Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

empty machine, how do you build on it?

Options
  • 11-09-1999 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

er...just wondering. I'm building a new system but it just occured to me that how is the thing meant to start up with nothing on the HD?...how can i run fdisk if it isnt even there? smile.gif

do i just shove a boot disk in or somthing so it detects my cdrom and i can install an os?

bah, confusing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

I find having a copy of good old DOS 6 to be a great starting point.

If you can get DOS onto your machine, you can then get your CD working, again assuming that you have a driver disk for the CD.

I'm not sure, but I think that Win98 will boot and install from the CD, assuming that you enable the 'boot from CD' option in your BIOS. I'm not sure if Win95 does though (or NT).

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭acous

Well some versions of win98 will boot from the cd, but not others..
    windows95...duno
    NT..yep t'will

imo the best way is to use a boot disk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭mobius

Yeah, just use a bootdisk along with some of the essentials like MS-Dos Editor, Fdisk, etc...
    Then partition the HD with fdisk, make sure you choose FAT32 by choosing to 'enable large disk support', when you're finished, re-format the HD...
    Boot from your floppy again and use 'sys c:' to make your HD bootable, then install your cd-rom drivers from the cd-roms' floppy, re-boot, install Windows from the CD, and your away-in-a-hack.
    What the spec's btw?
    GL.

Have your say at:
    www.gibworld.com/mobius

[This message has been edited by mobius (edited 12-09-99).]

Advertisement