Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Drivers who you will never forget

Options
  • 24-09-2005 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭

Anybody have any experiences on the road where there was a driver that caught their eye and they will never forget?
    I will never forget a woman in her 60's 70s driving a "boy racer" like car with sunglasses down to waterford from wexford one day! she was driving about 70mphs overtaking nearly every car!! I couldnt believe it. Normally you would get stuck behind an older female driver but this was the only exception I have ever seen. Fair play to her and I will never forget it. PRICELESS! :)

Any other experiences? :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

just the other day i saw a granny in a royal blue celica with a load graphics on the side with tinted windows, she must have been about 60 odd COULDN'T have been hers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

My brother made the comment one day that most drivers coming the other way were fat, so we started looking and the next car was a BMW 7 series, and someone in a suit and alien mask was driving along

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

Squirrel wrote:
    My brother made the comment one day that most drivers coming the other way were fat, so we started looking and the next car was a BMW 7 series, and someone in a suit and alien mask was driving along

LOL....that's class

• Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Squirrel wrote:
    we started looking and the next car was a BMW 7 series, and someone in a suit and alien mask was driving along

That was me. What's so funny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Thought I had seen it all with the mobile phone drivers until a few years back in sandyford waiting to get on a roundabout when this motorbike comes around. The chap driving has one hand on the bars, the helmet sitting up on the back of his head with a cig in his mouth and the other hand holding the mobile phone!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

The nut I met going North on the Southbound carriageway of the Stillorgan by-pass, at night in the p*ssing rain

unkel wrote:
    That was me. What's so funny?

Unfortunately it wasn't you, it was a brand new model 7 series, 03 - D I think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I remember my first encounter with road rage, I'll never forget it. I was in my local town riding my bike about 10yrs ago and a middle aged women did something to annoy a van driver. next thing, the middle finger goes up into the air from the van driver and a "f**k You!"

• Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Squirrel wrote:
    Unfortunately it wasn't you, it was a brand new model 7 series, 03 - D I think

I knew you weren't falling for that one :)

Something very odd about that alright

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Couple of years back, some guy on the north side of Drogheda crossed the road and pulled up the sliproad on to the main road the wrong way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I was passing through Ennis at the weekend and was stuck in a traffic jam. I could see at the top of the traffic jam some knacker on a horse and cart. I was about 5 cars behind him.

Eventually we got past him one by one and when I overtook him I couldn't help but notice he was in deep conversation on his mobile phone.

All he was short was a blue tooth head set. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

my brother was behind this jeep at traffic lights before.. and he noticed the back window rolling down and someone there givin him the fingers.. he couldnt believe it....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

The old couple in the Fiesta on the M50. One Sunday morning I was heading north to the N4 junction coming to the Ballymount exit when they drove down the ramp towards me. :eek: As I passed them they turned the car to head north behind me.
    An hour later I was coming back and took the N7 exit to go to Crumlin. This was before the free-flow slip road was put in and I stopped at the lights. Next thing this same Fiesta comes from the right and turns left to go down the exit ramp. AGAIN!!!!

I jumped out of the car, ran over, stopped him and asked him where he wanted to go. I can't remember where he was going exactly but it was in the direction of Naas. But he did say that all these roads were very confusing, while his wife just kept saying "And the signs ... and the signs". I sent them in the right direction hoping they wouldn't kill anyone on the way. "Just keep going straight"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Try last friday on way to Cavan this cracking blond in a 03 peugeot 307....was behind me for a while so was having a gander in the mirror at her....noticed the big L plates but didnt mind cause she was a cracker.....anyway had to pull in to get paper....got paper and off down the road.....few miles down I caught up with her and noticed all the L plates plastered all over the car.....soon found out why

On new section outside Virginia she proceeded to pull out in front of 2 lorries to try and pass out a car........then because she couldnt pass out just swung back in making the driver in the car beside her have to swing back into the hard shoulder......so she started to look in rear view mirror and I just shook my head at her....she could see and you could see she was sh*tting it now

So what does she do.....about another mile down the road a lorry pulls into hard shoulder to let her past....she sits behind it till a car is coming in other direction and hard shoulder ends.....then trys to go past....lorry is beeping at her.....on coming car is beeping and finally she cops on and slows down...again looking in mirror.....

Soon after I was turning off N3 but not before I see her fly past the same lorry at a junction where she is not supposed to pass going thru the turn off section that is cut off.......

