Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton Thread

• 24-09-2005 12:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

Just wanted to see, how many fans there are on here. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the team, our season so far etc. cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

EFC-4eva wrote:
    Just wanted to see, how many fans there are on here. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the team, our season so far etc. cheers.

What have Everton and Heather Mills-McCarthy got in common?

The second leg is only for show!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

LOL!

Eastjet are their new sponsors.........they can get them in and out of europe the quickest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭EFC-4eva

I take it ye's aren't Everton fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'm not an Everton fan but I'd like to see them do well against Wigan today, if just to see Tim Cahill pick up a few points for my Fantasy team. He's dangerously close to being dropped.

he's burnt out mate, lets look at the stats shall me:
    didn't miss a game for millwall in his final season there
    went off and played in the olympics for australia
    virtually ever present in the everton team that season except for suspension in 2 games
    plays in confederations cup last summer
    straight back to the premiership again

I'd be a little jaded if i were him

• Advertisement

Never thought of it like that before. Well, barring a big performance today, with at least a goal, assist or bonus point performance, he'll be dropped at the first chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Lemlin wrote:
    Never thought of it like that before. Well, barring a big performance today, with at least a goal, assist or bonus point performance, he'll be dropped at the first chance.

likewise.....but once everton start playing (if they ever will) cahill will be the focal player => loads of assists / goals => points hopefully!!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

While there is alot of rivalry with the pool, I would honestly like Everton to do well again this season. I think that last season flattered them slightly but some consistent top 10 finishes would do them the world of good.

Todays result must really be worry the fans too. When was the last time they won or even drew a match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Todays result must really be worry the fans too. When was the last time they won or even drew a match?
    The surprise win at the Reebok in the league? That's what springs to mind for me.
    It's amazing what a difference a summer makes. I think finishing 4th was a bit flattering, but I think they are better than where they are at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Totally.. Considering ye just about escaped relegation the season before last too...

They certainly do not deserve to be relegated..

• Advertisement

Morale is low and who can blame the players? First they lose to Villareal and don't get into the Champions League after all that effort, and the hype surrounding it.

And then they get hammered in the UEFA Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I think Everton over achieved last season and are under achieving this year. They are a mid-table club at the moment and will settle down soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

EFC-4eva wrote:
    I take it ye's aren't Everton fans

I actually really really admire Everton, and would love to see them do really well. That Heather Milsl joke is just fookin hilarious though.

I don't think Everton are in such a big crisis. Just look at the way the PL is going. Two wins and Everton would be up to 9th. Three wins and they'd be higher than Man Utd and Arsenal.

They've also played one match less than alot of the teams above them. With the scrap between all the teams round mid-table, if Everton can string a few wins together, they'll be in the top half again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Lemlin wrote:
    I don't think Everton are in such a big crisis. Just look at the way the PL is going.
    I take your point about people saying it's a crisis, but I think you might be understating their problems slightly:
    Lemlin wrote:
    Two wins and Everton would be up to 9th. Three wins and they'd be higher than Man Utd and Arsenal. They've also played one match less than alot of the teams above them. With the scrap between all the teams round mid-table, if Everton can string a few wins together, they'll be in the top half again.
    I think that's easier said than done when you look at Everton at the moment. They can't seem to score at the moment, and their defence (despite the signings of Ferrari and Nuno Valente) isn't exactly rock solid at the moment either. Their performances must be a major concern for David Moyes. They did terrific last season but it's a tough league and nobody is too good to go down.

I think that's easier said than done when you look at Everton at the moment. They can't seem to score at the moment, and their defence (despite the signings of Ferrari and Nuno Valente) isn't exactly rock solid at the moment either. Their performances must be a major concern for David Moyes. They did terrific last season but it's a tough league and nobody is too good to go down.

Hopefully Beattie will change their goalscoring problems when he returns, although I wouldn't count on it. Perhaps the point made earlier about Cahill being burnt out is true but they need some big performances from their big name players like him.

Fact is though that there are far worse teams than Everton in the league. I'm still sticking with Fulham, Portsmouth and Sunderland to go down.

