Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I object to today's Republican march.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

linux wrote:
    Well unfortunately Bulger it will occur and although you would like to see more people die as a result,

Being a member of the United kingdom isnt fatal, if it was there would not be fifty million people living there.
    I would hope its a peacefull transition.The North will rejoin (by this I see you have an understanding that we once were a nation united) the republic at some time in the future, and all republicans aspire to this, otherwise they would cease to be republican.

The only time Ireland was ever united was under brittish rule. before that going as far back as the stone age, Ireland was never a united entity.

I do see some copyright infringment on the part of sinn fein though, if not by producing the T-shirts linked below, then by selling them on their website.

http://www.sinnfeinbookshop.com/en-us/dept_20.html
    http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/

care to compare the logos?

I would find the use of imagary developed to promote the cancelation of third world debt being hijacked by a group such as sinn fein or any other political movement, distastful.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I would find the use of imagary developed to promote the cancelation of third world debt being hijacked by a group such as sinn fein or any other political movement, distastful.
    Indeed, quite disgusting to hijack such a noble cause for your own grubby little ends. Any loser who goes into town to chant along to SF propoganda needs his or her head examining. The ebb tide is turning on SF in the republic, people are seeing them for the bunch or organised criminal backed w@nkers that they really are and hopefully they'll be shown the door at the next election, though sadly what there is to vote for instead of them is less than exciting, which is the only reason they have a prayer.

linux wrote:
    I have watched both the 9 o'clock news and Sky news and there was no mention of such chants as you call them. I will scan the papers 2moro as I have said and will give Bulger the benefit of the doubt until then, if the papers don't report it then I'm afraid it will be regarded as bull.

Did Sky News report on what I had for breakfast. I think I had it, but I need that rubber stamp from Sky, or just that confirmation from RTE, to make it a reality, and to enable me go forward and think about lunch. Because nothing happens until the media covers it.

That logic could have interesting implications - I mean, neither Sky nor RTE reported from Elvis' toilet that faithfull night, ergo the King is alive and well and that awful death stuff never happened. Neither Sky nor RTE had any reporters covering the extinction of dinosaurs business, do you reckon they still exist and have become awfully good at hiding and blending in?

Out of curiosity, if Sky or RTE carried any of the following, does it make them fact?

1. Sinn Fein leader member of IRA Army Council
    2. Sinn Fein members train FARC guerillas in art of killing civilians
    3. Sinn Fein members kick McCartney to death
    4. Sinn Fein members rob bank to line their pockets

Incidentally, I share your hope for a united Ireland, but perhaps I come from a background where thugs and criminals are treated with more cynicism...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I do see some copyright infringment on the part of sinn fein though, if not by producing the T-shirts linked below, then by selling them on their website.

Was the "Make Poverty History" slogan copyrighted? Links would be nice.

Unless they don't have permission from the IRA or the estate of Bobby Sands to use their images and or slogans the only possible copyright infringement I see would be the Celtic Hoodie. Maybe they have permission for that? Maybe they are selling on genuine Celtic goods. I don't know, do you?

At least they use a .ie domain which is more than can be said for many state / semi-state bodies. All the airports for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

Im sickened to death of republicans (in the IRA / SF mould) making these protests.

• Advertisement

Hagar wrote:
    Regardless of the legal implications, don't you think it's in bad taste to hijack a slogan like that for their own ends?
    Hagar wrote:
    At least they use a .ie domain which is more than can be said for many state / semi-state bodies. All the airports for instance.
    Well, 26 mil does go a long way in overpriced .ie domain names :D

Hagar wrote:

Unless they don't have permission from the IRA or the estate of Bobby Sands to use their images and or slogans the only possible copyright infringement I see would be the Celtic Hoodie. Maybe they have permission for that? Maybe they are selling on genuine Celtic goods. I don't know, do you?

all the celtic and bobby sands stuff just happen to be on the same page as the "make partition history" tee shirt, so for the purpose of this thread they do not concern me.

as for copyright
    http://www.makepovertyhistory.org/footpages/termsandconditions.shtml

re .ie domains check this out
    http://www.sinnfein.co.uk

MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY all one word is indeed a TM/copyright but "make partition history" are three distinct words and I don't think are copyright. I accept that it is a take on the original name but weren't the wristbands the anti poverty crowd sold a take on the anti racist / gay / fill in the blanks yourself bands that had been used by others before them?

