Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Floorboards to patch up floor

Options
  • 23-09-2005 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I've removed the carpet from floors in 60-ish year old house that I moved into a few months ago.

Over the years, a number of floorboards have been pulled up and damaged (for plumbing & electrical work) including since I moved in ;-(

I've resigned myself to needing to put a laminate floor in one of the bedrooms but would like to patch up the spaces in the other room so I can sand and varnish it.

Problem is my boards are 6 1/2 " wide T&G. Red deal. Even if they that width was readily available these days as new boards, it would probably prove difficult to get a decent finish - likely to look silly (with mixture of new & old boards). Is it possible to get a match for these anywhere? Have tried a coupel of salvage companies but they didn't have anything.

I considered stealing from bedroom 2 for bedroom 1 but think that pulling up boards without damaging them will be difficult/impossible & boards run under a wall between bedroom & bathroom => would need to cut boards etc.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Well it should be easy to pull up boards in other room,I'm the same as you.My house is 60+ and floor boards are not T&G which mean they come up easy.Do you have gaps between floor boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tcs

Other than where there are missing boards, they're in pretty good nick - no draughty gaps between boards - fairly tightly fitted with T&G.

Problem I see with stealing boards from 2nd bedroom is that the boards run across the width of the house and a 3" thick brick wall is built literally on top of the boards between that room & the bathroom => would have to cut the boards to get them up. Probably would have to cut a certain distance from the wall (>1 joist distance back) as I assume the boards are in some way supporting the wall.

Also, my boards are T&G and the nails holding them down are pretty savage (2" or longer!) Don't fancy my chances of extracting those nails easily - how would I get a start on one even? When some boards were pulled up for electrics they cracked - while sturdy enough under normal usage, they are a little brittle and not up to much abuse. To my disgust, there was a bit of brute force involved there and nothing too sensible happened (e.g. cutting the tongue off one board to preserve the groove on adjoining board) but even had no brute force been employed, the boards seem brittle enough to need a lot of care in any attempt to pull them up (especially given the nails that are holding them down!).

A friend suggested using an angle grinder and trying to get in from the side to cut through the nails before trying to lift board (a few boards already up in that room to use as starting points). Could be an interesting experiment! How would I subsequently get nails out of the boards though?

Advertisement