I look at it this way, because we dont score, whenever we go a goal down its usually game-over.

Well then its about time Beattie started repaying some of that 7 million transfer fee. When is he due back anyway?

Its a pity Everton couldn't get Robbie Keane. At least he might be appreciated there, and get his place.

or bellamy, or johnson, or the other 20 players that we failed to get. I think we need a director of football because of moyes' in-experience in the transfer market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

15 defeats in 21 gams since tommy grav went to madrid for a whopping 2.5 million, says it all really

• Advertisement

Bellamy, sadly for Everton, went to Blackburn :)

and with no sign of van der meyde, kroldrup or beattie playing for a while thats money down the drain

I'd say Van Der Meyde will end up as a good signing. When is he due back?

end of october i think, we could do with him back, carsley is fit again tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I said before the season started that I didn't see Everton matching last season's performance in the league, and while I'd be loathe to write their season off on the basis of 6 games played, one can't deny that 3 points from their first 18 and being almost out of two European competitions by the weeks end is a disasterous start.

I'd be confident that Everton will drag themselves back up the table, one only needs to look at Newcastle's jump to 10th place after two wins on the bounce, and as lemlin said, there's worse teams in the league.

My one fear would be if this run was to continue for a couple more games than the team will get into the habit of losing, which is a difficult habit to get out of, regardless of the talent available. No side is too good to go down, as West Ham and Nottm Forest have found to their cost in recent years.

Everton's next three league matches are away to Man City and Spurs, and at home to Chelsea. None of those is a handy numer, they shipped five at WHL last season, City have benn impressive this season and Chelsea are Chelsea... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I think a thing that the media seem to dismiss is that they haven't been playing that badly in the league. They lost 3 games 1-nil. They just cant score at the moment, and the 4-5-1 formation without the midfield in the right frame of mind wont work. And as for that Alan Green on BBC FiveLive, I'd love to ring his neck, the smarmy git....

Against wigan they went back to 4-4-2 and the improvement was dramatic it seems, just the lack of ball in the net was evident. Well it did go in, but was harshly ruled out in my opinion...

Injuries have played a role as well. The squad is small as it is and with up to 8 potential first teamers out, that is showing. Per Kroldrup, Gary Naysmith, Alessandro Pistone, Li Tie, Lee Carsley, Andy van der Meyde, James Beattie and James Vaughan are all currently unavailable and this leaves moyes with very little choice for potential rotation and resting of players.

Cahill is in bits, he needs to be rested, but we cant afford to. I think when AVDM comes back and Lee Carsley, I could see Cahill being rested, but thats another month away at least.

Losing to Villarreal was a big blow after they put up such a good fight. I think the manner in which duncs goal was dismissed, which would have changed the tie completely hit them hard physcologically and they haven't seemed to have recovered yet.

The first leg of the Dinamo game was just pants. They played them off the park in the first half. Left at 1-1. Happy days. Away goal. But i think Dinamo must have been injecting steroids or something at half time or Everton were all smoking pot or something. The second half was inexplicable....

Winning 4-0 will be hard as the goals aren't exactly flying in at the moment... but all it takes is to grab a goal quickly in the first half and it could build up from there. Romanian teams traditionally dont travel well in Europe and hopefully goodison is packed, which may intimidate them a little...

Picking up points against city, spurs and chelsea is going to be bloody tough. City is a possible place for a point i reckon if all goes well. Spurs are beatable if they rotate again. Spurs were shocking against villa and grimbsy, whereas they were really good against fulham, so i guess its whichever spurs turns up on the day. Chelsea is written off for most teams anyway i think :D

Anyway. Its not all doom and gloom and crisis... a few games gone... many to go....

They might still have a chance against Dynamo. I know its slim but Celtic almost did it against Artmedia.

16 shots, one goal. jeez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

we're just havin a bad patch, im not too bothered, top half of the table finish once we get van in the team we will be sorted.

confidence = results. like last year we were on a crest of a wave for most of the season, im sure good time are around the corner

nil satis nisi optimum!

