Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballybofey's industrial waste problem continues ?..

• 24-09-2005 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

From the local press; The Donegal News page 11, Friday September 23rd 2005.

Donegal county council has confirmed that industrial waste from a Ballybofey based soft drinks manufacturer continues to cause problems at the local sewerage plant.

The Donegal News reported last July that the Council plan to take 'legal action' against P Mulrine & Son for discharging large amounts of waste into the sewerage system causing the treatment plant to overload. .

The discharges are also causing odours resulting in complaints from residents.

A Council spokesman this week said that the problem is ongoing and that they plan to take action against the company.

" The Council are keeping a close watching brief on the situation " and " We are keeping the siuation under review and will take the required legal action necessary " he said.

The council also said " Only licensed discharges are allowed to enter the local sewer system".

What a bloody joke. I have been campaigning very publicly for over 5 years on behalf of local residents who were resident on the Glenfin Road before 'Mulrine's' were given 'plannig permission' to expand their factory into a large industrial estate operating 24/7 causng intolerable illegal noise, maladours/stinks, and danger!, to people's lives directly behind their gardens in a designated Primarily residential zone.

The situation is worsening by the day, and the Local Authoriy employee's/Civil servants should also be prosecuted for Criminal negligence and gross incompetance. :mad:

P. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Hey - some action and small acknologement are the first step....

Interestingly - apparantly both the water and sewerage systems are now at breaking point I'm told, and only for the closure of UNIFI, I'm told the Fleadh would have overwhelmed them.

Donegal Co. Co. are quite clearly not up to the job if you ask me. The money wasteage in that council must be unreal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Hey - some action and small acknologement are the first step....
    Donegal Co. Co. are quite clearly not up to the job if you ask me. The money wasteage in that council must be unreal!

Thanks Civilian Target for the support :) . You know All last night long right at the bottom of my back garden, at a dangerously high 'Illegally' raised ground level in Mulrine's factory estate, they were unloading giant lorryloads of Apples for pulping into 'Apple juice' pouring the apples noisely into the processing factory, with floodlights lighting up the area like a Football pitch, with forklifts rattling and banging and crashing into each other ?.. the neighbours were out screaming at Mulrines workers who totally ignored them, as usual, while I lay in my bed trying to sleep.

I wish I knew how to scan a press cutting from The Daily Mirror of Thursday September 8th, page 24, with the heading "Our misery living near hell factory" in which they even name name 'Mulrines' as a noisy, stinking factory thats making people's lives hell. They also name them as the manufacturers of 'Kulana' fruit juice which they supply to TESCO ?.. .

It makes interesting reading and was the first newspaper to actually name what Mulrines manufacture i.e. 'Kulana' fruit juices, which is why the local press have now also started too name Mulrines in the public arena ;) .

I am now hoping that Tesco's who operate an ethical environmentally friendly purchasing policy, will catch on to Mulrines Anti-Social behaviour which breaches Tesco's suppliers terms and conditions, and then cancels purchasing from them ASAP ?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Do you think Tesco should be supported both in existing business and their local planning application.

After all they stock Kulana fruit juice :rolleyes:

muffler wrote:
    Do you think Tesco should be supported both in existing business and their local planning application.

After all they stock Kulana fruit juice :rolleyes:

Of course they should, as they have not been aware up to only very recently of just how alarming the behaviour of one of their fruit juice suppliers has become, I feel sure that when they really investigate the situation 'on the ground' in Ballybofey ?..that Mulrines will lose the business of their largest customer ;) .

It is ironic, but I suppose it is Justice that Tesco are planning to open their Ballybofey store 'right opposite' them on the Donegal Road.

Personally, I believe Mulrines are heading for bankruptcy, as they lost their contract with a large international 'German chain store' for 'own brand' fruit juices, a month ago!, this group are now selling fruit juices from another more expensive supplier, but they appear to be a lot happier :) .

Paddy20, you have got what Mulrine couldnt get on the boards
    free advertisement for his product

• Advertisement

I know, I know, but I am sure it is NOT the type of advertising he would have wished for ?... :)

Paddy20 wrote:
    I am now hoping that Tesco's who operate an ethical environmentally friendly purchasing policy, will catch on to Mulrines Anti-Social behaviour which breaches Tesco's suppliers terms and conditions, and then cancels purchasing from them ASAP ?...

Bollocks! Tesco don't operate an ethical environmentally friendly purchasing policy! Look at the amount of packaging that comes with any Tesco own-brand stuff - most of it is non-recyclable plastics too. They don't give a flying **** about the environment, Dunnes have a much better policy in this regard, and they're also a better supermarket IMHO.

Have lived next to the M1 for a year, on the main airport road in Dublin, and behind NIR's Adelade loading yard - I can't say I sympathise with your problem of getting to sleep - double glazing is wonderful. My sleep-related noise problems come from houses/apartments where I've been kept awake by the sounds of people shagging - and that's *really* hard to sleep through (why is it that only fat women feel the need to scream like cats?!)

I have 'double glazing', but you obviously have no appreciation of just how loud a factory estate a few yards from from my bedroom window, creates in the middle of the night.

Someone 'shagging' for a while is not happening 24/7 is it ?.... ;)

P. ;)

Question ?... ,

In order to make this Twin Towns Dangerous environmental disaster clearer. I would like to post some 'Pics' & Press cuttings' on too this thread :confused: , but how is it done ?.... as a non techie I am lost. I have scanner but what the hell do I do :eek: Thanks.

P.

Put document in scanner, open your favourite photo editor (if you don't have one, I recommend XnView ( http://www.xnview.com/ ) - which is free) and select "Aquire" or "Aquire from TWAIN" and it should scan the document for you (it might ask you to configure it first). Then just save it and it'll save as a picture. If its text you're scanning you should be able to get some OCR software that'll covert the text in the pictures into proper, editable, typed text.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I understand that bit, but how do I then get the material on to this thread in a post ?.. :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Paddy20 wrote:
    Thanks, I understand that bit, but how do I then get the material on to this thread in a post ?.. :eek:

go here: http://www.imageshack.us/

copy the "forums" link it provides you with after uploading and paste it into your next post.

I can see an ORANGE blob emerging from Glenfinn Road via broadband and on to the poor boards

CuLT,

That seems to be what I was looking for, greatly appreciated :) Now just let me find my ole reading specs ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Paddy20 wrote:
    I know, I know, but I am sure it is NOT the type of advertising he would have wished for ?... :)

paddy there is an old saying in business....

There is no such thing as bad publicity.

If there name is mentioned then there name will be remembered. It may be remembered for the wrong reasons but none the less it will be remember ed

nanook wrote:
    paddy there is an old saying in business....

There is no such thing as bad publicity.

If there name is mentioned then there name will be remembered. It may be remembered for the wrong reasons but none the less it will be remember ed

Yes, but I think that particular saying related mainly to 'Show Business' as in film stars,actors names etc, whereas in the Mulrines 'KULANA' case, they have been receiving a lot of Very Negative local & national media coverage, due to the malodours emanating from 'rotting fruit pulp' on their factory estate situated in a residential area, plus noise pollution since they expanded and started operating 24/7 shift work.

Our Donegal County Council appear to have never heard of Environmental pollution which can be visual, a stink, river pollution, noise, floodlights at night etc, all of which are against EU Legislation in residential area's ;)

The saga continues.

Paddy I think i know the area/site of Mulrines plant but tell me this; You have referred to on several occassions that this plant is located in a residential area but what was there first.

Was this factory built beside houses or were the houses built beside a factory?

[QUOTE=

What a bloody joke. I have been campaigning very publicly for over 5 years on behalf of local residents who were resident on the Glenfin Road before 'Mulrine's' were given 'plannig permission' to expand their factory into a large industrial estate operating 24/7 causng intolerable illegal noise, maladours/stinks, and danger!, to people's lives directly behind their gardens in a designated Primarily residential zone.

The situation is worsening by the day, and the Local Authoriy employee's/Civil servants should also be prosecuted for Criminal negligence and gross incompetance. :mad:

P. :cool:[/QUOTE]

muffler,

I refer you to 'part' of my first post on this thread. ;) Whaddya want, my blood ?..