Anyway one point....she might be good looking.,.....but man she couldnt drive for sh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Similar to DubTony, I was going to work one morning and I drive over the M1 on the way. I had crossed the bridge over the motorway itself and I was stopped at the small round about where the slip roads are. Noticed this woman driving as if she intended to go all the way around the roundabout and go back the way she had just come from (not that she was indicating or anything!). Fair enough, I thought as I stopped at the line, then watched in amazement as she proceeded to drive down the exit ramp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Just remembered a good one a few years ago....was on the batter in clonee with a few friends from work....one of the girls wanted to go to the shop over in littleplace(for those who know the area) so we headed out of Clonee(I had a few on me so she was driving)....came up to light coming out of clonee and she got confused what direction she was going so heading to the left across the bridge.....littleplace is to the right,......anyway half way across the bridge she decides she has taken the wrong turn....stops in middle of bridge and starts to reverse to turn to head back across bridge to go into little place....anyway next thing there is about 10 cars beeping and trying to tell her it is a one way bridge and to turn around that she cant go that way.....was a joke but I was tipsy and couldnt stop laughing.....needless to say she hasnt drove a car since!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Was stuck in a traffic jam on Friday evening rush hour heading towards Philly. Some people started pulling U-turns on the median and heading the other way. The median on this road is a strip of grass about 20 metres wide, dipping towards the middle, and at the time was pretty muddy.

This one dude in a shiny new Ford Thunderbird (rear wheel drive) decides he is going to swing around on the median and roar off into the sunset like a studmuffin. Of course he gets to the lowest point in the middle no problem, but then he can't get back up the other side. So he is trying to dig himself out of the mud (in his rear wheel drive Thunderbird) by going backwards and forwards, spinning his back wheels and sending showers of mud everywhere, while digging himself in deeper. It was great entertainment for everyone stuck in the traffic jam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Gandhi wrote:
    Was stuck in a traffic jam on Friday evening rush hour heading towards Philly. Some people started pulling U-turns on the median and heading the other way. The median on this road is a strip of grass about 20 metres wide, dipping towards the middle, and at the time was pretty muddy.

This one dude in a shiny new Ford Thunderbird (rear wheel drive) decides he is going to swing around on the median and roar off into the sunset like a studmuffin. Of course he gets to the lowest point in the middle no problem, but then he can't get back up the other side. So he is trying to dig himself out of the mud (in his rear wheel drive Thunderbird) by going backwards and forwards, spinning his back wheels and sending showers of mud everywhere, while digging himself in deeper. It was great entertainment for everyone stuck in the traffic jam.

and when i was there three weeks ago most people seemd to be driving very well. i guess there's always one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Last evening, on the nangor road I saw a pink Impreza (new shape) :eek:

I swear, it was PINK !!!

Holy shee-at, best I've seen is a bright pink Starlet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Automan

About 10yrs ago my Dad was giving me a lift from Tallaght, we were waiting at a T junction to get onto the main Tallaght road to the M50 (going towards the M50 coming form the Square) we were sitting in the car waiting for the lights to change when all we could heir was an awful whining noise.
    To our surprise a micra with 5 older woman flew by probably in second gear revved to destruction just as the lights changed, my dad started to turn right heading towards the roundabout before the Esso garage, just as we turned we noticed that the micra was going to fast for the turn, just before they hit the roundabout there was a little puff of smoke from the tires and smack up onto the roundabout, the curbs on that roundabout must be at least 1 foot, how the car made it up Ill never know, but the car suspension was totaled.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Some good ones so far...

I've encountered:

1. A car going the wrong way around the roundabout at Shannon Town Centre, but it was alright, he was leaning out the window and waving everyone out of his way at the time... :D

2. A car reversing down the northbound side of the M1 towards the airport.

3. A car undertaking in the hard shoulder of the northbound M1 doing at least 120kph.

And my personal favourite...

4. A guy cycling across the Westlink Bridge towards the toll plaza. Wonder what they charged him? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

preilly79 wrote:
    and when i was there three weeks ago most people seemd to be driving very well. i guess there's always one!

You were here at the right time. All the soccer moms were still at the beach with the kids, and the SUV drivers were in hiding from $3.30 a gallon gas courtesy of Katrina.

Anyway, I remembered another one. I hadn't driven back home (i.e. on the left) for about four years, and my wife (then my girlfriend) was coming home with me to meet my parents for the first time. This was a few years back, so the road from Shannon to Cork was still pretty hairy in some spots.

Anyway, I think I am doing fine driving down, even though I am still a bit stressed, when I see this old lady coming towards me (presumably heading for Shannon) and she's driving on the right.

I immediately think "F*** it!!! I'm on the wrong side of the road", and swerve over to the right.

Then I think "No I'm not!!! She's the one on the wrong side of the road" and swerve back over to the left.

Then I think "That does me no good. We'll still get killed" and swerve back over to the right, barely missing this lady. As I pass by, she looks at me like I'm a lunatic, and continues merrily along on the wrong side of the road.

My wife nearly had a heart attack, but it made the stress of meeting my family seem like nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

You guys are probably not going to believe me, but

This morning on the nangor road I saw a Nissan 200sx with a pimp my ride body kit, and guess what colour it was....

PINK

Advertisement