Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

funny laws in Ireland

Options
  • 23-09-2005 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hello All,
    I'm doing a project at the moment on hitch hiking in time and I need a few funny laws, brehon or viking. I'm looking for ones that could apply to a visitor to the country such as being drunk and disorderly or the consequences of hitting on a warriors woman ! Anyone any suggestions as I am really stuck and need some help !!! :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

Ducks have right of way on traffic at all times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

check out http://www.dumblaws.com

apparently in some state in america its illegal to kiss a fish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Lady Lola

Ha Ha ! Some of them are great, America is a really wierd place. Thanks for the link and the duck law (!?!) Need Irish laws though, and I cant find anything, even some moral guidelines would do at this stage ! Gimme some help here Please !!!!:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

Lady Lola wrote:
    Ha Ha ! Some of them are great, America is a really wierd place. Thanks for the link and the duck law (!?!) Need Irish laws though, and I cant find anything, even some moral guidelines would do at this stage ! Gimme some help here Please !!!!:confused:

apparantly, a taxi is legally always supossed to carry hay in the back.
    (goes back to the days when taxis were horse and carraige)

It is legal to crap on a public street, but not to p*ss

it is legal to drink on the street, so long as the bottle is covered with a bag or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

under brehon law, you could be fined a tenth of everything you woned for refusing food to a pregnant woman.

not exactly a "stupid" law mind you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

If you ask a police man for his hat to pee in he must give it to you in the UK.
    Also in TCD apparently one Catholic may be killed every year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

wbailey wrote:

It is legal to crap on a public street, but not to p*ss

if i remember correctly a guard has to cover you with their jacket if they catch you having a cr*p in the street..........

like to see someone try though

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

A law with the Tuatha De Danann was that no man imperfect in form could be king, so when Nuada lost his hand in a battle he also lost his crown...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭samb

I think that law about the police man was for a pregnant woman. She pisses in the hat and he hides her with his cloak.

Is there some law about shooting catholics form trinity or something like that. Also a man can piss on the back wheel of his carriage (Car) with one hand up on vehicle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭GusherING

In TCD when doing your exams, you can ask for a mug of brandy before you begin them. My mate did this, saying it was in some old rule book he found. The exam invigilators looked up the rule book themselves and found that for him to get his brandy he first had to surrender his sword to them. Obviously he didn't have a sword so he got no brandy, Funny all the same though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

GusherING wrote:
    In TCD when doing your exams, you can ask for a mug of brandy before you begin them. My mate did this, saying it was in some old rule book he found. The exam invigilators looked up the rule book themselves and found that for him to get his brandy he first had to surrender his sword to them. Obviously he didn't have a sword so he got no brandy, Funny all the same though. ;)
    And how much time did he waste in his exam before they reached this conclusion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭EOA_Mushy

if i remember correctly a guard has to cover you with their jacket if they catch you having a cr*p in the street..........

like to see someone try though

I'd want a lawyers knowledge of law before attempting this one...
    Dont think the cops are going to love you one way or another...lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭wayfarer

GusherING wrote:

lol your mate did this :rolleyes:

We were told this story by a lecturer back in first year only he said that they gave him the brandy (or I think it might have been port.. anyway) but afterwards fined him because he didn't have his sword by his desk.

Heard a few months after that it didn't happen in TCD at all but in Kings Inn and then heard some time later that it was from neither of these, that it's actually a tale from either Oxfod or Cambridge, I can't remember which.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

In brehon law a woman could divorce her husband for things like having bad breath and being a crap shag. And to keep the society reasonably equal, stable and united, the land would be periodically collectivised and the clan members would be given an equal share. That's not really funny but it wouldn't go down too well these days I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

GusherING wrote:

Yawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

This looks like a lazy journalist trying to get others to do his/her work. Ho hum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭wayfarer

lol snopes really does take the fun out of everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

The hoary old chestnut in this department was the one about being entitled to £5 for each head of a rebel or head of a wolf you could deliver to Dublin castle. Supposedly a piece of legislation from the 16th entury still technically in force today though probably an urban legend I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭coyote6

Check out www.dumblaws.com for weird laws from across the globe. I work as a cop in a town inhabited by lots of Appalachians. They have their own "laws" one of which is "yu cain't urrest a pregnunt wuman" and then there's the guy who can't believe you arrest him for beating the living crap out of his wife.

Then there's this: It's bad when you show up to a domestic where the dad is yelling at his 12 yr. old daughter for smoking crack in front of their kids.

Yeah I know... wrong in SOOOO many ways!:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement