Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec Alarm System.....please help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

bill m wrote: »
    howdy folks.
    I have an astec 63dv alarm which has been working fine for 3 and a half years but last night it went crazy.The outside alarm goes off on its own then the inside without the outside,when i disarm it,it still goes off every hour or so.Ive called engineers but no one is answering and i need it sorted asap,two kids in the house and understanding neighbours who are at their wits end.I need to disconnect it.I took the fuse out but it still goes off.Is there a battery somewhere i can take out.I took off the inside bell case but cant see anything other than wires.I need to disconnect it before i rip it off the wall and smash it with a hammer....it will probably still go off!!!
    All help would be greatly appreciated:confused::confused::confused:
    bill m

When you disarmed the alarm did it give any indication of what the fault is ?

I checked the outside box and the wires are corroded.prob due to the heavy snow,

If that is the fault you could change the two cores to another pair and do the same in the panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 bill m

howdy Altor,
    thanks for the reply
    yep it said zone 1 5ab 01 call engineer.The engineer new what it was when he finally returned the call.Hes had four call outs in the passed 2 days.he said its because of the harsh weather.
    Zone 1 is the front door so i figured since the door seemed fine it could have meant the outside area and i checked the bell and sure enough the wires were corroded.
    Waiting for the guy to call now.
    The battery took 15 min to run down,IS there a specific battery i should be asking him to put in regarding life or do they all have the same ife length
    cheers m8
    bill

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The SABB will charge back up itself.
    I'm sure the engineer will check everything while he is there.
    That would be the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 bill m

Perfect,
    thanks for all the advice,
    all the best,
    Bill

• Advertisement

howdy Altor,
    thanks for the reply
    yep it said zone 1 5ab 01 call engineer.The engineer new what it was when he finally returned the call.Hes had four call outs in the passed 2 days.he said its because of the harsh weather.
    Zone 1 is the front door so i figured since the door seemed fine it could have meant the outside area and i checked the bell and sure enough the wires were corroded.
    Waiting for the guy to call now.
    The battery took 15 min to run down,IS there a specific battery i should be asking him to put in regarding life or do they all have the same ife length
    cheers m8
    bill

The battery is the standard battery for the old ASTEC system. Yes, I would of put it down to the SAB. The cables in the bell being corroded would of happened since the system was fitted. I would cover the terminals of the sab in mastic to prevent this happening again other wise you may have the same issue again in 3 and a half years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4 leonidas12

WexfordDad wrote: »
    Hi there
    We have a Telecom Fault since we disconnected our Phones from Eircom and every 10 minutes it starts to beep.

I need to tell the system that we are no longer looking for the "Dialer" to work and also that we don't have a Telecom Connection.

Any help you can offfer appreciated.

Tks, Damian
    Hi I have the same problem with my alarm like you and you could help me and tell me how solvable problem.
    I have just as disconnected lines are still on telecom faulty please help

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

leonidas12 wrote: »
    Hi I have the same problem with my alarm like you and you could help me and tell me how solvable problem.
    I have just as disconnected lines are still on telecom faulty please help
    What system is it?

astec 49 dv i have code enginery 1174 and who I do after.

pleas help me

To remove line fault default the dialler.
    From engineer enter 98 96 and press set.
    To leave engineer enter 99 99.
    If it still shows line fault power the system down and after a minute power back up.

• Advertisement

only because I no longer have a phone line disconnected because two days ago, and how to disable the alarm call from the telephone line maybe faulty show again

If you default the dialler it will not display line fault.
    Is that what you wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 jofeck

Hi there - is it possible to obtain a copy of the engineers manual for the Astec 63 alarm? We have the alarm and got a quote this morning for €140 to replace the battery....! Yikes :-)
    I know the battery sells for €10 so going to get a techie to give it a go with the benefit of the manual in these recessionary times!
    Appreciate your help if you have the engineers manual and would make it available.
    Regards.

Sent you a PM;)

jofeck wrote: »
    Hi there - is it possible to obtain a copy of the engineers manual for the Astec 63 alarm? We have the alarm and got a quote this morning for €140 to replace the battery....! Yikes :-)
    I know the battery sells for €10 so going to get a techie to give it a go with the benefit of the manual in these recessionary times!
    Appreciate your help if you have the engineers manual and would make it available.
    Regards.

Hi jofeck,

I cant understand how companys are charging so much for such a simple job.

Power down the panel by turning off the mains, open the lid on control box. remove battery link on the top right. There are 3 screws to be removed to remove the bottom half of the control panel cover. On the circuit board there are 2 screws to be removed to get to the battery. Once you change the battery, put back on circuit board, put back on bottom cover, put in battery link, put on top cover. Job done. If the alarm rings inside while doing this just enter your user code on the panel to silence it. When you power down the alarm completely the external bell will sound and go off when you are finished.

Any problems, let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Germario

Hi
    I have an Astec 63DV alarm which is now showing "76 call engineer" after I touched off one of the window contacts. Is there anyway of resetting this without paying the alarm company a fortune to come out and enter a code
    Cheers

Germario wrote: »
    Hi
    I have an Astec 63DV alarm which is now showing "76 call engineer" after I touched off one of the window contacts. Is there anyway of resetting this without paying the alarm company a fortune to come out and enter a code
    Cheers

The installer put an engineer reset on the system. This means you will need the engineer code entered to clear the fault. I would also say he engineer locked the panel. You could try defaulting the alarm just in case he did not and reprogram it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 SMULVI

Hi,
    Have teh Astec 63 alarm, and getting the 61 - Engineer error messge for a while now. More recently that has changed to say something about 'pad fault' or something similar.
    Having read the instructions above, I'm going to get me a battery and have a go at changing it - but where do i go about finding the engineer manual or code - co who installed it 7.5 years ago are no longer on the go!
    Thanks in advance
    SMulvi

Look up the suppliers sticky if you want to source a battery.
    I will PM you a link for the manual.
    You may need to default the panel to get into engineer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 StPatsFc

Recently had the same problem

77-Call Engineer

Lads who installed it have ceased trading !!

Can some please PM me the manual ?

• Advertisement

Sent you that manual.
    Call engineer 77 is the service interval.
    Is the system working?

StPatsFc wrote: »
    Recently had the same problem

77-Call Engineer

Lads who installed it have ceased trading !!

Can some please PM me the manual ?

The code 77 is a service interval set up by the installer to remind you to have it serviced. The only way to clear this is to go into engineering, command 27 set to 0 and come back out of it. The alarm should still function as normal with this on the screen.

Entering & leaving engineer clears the fault. Setting 27 value to 0 prevents it appearing again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Moved from DIY

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

Morning all,

Great thread BTW, brilliant to see so many helpful people out there....

I have an Astec 63 system installed for years, has been non functioning for years too. At the time, we tried to get it fixed by the original installers but they were no longer in business. Tried a few other numbers, got promises of calls back but never got any ( height of the celtic tiger, I suppose...too busy installing new alarms )

So, all was fine until the alarm started to go off in the middle of the night, rang for about 20 -30 mins and then everything died..... the outside and inside ringers, and the control/display panel inside the house. The display panel is completely dead. The second problem we have is that one of the sensors upstairs has broken ( the one on the window, the one on the frame is fine, the outer cover got smashed by the recoil on the blind and we're left some wiring hanging down ). Looks like there is no power going to the alarm at all now

Is it going to be more expensive to get this fixed than to get an entirely new alarm. Any help/suggestions gladly received

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Sounds like the battery has run completely flat and has brought the entire system down too. It certainly wouldn't be cheaper to replace it with a modern system but there are plenty of modern systems out there that are a much better system than yours, Astec Fusion, HKC Securwave, SigNET to name a few so if you had the money you should think about upgrading.

How much to get yours fixed? It's difficult to say because there could be a lot wrong with it.

nicebutdim wrote: »
    Morning all,

Great thread BTW, brilliant to see so many helpful people out there....

I have an Astec 63 system installed for years, has been non functioning for years too. At the time, we tried to get it fixed by the original installers but they were no longer in business. Tried a few other numbers, got promises of calls back but never got any ( height of the celtic tiger, I suppose...too busy installing new alarms )

So, all was fine until the alarm started to go off in the middle of the night, rang for about 20 -30 mins and then everything died..... the outside and inside ringers, and the control/display panel inside the house. The display panel is completely dead. The second problem we have is that one of the sensors upstairs has broken ( the one on the window, the one on the frame is fine, the outer cover got smashed by the recoil on the blind and we're left some wiring hanging down ). Looks like there is no power going to the alarm at all now

Is it going to be more expensive to get this fixed than to get an entirely new alarm. Any help/suggestions gladly received

Any company should be able to get that system working for you again.
    It is a good alarm system if installed correctly so getting it fixed is the best solution. The magnet for the window, a new battery and a service wont cost as much as replacing the control panel and keypad upgrading. As fred has said if you did decide to upgrade the alarm the Astec fusion would be the replacement to go for. You could use all the sensors you have for the Astec 63 with this system. It would work out cheaper than upgrading to any other system as the Astec two wire sensors will only work with Astec.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

Thanks Fred and Altor....we have had pyrite confirmed today so the alarm has dropped down the list of priorities. But thanks for taking the time to reply, it's appreciated

nicebutdim wrote: »
    Thanks Fred and Altor....we have had pyrite confirmed today so the alarm has dropped down the list of priorities. But thanks for taking the time to reply, it's appreciated

Your welcome,
    It would not be that big a job to do yourself with all the help you will get here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Hi

I have the following error on an astec alarm

61 call engineer at the top right hand corner

under the clock time it says fault and in the bottom rigt han corner it says

TELECOM BATTERY

what do i do?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement