Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripwave and router?

• 24-09-2005 6:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

Does ripwave not work with a router anymore?

My router can not get an ip address off it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

Yes. No reason why it shouldn't, unless you're dropping the signal a lot..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Well I just hooked it up there now and it can't get an IP off the modem.

Doesn't drop the signal. Drops packets a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

Well, just make sure the router is set to automatically obtain an IP address (DHCP). If it's set to a static IP addy, then it won't be able to do much. Once it gets the IP addy, then it can translate this to the other machines on your network.
    By the way, running a network on a RipWave?! Is this really wise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

It's just so that my laptop can move around but my modem can stay put.

It was working fine before I went to U.S. for 3 months. Now it won't get IP. I'll play around with it a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Glad someone has brought this up.. here is my situation.
    Ripwave modem. works fine plugged straight into the back of the pc via rj45. Now plug it into the back of USrobotics 8054 wireless broadband router and the problems start. First gotta use crossover cable or WAN light doesnt even come on. Second, DHCP on WAN side must be enabled becuase ip changes on ripwave modem all the time. even with that enabled on the status screen of the router it says DHCP diconnected. renew ip and i get a time out. The router works fine between the computers i have on the network. So i plugged the ripwave back into the laptop direct and wrote down what the DHCP was giving me in terms of gateway and dns and then set everything up on the computers manually. Disabled the dhcp on the LAN side of the router and enabled it on the WAN side. That worked for nearly 3 full days. Then it stopped working and havn't been able to get internet back through the router since. i need to be albe to access the internet and the big pc from my laptop at the same time. so no i plug the ripwave into the laptop direct and use the wireless card to access the big pc via the router. This works for only a few minutes then i MUST disable the wireless card to continue surfing the internet. wireless is still manually configured and LAN is under the DHCP to suit the ripwave. Annoying when i want to contiunously stream audio data from the big pc while i surf the web! I have given up and will hopefully cancel IBB and go back to DSL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

ballooba wrote:
    It's just so that my laptop can move around but my modem can stay put.

It was working fine before I went to U.S. for 3 months. Now it won't get IP. I'll play around with it a bit more.

Can't get IP? That can be normal operation for RipWave on its bad days .... one thing I noticed when I routed my RipWave (for much the same reason as you did) was that while it worked and all, the diagnostic tool couldn't connect to the modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brad_boy

yeah, i guess you could play with it a bit, u might fix it... hehe haha...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭obried26

Hi, I just got Ripwave today and I'm trying to hook it up to a wireless router so that I can leave the modem in one place and move around the house with my laptop. The wireless router is actually the one you get with Eircom, the Netopia one. One of my mates ordered broadband from Eircom but he cancelled and they delivered the wireless kit to him anyway! When I connect the ripwave modem directly into the netopia router it picks it up no problem, and my laptop's wireless card picks it up no problem. But it won't connect to the internet!
    Any help would be great.

Cheers :D

Advertisement