Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin- best ripwave alternative?

• 24-09-2005 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

Hey, Ive read a few of the threads here but there is just so much to get through.

Id be very happy if someone could reccommend a good alternative to ripwave in Dublin.

Im basically sick of Ripwave, crap speeds, no support etc etc.

I dont want a new phone line, just budget wireless broadband similar to ripwave.

Any ideas??

TIA
    womoma

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

ClearWire (www.clearwire.ie)
    It works exactly the same as RipWave, as in a modem they give you which picks up on wireless signals, but is a lot more reliable. It uses WiMax technology and they offer 1 Mbps/256 kbps or 2 Mbps/256 kbps products. I have one now for the last 2 nights, and it has been flying. Latency goes up and down a bit, from 15-45 ms, but speeds are great. Hopefully it'll last.
    Also, if you sign up, it's €1 for the first month, and then you're tied to a twelve month contract. If you're not hapy with the product after 30 days however, you simply call them and cancel, and they come to collect the modem. So far, I've been very happy with mine, and also have received great customer service thus far. As I say, hopefully it'll last!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

THats interesting. Seems like a decent product. Shame their website is such a mess. I should bt able to click PRODUCTS, then get a table with Price, Speed etc.. Ill look into it. cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

How prolific is this Clearwire craic? Is it available in D2/D4/D6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

The site should tell you... oh .. it doesnt..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

The site is rubbish. I was onto one of the sales guys in there (Just send them an email (info@clearwire.ie / support@clearwire.ie. They responded to me about all the pricing /product details etc. within 24 hours), and he said they're working on an entirely new web-site at the moment, with coverage maps, product details etc. etc. They're still in the test phase, but are going officially live some time in October.
    Here's some details I got from Barry in the sales department:

The price listings are: 1meg down, 256K up - €39.95 (10 Gb cap)
    2meg down, 256k up - €49.95 (20 Gb cap)
    There's a 12 month contract involved, but if you're not happy with it after 30 days, you can return the product and the contract is terminated. Also, he said that for each person you get to sign up with them for over 30 days, you get a month's credit for free. I don't see anything official about this written anywhere, but hey, he's in sales!!
    Also, he said the prices will most likely drop down substantially once the product goes on general realease (Which it should really, as they're currently quite expensive, no matter how good the product is!).
    By the way, I'm in the D4 area (Haddington Road). My closest mast is somewhere in Fitzwilliam Square, and I currently get 5 bars as my signal (That's the max by the way). Dunno about the rest of their coverage, but hey, why not just send them an email and fine out......
    (By the way, I don't work for them!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

yea i rang them today, class contention ratio of 10:1 too, gonna give it a blast i reckon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Be careful. See my posts on Clearwire. Having a lot of problems with it.

Advertisement