went)..
    To them, I say: do as suggested previously: write a reeeally long, boring and whiny (The usual form) message in notepad/Word (If you'd like to stick to Microsoft), only don't copy and don't paste.

Furthermore: Bah!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

netwhizkid wrote:

As opposed to who else for telephones and electricity, precisely? :)
    CuLT wrote:
    Now now, netwhizkid is a multimillionaire, he knows what he's talking about...

He's also unusually close to being able to speak English, for a troll.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Started another thread on this earlier without spotting this one, basically
    Me wrote:
    For me, IE (v6 sp1) seems to freeze with 100% cpu usage if I try and post a medium/long reply with a quote in it. Long replies without quotes, and short replies with/withouth quotes seem unaffected, the length of the quote itself doesn't seem to matter either. I've been playing around with a thread in the test forum but haven't found the exact lengths yet.

It happens as soon as I press the submit reply button, so I'm thinking it's maybe some kind of client side validation script is the problem ? Is this happening for anyone else ?

(Firefox as always seems unaffected)
    It used to happen me a while ago, and I thought it was just sods law that it happened with long posts, then it stopped for a while, but it happened me a few times with the one post today, so I decided to mess around in the test forum with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

stevenmu wrote:
    Started another thread on this earlier without spotting this one, basically

It used to happen me a while ago, and I thought it was just sods law that it happened with long posts, then it stopped for a while, but it happened me a few times with the one post today, so I decided to mess around in the test forum with it.
    Did you have any luck?

Disable Javascript in IE and continue to mess around, I have a sneaky feeling IE is doing something stupid.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote:
    I have a sneaky feeling IE is doing something stupid.
    Never? I don't believe you! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement