Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United-v-Blackburn(scores)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

United could usually succeed in the past because teams were used to having 'blips' in the league where they would have a run of losing or drawing games against teams.

Arsenal and now Chelsea have ended that. Utd have already lost as many games as Chelsea did the whole of last season, and Chelsea are now a stronger team than last season.

Actually, they're probably the only one of the top 4 teams who have gotten noticeably stronger, with the acquisitions of Del Horno and Essien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Lemlin wrote:
    Yes, but its not Ferguson's fault that Roman arrived with his billions and Chelsea have grown into such a superforce in world soccer. No manager could compete with them at the minute.

If Chelsea weren't there, the measure of Ferguson's ability would be Liverpool and Arsenal, with whom Ferguson is keeping in touch.

Even if a new manager comes in, United cannot compete with the money and strength in depth that Chelsea have.

Arsenal have finished above them the last two years, so even without Chelsea they still wouldnt have wn the league. They didnt meet Chelsea in the CL either and they didnt win that. 20 years at one club is a long time, but things get stale after such a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Stekelly wrote:
    Arsenal have finished above them the last two years, so even without Chelsea they still wouldnt have wn the league. They didnt meet Chelsea in the CL either and they didnt win that. 20 years at one club is a long time, but things get stale after such a long time.
    United gave up last year after they coulnd't win it. If the league was at stake you would have seen a far different team/results for the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'll accept your point about the year before when Arsenal were unstoppable but last year, Man Utd had two very important wins over Arsenal that were huge psychological blows to them.

The effect of this was made less important by the fact that, despite losing to Man Utd, Chelsea were running away with the league on Arsenal anyway.

Mourinho and Chelsea have changed the whole psychological 'game' that existed between Wenger and SAF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Not a chance.
    The standard of the English premiership is prob at an all time low.

I don't agree with you there . I think the standard at the top of the league is higher than it has ever been, how else could you explain the champions of Europe not finishing in the top 4 in the premiership. Chelsea and Arsenal both raised their game to halt United dominance and much as I hate to admit it the foundation players that united success was built on are all aging and lack either or both the commitment or fitness to match them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,657 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

The Muppet wrote:

I can't argue with you being angry but not watching the team in future matche puzzels me. If you can't handle seeing your team lose maybe sport is not for you.
    :rolleyes:

ya right mg :rolleyes:

its just makes me angry that ferguson is still there

fair play to him that he helped united to win so many trophies but he should have gone last season

i personally think he cant drive the team forward
    O shea when he started at united was great player now has no confidence and no wonder Ronney lashes out on the pitch being played out of position
    and that bloody formation is quite boring to watch most of the time at lest one thing came out good this season we have a great Goalie

ya right mg :rolleyes:

its just makes me angry that ferguson is still there

Are you old enough to remember when he wasn't there? United were no great shakes winning the odd FA cup or two.

:
    fair play to him that he helped united to win so many trophies but he should have gone last season

i personally think he cant drive the team forward
    O shea when he started at united was great player now has no confidence and no wonder Ronney lashes out on the pitch being played out of position
    and that bloody formation is quite boring to watch most of the time at lest one thing came out good this season we have a great Goalie

SO what did fergie do to O shea to ruin his confidence? Did R ooney not lash out when he was at Everton? What formation would you play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

O shea when he started at united was great player now has no confidence
    And how exactly does that work? By Fergie playing O'Shea all the time he somehow lacks confidence? :confused:
    and no wonder Ronney lashes out on the pitch being played out of position
    That's silly. The reason why Rooney looses his head on the pitch is because he's a hothead.
    And also by your reckoning Wenger should of gone a long time ago for playing Henry as a forward!
    and that bloody formation is quite boring to watch most of the time
    So what exactly have you got a problem with the formation and results or how entertained you are?
    one thing came out good this season we have a great Goalie
    But that's ok? Do you not think you're being very selective in your criticism?

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,331 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'll be glad when Utd play tomorrow night. At least that should put an end to this thread although there were some fine comments made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I see Sky News tonight where a lot of fans are calling for fergies head. I hope the man has enough sense not to step down. In fact, I know he does. Man Utd lost because they missed several chances. That is not the managers fault. You would sware with all the people going on about tactics and formations that they actually have a clue or an indepth knowledge about it but let's face, I know you don't. At all. So step away from the championship manager world and stop with the ridiculous comments.

Oh and Headshot that was the biggest load of bollox i have ever read on this soccer board. It looks like it was written by a 6 year old. What age are you? Honestly.

• Advertisement

muffler wrote:
    I'll be glad when Utd play tomorrow night. At least that should put an end to this thread although there were some fine comments made.

I hope you're not referring to the comments about me being a pedant and up my own ****. ;)

You're right though a good result tonight will shut up the sack Fergie campaigners at least until United Draw or lose another match, then they'll be off again.

It's funny that everyone knows that successful clubs attract fans of the Glory Hunting Variety, yet not one United fan would admit to being a Glory Hunter.

I'm sorry if that offend anyone but what else can you call someone that turns thier back on the club/manager as soon as things start to decline as is inevitable with all great teams. On reflection I,m not a bit sorry as thats how I see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

I think that the main problem with the formation is that is doesn't suit Ruud. I believe Saha would be far better in that role.(Don't get me wrong I think Ruud is a super player but he is at his best when supported closely). Saha is a far more mobile power player capable of running with the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

The Muppet wrote:
    You're right though a good result tonight will shut up the sack Fergie campaigners at least until United Draw or lose another match, then they'll be off again.
    What if ye lose?
    Just wondering what kind of a track record the American lads have had with hiring and firing managers (or coachs) in the past in the NFL. It would be an interesting comparison and a useful barometer as to how patient they are.

I didn't see any of the Blackburn match but I think it's ridiculous to call for any managers head at this stage in the season.

fade2black wrote:

Well done, thats a most constructive contribution to the discussion. Do you throw a tantrum everytime some one doesn't agree with you?
    p.pete wrote:
    What if ye lose?
    Just wondering what kind of a track record the American lads have had with hiring and firing managers (or coachs) in the past in the NFL. It would be an interesting comparison and a useful barometer as to how patient they are.

I didn't see any of the Blackburn match but I think it's ridiculous to call for any managers head at this stage in the season.

I don't think they would be so short sighted as to sack him, did they not offer him or at least expressed and intention to offer him an extended contract when they took control?

I agree with you about sacking managers at this stage of the season, I see Wenger defending Fergie in todays papers , Maybe he's worried as he has had a worse start than Fergie to this season .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Glaziers have a very respectable track record.
    When they came in, they gave the fans loved coach a chance, and while he did well enough, they allowee him to continue.
    Once his preformance dropped over a two year run, like two years of bad preformance, he was replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Right i'm closing this thread now as its well past its sell by date and totally off topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement