Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I claim tax back on rented accomodation?

Options
  • 24-09-2005 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    I am not sure if this is possible or not, but ill give it a shot.
    The reason I am asking is because I have no clue when it comes to tax, etc.
    Just a thought that came up in my head there which came from Eddie's 'Rip off Ireland'....

I am currently paying over €3000 a year for Student Accomodation... Would I be entitled to claim any tax or anything back on it?

-Edit- A few details:
    I was living with my mother, whos sole income is Social Services payments, until 3 weeks ago before moving to Sligo to study a Degree course at Sligo IT.
    I paid for this accomodation out of my own earnings over the summer. I have currently submitted a P50 to claim any tax back that im due from summer work.
    I have paid €2020 in one lump sum to the campus accomodation for rent until Christmas and I have all the necessary documentation to back this up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

It used to be you got £500 tx relief if you were in rented accomodation. But this only made a difference if you were working (and I don't know what the story with tax credits now). But if you're not actually working and funded by social payments I don't think you can claim the tax allowance.

However, I would apply for the tax credits anyway you should be able to offset them against any tax you've paid for over the summer or will do.

Check out Oasis Oasis for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

If you go to www.revenue.ie and click on leaflets and guides you can download the rent relief form. However, as the previous poster said, i'm not sure if students can claim tax relief.

Advertisement