Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would YOU take part in an Irish offline tournament?

Options
  • 23-09-2005 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Ok the poll options r pretty self-explanatory, check THIS thread for details!

Please dont bitch about the prices I put down, they r only placeholders for what would roughly have 2 b charged in order 2 bread even on organisation/prizes etc.

Which of these games would u play in a tournament/league/WCG qualifier? 24 votes

Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne (10€ to register)
    0% 0 votes
    Dawn of War: Winter Assault (10€ to register)
    20% 5 votes
    Starcraft : Broodwar (10€ to register)
    29% 7 votes
    Counterstrike : Source (10€ to register)
    8% 2 votes
    too expensive / not interested / Cork and Dublin r 2 far away
    41% 10 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

No offence but you should hit the Lan scene thats here already, thats were most of the players will come from.

ie midlans GalLan xiiiiiii etc:

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭unityofsaints

KdjaC wrote:
    No offence but you should hit the Lan scene thats here already, thats were most of the players will come from.

ie midlans GalLan xiiiiiii etc:

kdjac

Ye true been holding small lans here (Clonakilty, Co. Cork) for last 2 yrs, private though and only with around 10 people.

The prob about going 2 bigger lans (for me personally) is that they r far away and also the only game I play (to any degree of skill) at the moment is WC3, which is usually disregarded. My friends and I r all big fans of WC3 so thats y we have 20-30hr lans just for WC 3.

Then again, now that I'm looking seriously into organising this WCG, I might go 2 bigger lans just 2 rally support and get my ass whopped in UT ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I'd be up for a CS:Source LAN match for sure. I live in Carlow though, so Dublin'd be a bit irritating to get to with my PC in tow.

What'd be cool if someone would set up an official Irish league of CS:Source, along the same thread as the PESLeague. The problem is organisation I suppose, the funding of events etc. I'd be happy to do it, though I'm guessing the majority of people interested would be Dublin based and would not be interested in trapsing down to lesser travelled parts of the country.

I'd set up a server on Jolt.co.uk for Boards members exclusively if I knew there was enough interest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

and also the only game I play (to any degree of skill) at the moment is WC3, which is usually disregarded. My friends and I r all big fans of WC3 so thats y we have 20-30hr lans just for WC 3.
    20-30 hours i want in! :p
    what are you and your friends names on battle.cnet so i can check out yere profiles and whatnot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭angelofdeath

yeah i'd play in the cs:source competition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Unreal Tournament 2004 would be a good addition to the list

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Quake 4 will be released in a couple of weeks, and that would be ideal for LAN tournaments in Ireland. It will be the game of choice for the CPL, and will surely be included in WCG and any other major 'esports' tournaments. If you have good prizes in a Quake 4 1v1 tourney you will have no trouble filling a medium sized venue... assuming its not in Clonakilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭unityofsaints

20-30 hours i want in! :p
    what are you and your friends names on battle.cnet so i can check out yere profiles and whatnot.

Well the other guys dont have bnet accounts but mine is "unityofsaints" on northrend.. its below 50% i know but ive only had it 3 months and ive let other ppl play on it ;)

We play mostly land anyway... r u a regular player?

@Kazujo: I purposely only included games that r part of the current WCG (www.worldcybergames.com)

@Illkillya: Im not so sure about quake 4 getting into the WCG, the last ID game to be included was Quake 3 which was a dedicated online game, quake 4 isnt, I could b wrong though :)

@Illkillya: Im not so sure about quake 4 getting into the WCG, the last ID game to be included was Quake 3 which was a dedicated online game, quake 4 isnt, I could b wrong though :)
    Regardless of whatever the last ID game to be included was, the last Quake game to be included was Q4's direct predecessor. The main reason why Q3 was dropped, imo, was because of the waning interest in the community, and a dwindling number of players as the game neared the end of its lifetime. Q4, is essentially going to be a Q3 remake as far as I can see, and will be focusing on multiplayer in a way that Doom 3 did not.

The fact that the CPL announced the inclusion of Q4 as their main game 2 months before it was even released promises that it will be well suited to multiplayer competition. Whether it is or not, there will be a huge amount of gamers trying to get their hands on the first $100,000 prize the CPL has to offer, and the WCG would be stupid not to take advantage of that.

RopeDrink wrote:
    However, don't forget that CS is now pretty much divided into two groups. CS:S and CS1.6. I wouldn't play in a CS:S game considering I'm too used to the old version, as well as the fact that I've only tried Source once, and it wasn't my cup of tea.

Try to remember that when it comes to the poll - You'll need to be clear on what form of CS you are considering to use (either or both) for a competition.
    If this is linked to the other thread about WCG then I would guess that it would be Source, since the WCG dropped old CS some time ago and went with CS:S in 2005. I doubt they'd go backwards but you'd never know.

• Advertisement

true... out of curiosity, whats the ratio like in the Irish CS scene these days for CS:S to 1.6, playerwise and clanwise? I haven't played since before Source was released.

Advertisement