I don't see the aspiration to a United Ireland as being in bad taste so I don't see the use of a slogan supporting this as being in bad taste. If it said something like "make Paisley history" it would be in bad taste. But it didn't say anything negative, it proposed something postive. Regardless of what some of the crowd were shouting both Sinn Féin and the IRA are now committed to seeking an end to partition by peaceful means.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Nothing wrong in stating that Partition should be history unless all the democrats here would like to rule that a political goal of ending partition is illegitimate and undemocratic.

As for the copyright issue - get real. There is no copyright infringement on the slogan MAKEPOVERTYHISTORY™ ©2004.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭cal29

One question WTF do SF need a .co.uk web address for they already have a .ie one
    is this a sign of the Partitionist mentality inside SF

• Advertisement

It might be a sign that they have site traffic from England Scotland Wales ?

Also there may be legitimate reasons tax etc for hosting sites in different countries.

They also have .com for sales of goods in the US

also to prevent domain name squatters, or some opposing group setting up a parody site or something.

I also assume it is to stop cyber sqatters [see http://www.sinnfein.com/ ] and groups that would use that domain to attack SF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 linux

Just finished reading the papers and there was'nt one mention of the "Kill Kill Kill the RUC" Chants which have been mentioned on this dreadfull forum, yes coraborated by completely disgusting liars, its this type of propoganda which fuels violent protest and this disgusting forum is letting people fan the flames once again.

Shame on you Earthman and your fellow mod's your the lowest of the low in Irish society and your filthy acceptance of such disgusting lie is deplorable you should be ashamed of yourself.

I will be doing my utmost to highlight this thread and have already copy and pasted everything here to demonstrate to others around the world on other sites the exact nature of this board and it's biased filth.I also have column in a provincial newspaper and will be doing the same there.

I gave people the benefit of the doubt here but no more.
    Im off to politics.ie for a proper dicussion without lies and idiots as the ones found here.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Hmm, some agitation here. Allow me to add to it.

Firstly I will state that I am not overly exercised by idea of Sinn Fein marching and would put it under "another march blocking up the city centre". Sure I knew it was on but gave it all of 1 minute's attention on the news bulletin.

It is very easy to get offended and some people do so easier than others. It is also true that when parties or politicans address their own they have a specific message and that message may be unpalatable to those outside. They in effect preach to the converted. All parties, geovernments etc. do this.

As regards the unification argument IMO it is dependent on how Sinn Fein progress . As evidenced by their recent attempts to get "attractive candidates" getting out of their natural constituency will be difficult.

There is also the small matter of the 45% of the population in The North who may not have republican aspirations. Their aspirations, which I will admit are not clear to me, may be anathema to republicans but they will be part of any solution. Who will ask them what they think of the idea?

And finally who's going to pay for it all? German reunification is still haemorrhaging cash.

linux wrote:
    I also have column in a provincial newspaper and will be doing the same there
    An Poblacht or some other sh!te? (ah why am I asking?! you'll likely be banned for the torrent of abuse you just spouted cos we didn't all agree with you and your sort before you can reply)

linux wrote:

I gave people the benefit of the doubt here but no more.
    Im off to politics.ie for a proper dicussion without lies and idiots as the ones found here.

:confused:
    Free speech = "I will defend your right to speak even if I do not agree with anything you say."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

linux wrote:
    Just finished reading the papers and there was'nt one mention of the "Kill Kill Kill the RUC" Chants which have been mentioned on this dreadfull forum,

Could you supply references to prove this please? Given your own insistence that allegations be accpomanied be proof, it is not enough for you to offer your word that you've read the papers.

Links to all published articles (including all broadcast video) would suffice, although I'm sure your own standards would also be met by a link to a media coverage of your perusal of this information.

