Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Vegetarian Day - Dublin

Options
  • 24-09-2005 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

I see there's a poster on a billboard on Pearse Street advertising some event for International Vegetarian Day next Saturday or Sunday (I can't remember which and I can't find anything about it on t'internet).

Does anyone know anything about it? It appears to be some kind of fair in a resource centre down there. I vaguely recall that this has been on before. Has anyone been? Is it worth going to?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

dunno about vegetaian day but i believe sep 13th was world vegan day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

yup.. i have all the details ('twas in the vegetarian socety newsletter).
    "world vegetarian day, sun 2nd october. st. andrew centre, pearse st, dublin 2. 12 noon to 5pm. tasty vegetarian food, exciting stalls and iformative talks. admission €2.50, concessions (oaps, students, vsi members) €1.50."
    i'm gonna check it out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Doctor Benway

yup.. i have all the details ('twas in the vegetarian socety newsletter).
    "world vegetarian day, sun 2nd october. st. andrew centre, pearse st, dublin 2. 12 noon to 5pm. tasty vegetarian food, exciting stalls and iformative talks. admission €2.50, concessions (oaps, students, vsi members) €1.50."
    i'm gonna check it out :)

Cheers. I think I'll pop along myself. Is St. Andrew's that church just down past Trinity Court?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

I went to it a few years ago and thought it was kind of crap to be honest. There were talks, there were information stands, and Govinda's and Cornucopia were selling their food too. Nothing earth shattering or terribly exciting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭kestrel

i'd go even just to meet more vegetarians. i don't know one serious vegetarian (they eat fish, or don't watch out for by-products), and i've never met a vegetarian guy my own age!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

really? that's odd,i know whole families and a good few of my friends have become vegetarian since i've known them.

i think it's very odd too. maybe it's just the carnivorous circles i move in. it sucks...but i'm going out of my way to change that this year! i'm going to this thing on sunday and i'm going to be overly friendly and introduce myself to EVERYONE. of course, i run the risk of completely freaking people out...ah well. what can you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

good plan. i guess you'll win some and you'll loose some... but you gotta try!!
    i've never been to st andrews centre before, but the map i have shows u... turn onto pearse st, once u leave the dart stn. keep walkin, cross erne st, staying on pearse st... and it should be on ur right. supposidly 6 min walk from station.

ill be wandering too, so if i see you wandering ill run over, introduce myself, and we can wander around trying to find it together.

lemme know how it is and if it is good i shall partake next year :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

I went to it once or twice, there's not a whole lot to it but it's good all the same to sample some of the food on offer. I'll definitely give it a shot again this year just for that reason, and a bit of people watching.

The place is on the right just a bit before the grand canal docks/bolands mills bridge there if you are coming from the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Doctor Benway

If anyone's interested in the brief time before tomorrow, here's a link detailing what's on.

I'll probably push along to see what it's like, but it's a shame no one seems to be selling shoes (my personal bugbear).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Anto and Moe

Yeah, world vegetarian day celebration aint spectacular... It was cool though. It would be deadly to have a similar celebration in the summer and we could have a massive picknick in stevens green, but that's a long way off.

Advertisement