• Advertisement

Hopefully Cahill scores today. He better or he's saying adios from my fantasy team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

A 2-0 loss to City this morning, and worst of all a shocking performance. Its really not looking good for the toffees.

If Phil Neville had made contact with his kick at Lee Crofts (i think) face he could have faced a big big ban. He should have walked for it regardless of whether it made contact or not though.

Its not looking good lads, Tottenham and Chelsea to come.

-Ireland was MOTM by the way, a great performance.

They didn't play that badly today. Defence looked good. Valente looked a lot more comfortable, but still seems to be lacking confidence. There were a few occassions that showed this.

There was zero penetration up front. The ball just wasnt getting up to the forwards quick enough. Arteta was sorely missed. Osman was running around like headless chicken for parts of the game. They did have chances but just didn't find the back of the net.

Cahill's goal should have stood. I don't think he was offside.

It looked like it was going to be a 0-0, which i think would have been a fair result as either team didn't really look like scoring, until mills hit that cracker. As soon as he hit it, I knew it was goal bound. Fantastic strike. And then, of course when everton are pushing they get a last minute sealer...

Away trip to spurs then chelsea at home. Its not looking like we'll pick up points there either.... If there is a god, we will get 6 points out of the next 2 games :D

Cahill's goal should have stood. I don't think he was offside.

You mean he scored and it was disallowed :( For feck sake, he had an assist disallowed last week too.

Away trip to spurs then chelsea at home. Its not looking like we'll pick up points there either.... If there is a god, we will get 6 points out of the next 2 games

I'd start praying now if I were you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The reversal of fortunes really shows how thin the line between success and failure is, all those 1-0 wins last season now becoming losses and no-one who can provide inspiration.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    -Ireland was MOTM by the way, a great performance.
    Excellent news. Just the type of player we've been missing.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    Excellent news. Just the type of player we've been missing.

Yeah he looked excellent today, his first Premiership start and a nice bottle of champagne to boot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Watching fanzone during the pool chelsea game today a fan texted in and said that last season Everton had 7 players looking for a contract. this season 6 of them got a contract and the other left. So can this be an explanation?

musician wrote:
    Watching fanzone during the pool chelsea game today a fan texted in and said that last season Everton had 7 players looking for a contract. this season 6 of them got a contract and the other left. So can this be an explanation?
    A rather cynical one i think...

Stubbs was the one player that I wanted to see stay and would have given everything for the team, but to think that the others have just given up... i dont think so.

They are down on their luck and are not getting the rub of the green. They just need to get 3 points on the board and things should take off from there...

It's not really that simple. They were practically non-existent as an attacking threat this morning, Cahill is apparently jaded, Beattie isn't fitting in and big Dunc is never going to score more than 6 or 7 goals a season for you. With a fully fit squad mid-table is a realistic goal. The longer this poor run continues (don't forget the next two games), the worse this situation is going to look.

Morale is extremely important, and shouldn't be overlooked. Especially with a confidence player like James Beattie up front.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Yeah he looked excellent today, his first Premiership start and a nice bottle of champagne to boot.

It was fantastic for him to get his first premiership start and then to cap it off with a MOTM performance. He is looking like a promisig prospect for the national side if he can break into the side on a regular basis and keep performing well.

As for Everton they look a shambles at the moment especially attacking wise. they cant score at the moment. I think my point of nit taking advantage of their champions leage spot over the summer and bringing in some truely quality players is turning out right. they brought in good players but certainly nothing to write home about. The loss of Gravesen has hit them hard and this season really shows how much they over achieved last season. They need to back a win soon or they will end up slipping further and further behind. Everton have a midtable team and thats where they should be but they are finding it very tough at the moment

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    It's not really that simple. They were practically non-existent as an attacking threat this morning
    ...which would lead me to believe that its a confidence problem. 3 points would bring back some confidence. Sometimes it is just that simple.

With the next four games being against Spurs, Chelsea, Birmingham and Boro, can you see a win in any of those games?

The home game against Boro may be crucial, but to be honest, if you haven't won a game by November, its going to be so tough.

Advertisement