Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting 'em Go!

Options
  • 24-09-2005 9:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

This is the first time they've gone off on their own - well on a bus of under 11 hurlers actually. Its worse than the first day at school. I'm on Boards instead of arguing over the playstation being on and all the usual Saturday morning goings on. Waved them off at 7.30 this morning - all the way to Cork, without me!

This is a lot harder than I ever thought, and i thought i was fairly cool about them having a bit of independence at 8 and three-quarters and 10 respectively, but I'm not! What am I gonna do when they start heading off like this more often?

We're not a really stuck together crew, they go to matches, training, school, etc without me and I go to work and the odd social trip without them - but this time is different. A whole day off with the club - I don't mind, in fact I was really proud when they were selected to go, but this letting go feeling has hit me like a bolt out of the blue.... Does it get worse or better??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

We teach out kids to walk and equip them with all the skills we can
    so that one day they will walk away from us to live thier own lives.

This is that start of it.
    It does get better and it does get worse.

So you have time to your self what are you going to do with it ?

I went through the same when my ex took the kids away to his mothers for
    a few weekend this summer and then took them away for a whole week.
    Really it was hard to unwind and not have to do anything for anyone but me.
    The days schedule goes out the window as the house hold routine is not needed.

You do have a few choices,
    you can stick to your routine and get as much cleaning done as possible,
    you can tackle something in the house you have been putting of cos
    it will take a lot of time and space , ie clearing somewhere out.
    you can papmer yourself watch a movie, an adult movie in the middle of the day or two hours in a bubble, bath and pamper yourself with all the lotions
    and potions you usually don't have time for.
    Get out of the house, go for a walk, go for coffee with a friend.

Yes you will miss them like mad, and keep epecting to hear them calling you
    or the soudburst of an arguement from the sitting room that takes a while
    and then you dont miss that every five minutes and them you feel bad that
    you didnt miss them for a whole hour or so :) screwy but it happens.

Hang inthere they will be back soon and full of things to tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Wex1

Thanks Thaed, you were dead right, back with stories, laughs, imitation cork accents, chocolate faces and broke of course!

Did no housework, loads of coffee with friends, great day really once initial umbilical feeling wore off! Fair dues to the GAA and all those who are involved with kids on a voluntary basis.

Advertisement