Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ballybofey's industrial waste problem continues ?..

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Indeed, it's obvoiusly in a bad place. Was there repercussions for Mulrines after that accident (ie fines for poor works)?

I heard from a guy that apparently a softdrinks factory wouldn't let County Councillors inside the grounds for an inspection. Dunno if it's true or not though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Yes, apparently the only person the owner of the "Soft drinks factory" will even consider talking with, is The County Manager, Mr Michael McLoone !, . Our local County Councillors have not got 'The Bottle' to go near him ?...

Re; Fines for poor works ! after the accident. On the day it happened, one local gardai called the 'Scenes of crimes Officer' up from Letterkenny, as in his opinion the raised land and wall had collapsed due to 'Criminal neglect' in construction. I noticed that 'this individual local' Ballybofey Officer who also wanted too preserve the scene and stop the truck being removed before a proper investigation was carried out, was himself removed from the scene while he was trying to cordon off the area, in order to keep the crowd a safe distance away.

The truck was removed in less than 2 hours, and all gardai vanished. No action has as yet been taken against the factory owners, one year has now passed. :confused:

P. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

byte wrote:
    I heard from a guy that apparently a softdrinks factory wouldn't let County Councillors inside the grounds for an inspection. Dunno if it's true or not though.
    Through the grapevine I heard it was a council laboratory technician who was kept waiting for over an hour when she paid a visit to the factory a couple of months back.

I understand that this was just one of an ongoing series of incidents.

That lady was one of the County Chemist's assistants, she is only one of a number of chemists that have been carrying out regular inspections of 'where ever' they are allowed to visit on Mulrines factory estate.They are also carrying out regular inspections of 'strange discharges' into the River Finn , they have shown me samples, which they state they must hand over to 'their boss' Mr Casey, "As 'IF ANY' legal action is to be taken, it is up to him" ?..

The County Chemist himself, Mr Donal Casey has been dealing with complaints from residents about Mulrines causing noise pollution, stinks, etc, for around 20 years ?...yet Mulrines are still 'permitted' to continue too expand. He also has the power too Close down Mulrines' in a day.

byte

muffler wrote:
    Through the grapevine I heard it was a council laboratory technician who was kept waiting for over an hour when she paid a visit to the factory a couple of months back.

I understand that this was just one of an ongoing series of incidents.
    Yeah, maybe that was it. It's only recently I've become aware of the issues surrounding the softdrinks company. Is it not odd that there is little, if any, media coverage on the issues surrounding this company?

• Advertisement

There has been some media/print coverage generated by myself, this includes, The Daily Mirror, All local Press, but not any Radio/TV coverage.

I have a lot of Press cuttings which I neglected to post up on Boards/North West, as I did not know how to do that, but now I know, I am digging out the decent truthful articles.

Recently, there was also a lot of publicity {Print again} about the local sewage treatment plant becoming completely blocked, by an excessive heavy waste material ?.. discharge from a local industry, which has now been publicly identified and named as Mulrines . This discharge caused the treatment plant to break down completely and the Twin Towns suffered the most disgusting all pervading stink that lasted for around 2 weeks.

Donegal County Council have stated on record, that " That they are considering taking appropriate legal action against the company concerned", what a bloody joke, when you consider that 'the charges being considered' carry a max fine of about €5,000,text removed, sorry paddy but you are implying something you cannot back up, and i dont want the legal hassle

What a County, Eh. Is it any wonder that Donegal County Council hate me ;)

Paddy20 wrote:
    text removed

I dont see that as being relevant to your position at all Paddy. That statement in fact is at best presumptious and at worse a very serious allegation on the integrity of the ability of the state solicitor to carry out her duties impartially.

If the Council were to instigate any form of legal proceedings against Mulrines it would be their own Solictors (McMullins) who would represent them.

If other proceedings were taken whereby the state needed representation then I am 100% sure that MS Mulrine would disbar herself from the litigation at hand.

I think you should withdraw that remark paddy

For the record. P Mulrine & Son is a family owned business i.e. it is not even a registered Limited Liability Business IMHO this means that 'each member of the family is a possible beneficiary of the profits of the family business', and did you know that Mr Peter Mulrine who apparently runs the business is also a Barrister !.

Anyway, what you state, I upon reflection have to agree with. Therefore, I hereby retract in full my written statement that "text removed, O.K.

A most highly esteemed business family, in some quarters, but IMHO not all.

BTW, Is it possible to change this thread title to,:- ( Donegal 'Hell Factory' destroys environment (Photos)' ?..

N.B. muffler, I have been trying to send you a PM reply for days, but it will not work ?..maybe you have to activate something in the secret mods cave :confused: .

Paddy20 wrote:
    http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/Paddy20/image01.jpg

Press cutting; Daily Mirror: "HELL FACTORY" Click above link to read ;)

Paddy as one who does not indulge in reading english paper with the word "Irish" on the masthead I didnt obviously read this article.

Any chance of you scanning it again and do a wee enlargement before posting.

I cant read it - its too small :o

image03.jpg

Lets see this one ?.. Just hover on bottom right of picture and then click on small box that appears to enlarge :) It works, begob, bejeebers :eek:

• Advertisement

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a327/Paddy20/image04.jpg

Now then?.. Enlargeable by hovering on bottom right of picture, then click on box that appears :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

holy Sh*T when did that happen... i been lurking on these threads noise.., air pollution.., but truck pollution??

photodeluxehomeedition4.gif

Lets see what this throws up?..Heh,heh, Good here innit, as the Cockneys say :) More larger 'Front Page' Press, to follow:- After I have some kip :eek:

Welcome aboard this rollercoaster, lostexpectation ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

you would think in this day and age, something would be done about it..but, you know yourself, nothing ever is.

Negative0-13-121.jpg

Nice safe place to park juggernauts, Mr Mulrine :mad:

P.

Hey, are those trucks parked higher than MY BUNGALOW ?.. Click for photo- Negative0-06-191.jpg

Gee, Thanks Donegal County Council :(

byte

From what I can figure out, the factory was built before the houses were, so does this mean that the Council should bear some responsibility for all this?

I have also noticed that Mulrine's (at least, that's what I'm told) are building a store or something further out the Donegal Road, to the left.

byte wrote:
    From what I can figure out, the factory was built before the houses were, so does this mean that the Council should bear some responsibility for all this?

I have also noticed that Mulrine's (at least, that's what I'm told) are building a store or something further out the Donegal Road, to the left.

Yes the factory was there before the houses but i think Paddy's point is that the Council granted permission for an extension to the factory after the houses were built
    You ask if the council should bear some responsibilty. Do you mean for allowing the houses to be built or the factory extended.

havent heard anything about them building a new store but there again paddy would be the man to answer that one.

byte & muffler,

It is not correct that the factory was there before the houses. Do you really believe that I would have moved into my bungalow 6 years ago, if there was a massive ugly noisy, stinking industrial estate ,manufacturing fruit juices at the bottom of my garden.

Mulrines began expanding and building about 6 months after I moved in to a quiet peaceful residential estate, surrounded by unspoilt green fields, and located in an officially designated Primarily Residential zone. On the Glenfin Road, Ballybofey.6 (SIX YEARS AGO !)

They have 'SINCE then'! , been permitted to build a monstrous environmentally dominating disaster, which has proven to be a danger and a serious nuisance to all of the Twin Towns area.

Now, they have also been permitted to start further development further up the Donegal Road. Despite official protests from local residents dating back almost 20 years.

The dispute continues ?..and it saddens me that people believe that "The Factory was there before the houses ", thats total rubbish ! :( there are houses beside Mulrines, that are over 70 years old !.

• Advertisement

MulrinesPressSept05.jpg

Not sure if this Pic will enlarge enough after you click on it ?..hover arrow over bottom right and when a little box appears, click on it !.

