Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Help With Router Modem Combo

• 24-09-2005 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hey guys,

I not sure if this is the right place and i can't find any previous threads on this. I picked up a netgear wireless adsl modem and 4 way router combo from pcworld last week and i am having problems setting it up.

I currently have the free usb only modem that came with iol broadband when i signed up over 2 years ago. I am running on windows xp SP2 on a shuttle with an nforce 150 board with a built in nvidia ethernet connection.

I want to set up a wireless network for the lappy around the house and i plan on desktop wireed to the netgear.

When i plug everything in, i got the wireless light, the adsl signal recieved light and of the numbers is lighting up green shown a connecting with the desktop. I went into network settings and enabled the connection and i got a message and a small icon in the taskbar saying there is limited or no connectivity. So i googled the problem and turns out there is a problem with sp2 and i ran the fix but i still can get no response form the router.

The ip address that is auto assigned is a bit weird taking the form 169.xxx.xxx.xxx which i think should be 192.xxx.xxx.xxx.

So can someone help me out or point me in the direct of a good guide.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Looks like your PC isn't getting a DHCP address.

Turn off the SP2 firewall to see if thats causing the problem.

And then check DHCP is actually enabled on the netgear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭fcukme

I switched off windows firewall and it makes no difference. I not sure about DHCP, as far as i know that is a security measure that stops people jumping onto your wireless network. I have installed no software for the router, would that be right? How do i check the DHCP settings?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If it is an all in one you really should have to do no more than put in the same settings as the modem. Have you messed around with anything else?

AFAIK DHCP as nothing to do with security it gives your pc an addess within a certain range which it needs to access the net. If your pc is getting a 169 address it means it is not getting it from the router it is sort of self assigned as far as I can see so go back to basics make sure you have your sign in and password inserted properly and the following settings:

Encapsulation: PPPoE

Multiplexing: LLC Based

VPI: 8

VCI: 35

That is usually enough to get going. you dont need any software for the router.

Advertisement