Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henry to Barca?

• 23-09-2005 10:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Just read this on the TV and the papers this evening. What a totally random story? and all the appers got it which usually indicates some truth. Henry wont get into talks because he is strongly thinking of joining Barcalona.

For him persoanlly I'd say it is a good move. Arsenal will never win the champions league or mount a serious challenge. and he personally will never win world player of the year, becaue as yo usohuld know by now, players in the premiership never will, because it is hyped as the best league ever by all british media but it clearly isnt. And its not as if Henry has any decent competition anyway.

After seeing Beckham actually go to Real and owen to newcastle, anything is possible, it wouldnt suprise me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I wouldnt undereatimate Henry's loyalty to Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

as we saw with Veira, wenger is not going to cry and beg for him to stay, no matter what his qualities are, and thats why i think the man is probably the best manager in the premiership or even the world. Someone like him needs to get into the england squad or real madrid and fix those stupid bastards. I'm not an english fan but seriously they have one of the most feared strike forces i nthe world and they play such ****ty defensive football, check out their attack.

Lampard,gerrad,cole,beckham,wright-philips,owne,rooney,crouch,defoe,johnson,downing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Vieira was a different situation to Henry.

Wenger made Henry, totally and utterly.
    HEnry has said countless times how much he respects and loves Wenger for what he has done for him. Its the same as Van Nist with Fergie.
    There is total love and total respect.
    That said, anything can happen in football, so ya never know.
    1 year left, doesnt want to sign a new deal to see how it pans out, Barca bid 10 million, the entire world bids 15 or 20, could be tough to turn down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

PHB wrote:
    There is total love

Easy now! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Would love to see him at Barcelona, would be a quality signing and fantastic for his career - he would be unstoppable in Spain, i believe!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I don't think he'll go. Vieira was a different situation. He wanted to go for a long time, he wanted a change of scenery and a new challenge. I don't think Henry is the same. He's regularly stated how happy he is at highbury, and I think he could easily play out the rest of his career at Arsenal (as he has often said he would like to) if certain circumstances are met. Wenger has plenty of time to come up with the signings to show Henry that Arsenal are matching his ambition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

What about a swap for Eto? He's been saying continually how he'd love to play in the PL and stranger things have happened eg. Wenger selling Petit and Overmars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭EFC-4eva

Arsneal could be in trouble, if he goes, pires is declining and bergkamp is retiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Henry still has two years left on his contract, but with the new rules will be able to buy out the remaining year of his contract next summer. the rumours about barca stem from wenger himself who said that barca have only won the european cup once and Henry has as good a chance at arsenal as barca to win the Champions League. :eek:

EFC-4eva wrote:
    Arsneal could be in trouble, if he goes, pires is declining and bergkamp is retiring.
    Replacements for the second two are already there, and doing very well (Hleb & Reyes).

As for the new rules, I thought they were only a proposal at the moment? It'll be disastrous for the game if they are brought in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭EFC-4eva

I wouldn't compare either to bergkamp, he's been the best passer of the ball the premiership has had.

I'd see Van Persie as a better replacement for Bergkamp than Reyes.

Why?

Van Persie doesn't bear much likeness to Bergkamp other than being Dutch. Bergkamp is a second/shadow striker, RVP is a lead striker. RVP plays very far up the pitch and doesn't influence games a great deal, but scores goals. Bergkamp is the opposite. Reyes is a very different player to Bergkamp but does the same role very well. His best games for Arsenal have generally been when he's been allowed to roam deep, where he can get lots of the ball and utilise his excellent passing and vision.

Van Persie can float down the pitch or out to the wings though. He also has alot more natural ability than Reyes, just like Bergkamp. He has showed in games like last year's FA Cup semi that he only needs a few touches to produce some moments of brilliance.

I don't think that RVP has a lot more natural ability than Reyes, but either way neither that nor having moments of brilliance make him a deep-lying striker. He occasionally drifts out wide or deep but mostly he stays up and around the centre-backs, with Reyes (when they are paired together) behind him in a free role (the Everton game was a shining example of this).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Ah, i dont think Wenger will be able to replace Bergkamp, as I think he was a special player. Van Persie looks like more of a lead striker, and I dont think he would have the same effect that he does now, if he came a lot deeper ala Bergkamp.
    Back to the topic, Henry to Barcelona, this has been bandied about for the last few months, and the signs are becoming a bit worried, especillay when ye have Wenger and Vieira coming out to the press, and talking about Henry.
    I for one believe that Henry will sign the new contract provided we make a serious dig into the transfer market come Januray, and hopefully we'll sign a top class midfielder.

I don't think Arsenal have the money to sign a top-class midfielder. They've piled alot of their cash into the new stadium and seem short of cash for transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Ah i heard there that we have about £63m to splash out new players, as DD said because we didnt sign too many players during the summer, that cash would be made available for january.
    I think we did try to make an effort to bring in 2 quality players, Robinho, and Baptista but they both went to Real.
    So if we were gonna try and buy these there must be some cash available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Bergkamp is my favourite player of all time, and most recently found out he has the same Bday as me =)

He is undoutadly one of the premierships best ever players and was the best passer in the premiership. His vision and footballing brain was unparralleled. I think the reason why Arsenal have enver done so well in the Champions league is in his absense. He is someone who will never be replaced. And will be a huge loss to the league as was Zola. He was the start of the Arsenal brilliance, he was the first htta was borught in that would build a team of unbelivable talent and a joy to watch. He was the perfect example of a link up foward.

I think that Reyes is not going to be anything like him. Reyes is to ohot headed, alwyas losing his temper. I dont think he will be a good striker, I think he is much a better winger. Van Persie does have a lovely look about him,and if amtured i nthe right way, could be an amazing player. I really do think Holland are going to come back onto the map for world football with the young talent they are sprouting out.

Advertisement