Negative0-05-051.jpg

byte & muffler,

What would you feel like doing!, if building works like this suddenly appeared behind your new home ?...where you thought you could live in peace , watching the horses grazing in the field behind your garden, then Mulrines monstrosity arrives, and the construction/expansion continues for the past 6 years, followed by the manufacturing buildings and associated juggernauts, nuisances etc etc :rolleyes: Just look again at the photos, without the rose tinted glasses,and read the facts again , ITS PURE HELL, ( O.K.) :eek: The nightmare" Factory from Hell " at dusk, as dark as the mood of the local residents.

Neither of you would last a week trying to live a normal life here, would you ?...

Paddy20 wrote:
    byte & muffler,

It is not correct that the factory was there before the houses........

Mulrines began expanding and building about 6 months after I moved in to..

..and it saddens me that people believe that "The Factory" was there before the houses

C'mon now Paddy. Your statements are completely contradictory.
    How the hell could they "begin expanding" if there was nothing there to expand.

Nobody is trying to make little of your concerns Paddy but for the benefit of people viewing these posts and do not know ballybofey you need to be a little more liberal with the facts.

Mulrines had their factory there donkeys years before the houses were even considered at that location. Yes, the factory was a lot smaller a number of years ago but their business thrived and they expanded as any business would do in times of economic growth. The photos you posted show lorries and sheds and retaining walls etc which is assumed were all added on to the original premises

This expansion appears to be the bone of contention. Going by the photos you have posted you are quite right to campaign against that mess but please dont try to blinker the good people here by making statements which you yourself know to be incorrect. You aren't doing yourself or your campaign any favours by making false statements

Now where did those white crows go to ;)

So, according to muffler Mulrines were in Donegal Road, before houses that are over 70 years OLD !, Utter misleading tosh.

As I have stated before, they 'were permitted' to move to Donegal Rd about 20 years ago. This was a mistake, as it is a residential zone, or in plain english it is not designated as suitable for industry. That is why there are 'Industrial estates' for this type of development. In law there is an offence called, 'Disturbing the peace' for a very good reason, because peoples right to "The quiet peaceful uninterrupted enjoyment of their own homes" is enshrined in Irish law, thats why people get charged with disturbing the peace an imprisonable offence !.

Have another look at the aerial map I posted. Where is the factory behind my bungalow at Cois na Finn (Top left of Mulrines outlined land) which has now been built on, right up to Glenfin Road and directly behind my house. ;) which is IMHO an offence against all EU best practice/good neighbour planning legislation which both Mulrines & Donegal County Council are supposed to abide by ?....

Paddy20 wrote:
    So, according to muffler Mulrines were in Donegal Road, before houses that are over 70 years !, Utter misleading tosh.

Paddy, you know exactly what I am referring to - the housing estate where you live.

Just answer a simple question. Which was there first - Mulrines factory or the housing estate where you live

There was no factory of any kind on the Glenfin Road where I live, when the Cois na Finn housing estate was built approx 6 years ago. When we moved in, we could neither 'see nor hear' Mulrines factory, which was located 'only' on the Donegal Road. ;)

69761254-1631-4958-900F-FAE1866B52E.png

Here is the 'Aerial photo' taken after we were in residence, and Mulrine had started massive expansion , where is the factory on the Glenfin Road?... (Top of map) beside the houses on the left of the marked off land, particularly the 2 bungalows located on the left, behind which there was only a green field with beautiful horses grazing in it.

I moved into Glenfin Road, NOT DONEGAL ROAD and myself and all the other residents of Cois na Finn have been treated with disdain by Mulrine and the Authorities, but " He who laughs last, laughs the longest ". :)

BTW, I was born on the Donegal Road, grew up in Donegal Street, and now live at Cois na Finn on the Glenfin Road. God, I have travelled ;) .

Maybe that explains my exhaustion, or could it be the effect of Mulrines " Factory estate FROM HELL " :eek: Now, excuse me while I just go and throw myself into the River Finn.

'Good here innit':- London cockney rhyming slang.

byte

The fact remains that Mulrines factory existed before your house in Cois na Finn.

With that in mind, when Mulrines went for planning permission to expand down along the residential area, they were given the go-ahead. So, this would make me think that the council are still accountable for signing on the dotted line.

Don't get me wrong, I would not be happy to have a smelly, noisy, dangerous factory glaring in my back window! But still, somebody let them expand there. And if they were allowed to expand, then they had no reason to move to another non-residential area.

byte wrote:
    The fact remains that Mulrines factory existed before your house in Cois na Finn.

With that in mind, when Mulrines went for planning permission to expand down along the residential area, they were given the go-ahead. So, this would make me think that the council are still accountable for signing on the dotted line.

But still, somebody let them expand there. And if they were allowed to expand, then they had no reason to move to another non-residential area.

Apart from the Mulrine familys duty to respect the 'civil rights' of their local townies, their actions and unforgiveable behaviour in destroying the local environment has turned most of the populace against the Mulrine family, a pity, when you consider that Peter Mulrines father was my GP, when I was a boy in Donegal Street, as he lived only a few doors away from me.

As for the totally irresponsible behaviour of 'certain known' individual civil servants employed by our Local Authority. They will be called to account in a court of law, along with HSE Environmental Health Officers who have failed to carry out their duty, in the public interest.

It is not 'wise practise' to forewarn those whom you intend to see in the dock. So, I will not elaborate any further, except to state that as I am disabled and mostly housebound 24/7, I qualify for unlimited legal aid, to take this issue as far as the 'European Court of Human Rights' at no financial cost too me personally, although the defence expenses will be astronomical :D .

Other avenues of justice are also being persued, you ain't seen nothing yet ;)

• Advertisement

Paddy20 wrote:
    There was no factory of any kind on the Glenfin Road where I live, when the Cois na Finn housing estate was built approx 6 years ago. When we moved in, we could neither 'see nor hear' Mulrines factory, which was located 'only' on the Donegal Road. ;)

For the benefit of everyone who visits and views the Northwest forum. Mulrines factory is located on a site that lies between the Donegal road and the Glenfinn road. The factory has been on this site for longer than I care to remember.

The entrance to the factory is from the Donegal road and this is the front of their site and where their main operations are carried out. To the best of my knowledge they dont have an entrance from the Glenfin Road.

The factory was always visible from the field where the Council built the housing estate that Paddy lives in which btw is accessed from the Glenfin Road.

Over the years Mulrines continued to expand their operations and developed their site back towards the Glenfin Road which was the only way they could expand. This expansion consisted of an extension to the original factory and then a lot of warehousing and parking all of which were developed at various intervals over the last few years.

This led them to the position they are in today where they can go no further back as they are abutting the Glenfin Road AND Paddy's estate. About 6 years ago, approx. the Council built this small scheme of houses off the Glenfin Road adjacent to Mulrines factory premises and Paddy's photo here http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a...FAE1866B52E.png
    clearly shows the layout of the factory site and the housing estate.

Paddy is right in saying that there was no factory at the bottom of his garden when he went to live there initially. But the factory site was there beside his house.The actual factory buildings were located a bit further up on the site. Obviously more of the buildings were constructed on the factory site and got closer and closer to Paddy's house.

The Bank of Ireland is on the Main Street but the overall site runs to the Back road as does Alexanders shop, The Villa Rose etc etc all of which can be accessed from the Back Road. So can you say that there is no bank, shop, hotel etc on the Back Road. I dont think you can but this is similar to what Paddy is claiming when he says there never was a factory on the Glenfinn Road. What you should say Paddy is that there is a factory premises located between the Glenfin and Donegal roads but is only accessed form the Donegal Road.

Because the only access to Mulrines is from the Donegal road does not mean that the property is not located along the Glenfinn road also. Your own photo shows this as being the case.

This post is not made with the intention of taking anything away from Paddy's campaign as, like byte has said, I would not like to be living there either and I wish Paddy the best with whatever course of action he decides to take.

I am merely trying to bring a more accurate and balanced view of this contraversy to the boards and give other people an independant assessment of the situation.

Final word is that I agree with Paddy about the problems he is experiencing but he does need to state the facts more clearly. Paddy you dont need to put a slant on this at all as you have the evidence there.

Advertisement