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/Paddy20/image2.jpg Whats this Mulrines tanker doing in my neighbours garden ?.. click link for picture! ;)and see Paddy20 !, in real living colour :eek:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/Paddy20/Mulrines.jpg
    Hey, what are these new industrial buildings doing up on a height at the bottom of my garden ?...and what the hell is that noise and stink 24 hours a day?... :mad:

• Advertisement

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/Paddy20/image0.jpg

The thirteen year old girl called Samantha, is pictured in her back garden with a friend, beside what is left of the tent she had been feeding her kitten in, only seconds before it was crushed by a Mulrines tanker collapsing through an illegal unreinforced retaining wall set at a height above ground level at the bottom of her garden ?... She went in for a glass of water and this happened :mad:

muffler,

Is that legal ?..Watch this space, you ain't seen nothing yet :rolleyes:

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/Paddy20/69761254-1631-4958-900F-FAE1866B52E.png

Overhead Photo of Mulrines factory estate, when it was half developed. It is now right down to the Glenfin Road (At the top) immediately towering over the house's on the left.

Paddy, I just had a look at that aerial photo and I'm puzzled.

Theres a strip of land just off the Donegal road between Mulrines and the Glenview housing estate on the town side. Was this not to have been used for a link between the Glenfin and donegal roads.

It appears that Mulrines have the use of part of it.

Paddy20 wrote:
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/Paddy20/image2.jpg Whats this Mulrines tanker doing in my neighbours garden ?.. click link for picture! ;)and see Paddy20 !, in real living colour :eek:

Jesus Paddy thats a horrible looking sight.

And the lorry looks bad also :D

Yes, that strip is shortly being turned into a link road between Glenfin Road & Donegal Road. Mulrines have recently cleared the area on the right of their? land to make way for this road, which should divert traffic away from the jammed Glenfin St/Bonners Bar/Donegal St junction.

According to Donegal County Council, " This new link road has nothing to do with Mulrines, it is a Council (Roads Dept) initiative designed to alleviate traffic congestion at the Glenfin St/Main St junction in Ballybofey ".

I am not opposed to this link road, but I do believe it has a lot to do with Mulrines needs ;) .

P.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/Paddy20/Negative0-22-3A1.jpg

More trucks than ever now parking at roof level directly behind my neighbours garden where her daughter was almost killed ?.. :eek:

Would you live here, or use this back garden !.. the truth please ?..Thanks.

N.B. Press cuttings to follow, watch this space :(

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/Paddy20/Negative0-21-051.jpg

There was a green field with beautiful horse's grazing in it when the residents moved in to their homes 6 years ago ! , where that Berlin type wall and the '30ton intercontinental container juggernauts' are parked, not to mention the abominable blue metal factory buildings, the noise, the stink, the floodlights all night etc, etc. all of which happened after people had moved in !. :rolleyes:

There is no justification for Donegal County Council giving Mulrines permission 12 times in 10 years for this soul destroying environmental disaster, in a residential zone and behind occupied house's/peoples homes !...is there?.. :(

Comments please..... :(

P.
    N.B. Press cuttings to follow, 'Watch this space' !

Paddy20 wrote:
    Surely there should be a safety barrier to the top of wall/rear of lorry parking area

The complete wall for it's full length should have been constructed with poured (Steel) re-enforced concrete and a crash barrier .

However, it was built with ordinary rubbish concrete blocks, although since the truck fell through into the garden after A landslide !. Mulrines have rebuilt part of the wall properly, with a crash barrier, but only behind the smashed portion of wall, even this is of a questionable standard.

More worrying even than this, is the fact that Mulrine is now also parking juggernauts towering over the Glenfin Road and a very busy public footpath, at a height of 12-15ft without any retaining wall, of any type :eek: It is a disaster waiting to happen and today some of these truck trailers are actually leaning over towards the footpath and Glenfin Road.

By law there should be a special type of 'poured concrete' retaining wall with steel rods etc, and crash barriers, where trucks are parked above a public footpath/highway, but this is Donegal County Council and Mulrines we are dealing with ?...

• Advertisement

What ?...no support for this industrial development is in the wrong place view :(

Advertisement