Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards crashing in IE frequently

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Is fine with javascript disabled (boards seems noticeably quicker with it off too :) ). Having a quick look through the relevant script files the problem seems to be in function stripcode (vbulletin_global.js), which is called by function validate message (same file) which is called by validatepost (vbulletin_stdedit.js) which is called by the onsubmit trigger of the reply form.

stripcode takes a parameter stripquotes which if true leads into 2 while loops, using regular expressions and the strings replace function to remove [quote tags.

Without being able to modify the code and experiment (and to be honest, it's nearly quitting time), I'm guessing that if the message is too long the 'replace' function is falling over, leaving [quote tags in and menaing the while loops condition remains true. Or else that path isn't intended to be used in IE in the first place, I can't actually find where stripquotes is being set to true, when the function above is calling stripcode, it uses a variable ignorequotechars which I can find being set to 0 but can't see it being set to 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

netwhizkid wrote:
    Yes this is a great nuisance, It crashes in me very regurarly, I can send no Pm's via IE6 and i have made a habit of copying everything i type into MS word before hitting submit on IE i don't like Firefox and i would hope that it could be sorted, I have to use Firefox to PM anyone and it is getting to be a pain in the ..... :rolleyes:

Fix it please, i like using Microsoft based products after all they made computer affordable and are the industry leader, i always stick with the company, like, Eircom for telephones, ESB for electricity etc.

I honestly dont know what to say. I was always told, if you have nothing nice to say, then dont say anything at all. So I wont start ripping into you for your valid opinions no matter how strongly I disagree with them :D .
    If you want to use MS products, then by all means dont let anyone stop you. You are wrong in a few points though, as already stated, the Windows OS is the most expensive componant in the computers system, and MS were not responsible for driving down the cost of the computer system, competition was. Microsoft is not the industry leader, there is no specific leader as such, but in each market there are dominant companies. Microsoft has the desktop OS market cornered, the browser market almost cornerd and that wont be the case in the next few years as Firefoxes market share is growing faster then the chinese economy. UNIX has the server market cornered with 90% of web servers running some varient of UNIX, I may be wrong my this is just a guesstimate. Eircom is the most expensive land line operator in europe with the highest cost of line rental, calls and low broadband rollout makes them the most inefficient ISP as well.

Anyway, I have never had a problem using this site, but guess what, I use Firefox 1.5

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

And so it begins.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement