Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Martial Arts clubs in galway

• 24-09-2005 12:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭

I'm having a bit of a doss year in college, so I thought i'd take up a new hobby.

i'm very interested in Martial arts, and would like to know of available clubs in Galway.

Red

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Seraph

Hey Red welcome to the forum...what type of martial arts are u interested in?? there are heaps of clubs in galway and in NUIG (if ur there) so u should definately find somethin to suit!
    Check out S.E.A.M.A Academy in the Liosban Inds Estate they train in Thai and Philipino arts, instructor Dave Joyce is excellent and beginners always welcome ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Check out Mark Leonard's place.. He teaches tae kwon do and mixed martial arts.. His camp is one of the most well respected in Ireland. Well worth the look.

Details: http://www.nuigalwaytkd.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Ballisong

Hey Red, my name is Aran and im training with Dave Joyce here in Galway, we have classes in Muay Thai and Kali, our club is located in Lisbaun Ind Estate, we also run the Thai club in NUIG. If your interested you can mail me and i will send you details, i'll also let you know pf any other clubs you might be intersted in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PJG

you could try looking up Peter Foley's 'Black Dragon' club. I was in Galway working a few weeks back and I called him up to see if I coudl get some training in, sound guy.

They have a full time gym with classes every evening, well worth a try.

They run boxing and Kickboxing classes.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭RedRaven

I'm having a bit of a doss year in college, so I thought i'd take up a new hobby.

i'm very interested in Martial arts, and would like to know of available clubs in Galway.

Red
    Hi Red, yep as the guys said already go with Dave Joyce he a good guy and a great Arjan..... Muay Thai style all the way!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

Hi,

There are many karate clubs in Galway with at least 5 different karate styles catered for also I hear there is a Karate club in NUIG www.nuigkarate.net ;)

Cheers

Damo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PJG

ooops' double post. deleting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 judoka

http://www.judo.nuigalway.ie

Different to any other martial arts club ever, TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ChristOnAStick

Howdy Flesh! Long time no see. I realise it's been a while since this thread was started but there is soon to be a Krav Maga club opening up in Galway, summer classes begin sometime in June. It's a great system, a beautiful/brutal amalgamation of many different styles designed for efficiency above all else.
    Details www.kravmaga.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

NUIG have loads.

I'd reccomend them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Hi RedHairedGuy, you can come chat to me in the College Sports Hall at 9:15 or so. I zip over there after teaching in www.PointBlankGym.com to teach Taekwondo. We can have a chat, I'll figure out what it is you are after and give you some recommendations of the best place to train to find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Ger Healy

Hi RedHairedGuy, you can come chat to me in the College Sports Hall at 9:15 or so. I zip over there after teaching in www.PointBlankGym.com to teach Taekwondo. We can have a chat, I'll figure out what it is you are after and give you some recommendations of the best place to train to find it.

Hey Redhairguy you wont go wrong training with Mark great training and a good guy to boot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Ger Healy wrote: »
    Hey Redhairguy you wont go wrong training with Mark great training and a good guy to boot.

+1 from me, I train there, and it's not just Mark that's great to train with, all at point blank are sound lads, if you want to see what we do head over to the sports centre of nui on Saturday around 1 or 2 for the mmaleague!:)

Darragh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭3KINGS

Hello..........what Aran forgot to say,is that there is Satria arts in Galway too at the same Muay Thai Camp under Dave Joyce.

Satria arts are the systems of S.E.Asia.Mostly at this moment in time from the Islands of Indonesia,a family style of Silek called WaliSongo and one day the Badoee family arts of Silek Enam Belas Pukul...what we teach is Pukul/stricken,Gulat/wrestling,Yoga & Dance/Kembangen.

There will also be older Thai systems too,as my friends Khru Stan & Khru Ric make a return to Galway soon.So are our sytems are a living tradition,along with the wrestling/sport there will be temple of strength days soon.Using Kettlebells and Indian clubs,manila rope climbing drills....for building ole school/traditional strength & power.As to prepare the ones who want to compete in wrestling comps.........

Over the next year or so,healing arts from both Indonesia and Thailand will also be part of the Satria arts.So if you fancie something functional drop me a line on satriaireland@googlemail.com

Thanks J
    (Chief teacher of Satria Ireland )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭kellyreilly

Anyone have any details on the above mentioned KRAV MAGA in Galway ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭mark.leonard

Anyone have any details on the above mentioned KRAV MAGA in Galway ?

Best bet is to PM whoever posted it. There is no full time Krav Maga school in Galway at present AFAIK, there are infrequent seminars in point blank gym, PM me and I can give you their details, they are run by a guy out of Castlebar. I think he may have a course in Galway this weekend somewhere else, he posts here too so he should be along any time now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You could check out the Galway ITF Taekwon-do school Contact details/location given on the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

squabble squabble squabbleQUOTE] I'd recommend one to two chill pills every 4 hours whilst symptoms persist. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 guitarmano

How do i get in contact with dave Joyce? Has he a website + where in the liosban estate does the training take place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Ballisong

Hey Guitarmano,

You can pm me or Dave here or email him at longfist@eircom.net or me at atienzakalieurope@hoymail.com

The club is located next to golf style, as your facing it go down the lane to the left and you can't miss it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Liena123

is there something like krav maga ....cheaper.i move'd from co. meath to co.galway....in co meath i was paying for 2 classes in week 70 euro(per month).

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭black dragon

The Galway Black Dragon Kickboxing Club are moving to a new State of the art 5000 square feet Martial Arts Supergym complete with two boxing rings, 16 punch bags, grappling area, free weights and cardio area (machines etc), Dance Studio (which can also be rented to other Martial Arts styles), larger changing area with showers etc), Martial Arts shop, 200 square metres of interlocking mats for warm ups, pad work, skipping etc.
    We train fighters in Full Contact Kickboxing, White Collar Boxing, K-1 and also run class's in Street self-Defence and Weapons.
    Public or private class's available.
    All instructors are certified Black Belts, IABA Boxing Coaches, Certified in the Irish Sports Councils Childrens Code of Ethics, Qualified First Aiders and some are Certified Personal Trainers and Gym Instructors.
    The new gym, which is situated on the Tuam Road (just turn in at the Trappers Inn Pub and Expert Electrical and we're over the former Arramount Furniture Store) will open on Tuesday 5th January, 2010 @ 8pm for intermediate and advanced Adults and an adults beginner course commences on Tuesday 12th January @ 7pm with advance booking nescessary.
    A childrens beginners course will commence on Saturday 12th January @ 11am.
    For more info check out our website www.blackdragon.ie.

The Galway Black Dragon Kickboxing Club are moving to a new State of the art 5000 square feet Martial Arts Supergym complete with two boxing rings, 16 punch bags, grappling area, free weights and cardio area (machines etc), Dance Studio (which can also be rented to other Martial Arts styles), larger changing area with showers etc), Martial Arts shop, 200 square metres of interlocking mats for warm ups, pad work, skipping etc.
    We train fighters in Full Contact Kickboxing, White Collar Boxing, K-1 and also run class's in Street self-Defence and Weapons.
    Public or private class's available.
    All instructors are certified Black Belts, IABA Boxing Coaches, Certified in the Irish Sports Councils Childrens Code of Ethics, Qualified First Aiders and some are Certified Personal Trainers and Gym Instructors.
    The new gym, which is situated on the Tuam Road (just turn in at the Trappers Inn Pub and Expert Electrical and we're over the former Arramount Furniture Store) will open on Tuesday 5th January, 2010 @ 8pm for intermediate and advanced Adults and an adults beginner course commences on Tuesday 12th January @ 7pm with advance booking nescessary.
    A childrens beginners course will commence on Saturday 12th January @ 11am.
    For more info check out our website www.blackdragon.ie.

That sounds great, best of luck!

If there's a 'grappling area' does that mean there's grappling training on in Black Dragon now as well? If so, who's taking the classes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭deegs

Hiya,

Galway kendo club would be happy to welcome you
    http://www.irishkendofederation.org/galway_kendo/

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭black dragon

Thanks guys for the good wishes - Tim the grappling area is there for any one to use eg: if an MMA practitioner wants to come in on any of our open sessions for a bit of stand up sparring in the ring, their welcome but they may wish to finish up their session with some ground work - this is open to MMA, JUDOKA, WRESTLERS, BJJ or Regular JIU JITSU exponents etc.
    The general idea is just to keep the gym busy and open up to other styles.
    I'd just like to wish everyone a Happy New Year and hope to see you all down the new gym sometime in 2010.

Thanks guys for the good wishes - Tim the grappling area is there for any one to use eg: if an MMA practitioner wants to come in on any of our open sessions for a bit of stand up sparring in the ring, their welcome but they may wish to finish up their session with some ground work - this is open to MMA, JUDOKA, WRESTLERS, BJJ or Regular JIU JITSU exponents etc.
    The general idea is just to keep the gym busy and open up to other styles.
    I'd just like to wish everyone a Happy New Year and hope to see you all down the new gym sometime in 2010.

Cool sounds good.

Best of luck with it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Keyser Söze

Where's the best spot to train Muay Thai in Galway preferably on the east of the city and not to expensive (€5 max a class), I've noticed that black dragon doesn't train Muay Thai for beginners (correct me if im wrong).

Thanks for any help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Where's the best spot to train Muay Thai in Galway preferably on the east of the city and not to expensive (€5 max a class),

So you'll only pay a fiver at most for the best?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Keyser Söze

Bambi wrote: »
    So you'll only pay a fiver at most for the best?

Well im not expecting professional standard muay thai teachers to be operating in Galway

• Advertisement

You have SEAMA in Liosban and Castlegar MT is in Oldenway. Don't know what either charge but I'd guess that if you pay a monthly fee and train 3 or 4 times a week it would work out pretty reasonable per class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

Well im not expecting professional standard muay thai teachers to be operating in Galway

:eek:

What standard are you expecting 'in Galway'. ?!!?!?

Advertisement