If you're not going to supply this information, then your claims hold exactly as much water as those you're condemning as fabrications.....at which point I would suggest that you should therfore be the target of your own vitriol as equally as any others here.
    Shame on you Earthman and your fellow mod's your the lowest of the low in Irish society and your filthy acceptance of such disgusting lie is deplorable you should be ashamed of yourself.
    So far, as an uninvolved third party, I see two sets of posters both inisting their version of events are true, and neither supplying corroborating evidence.

Unfortunately, lack of coverage by the media, or even you failing to notice the chants does not rule out the possibility that they occurred. So, again using the rules of this forum and the standards of proof that you insist on others meeting, I can only see your accusations of lying as being as suspect as the actions you are targetting those accusations against.

Of course, of the two parties, one seems interested in offering their opinion of the events in question, while the other - that being yourself - seems only interested in dragging the conversation away from what was being discussed and into some ad hominem attack of those who dare not to share yoru viewpoint. In the interest of trying to get back on topic, I'll thefeore skip over the rest of that attack and deal with the remaining points in your post.

Oh. There wouldn't seem to be any.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 linux

bonkey wrote:
    Unfortunately, lack of coverage by the media, or even you failing to notice the chants

Bonkey Your ignorance is unbelievable and you are also a Mod, my god the forum is littered with biased ant-republican idiots, so much so they criticise someone looking for evidence of completetly manufactured propoganda, hillarious to say the least.

I've read the Sunday times, Sunday Independent, Tribune and Ireland on Sunday all of which have differing views on the march and it's attendace ranging from 3,000 to 20,000 people, but more importantly ther was extensive coverage in all papers on the march and not one mentioned the disgusting lies mentioned on this forum ie."Kill Kill Kill the RUC" chants and supported by the Mod's

So your defence has been torn to pieces I'm afraid and yet you still try and dig your way out of a hole, this site has been shown for what it is complete manufactured lies and propaganda against those who argue for a United Ireland.
    It seems boards.ie has not moved with the times when it comes to political freedom, and is nothing more than a pile of drivell when it comes to honest factual discussion.
    It's no wonder you have only a handfull of visitors to your forum its complete boloney to say the least.
    Now do yourself a favor and grow up and begin discussing fact and not Alice in Wonderland type nonsense.
    My children would come up with better stuff than this :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

linux wrote:
    Bonkey Your ignorance is unbelievable and you are also a Mod,
    Yeah because mods have the monopoly on common sense. Pld tbh!
    linux wrote:
    My children would come up with better stuff than this :(:(:(
    Dear god he has kids, may god have mercy on us all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Linux banned for 2 weeks for his/her little outburst after a warning on the thread from Earthman.

As regards the truth. The fact that 3 different boards members who from my perspective do not have any common agenda, have backed up with eyewitness reports is good enough for me.

I have read the report in the Sunday Independent and what is most distasteful is the fact that young children are being indoctorated into the poisoned and smallminded mindset of this form of Republicanism. No amount of highlighting words in bold will take away from this.

linux wrote:
    Bonkey

I've read the Sunday times, Sunday Independent, Tribune and Ireland on Sunday all of which have differing views on the march and it's attendace ranging from 3,000 to 20,000 people, but more importantly ther was extensive coverage in all papers on the march and not one mentioned the disgusting lies mentioned on this forum ie."Kill Kill Kill the RUC" chants and supported by the Mod's

So your defence has been torn to pieces I'm afraid and yet you still try and dig your way out of a hole, this site has been shown for what it is complete manufactured lies and propaganda against those who argue for a United Ireland.

None of the sources you read hold much sway in my book. They are as inclined to massage the truth as any of us. It may have been missed or deemed "not newsworthy". Someone says yes you say no and get upset. For now all we have as a rebuttal is your own research, informed quite probably by your own political position. As for insidious entity that is boards.ie well there is life beyond the Politics forum. :)

Baz_ wrote:
    Dear god he has kids, may god have mercy on us all...
    Arrrghh, beaten to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

recent attempts to get "attractive candidates"

They will continue to try and find "attractive candidates" and will try and hold the balance of power in the Republic.

What annoys me about SF/IRA is that a "make partition history" march is a nonsense as SF/IRA recognise that patition will stay as long as the majority in NI want it. Polls show that many nationlists support NI remaining as part of the United Kingdom.

The march yesterday does nothing for community relations in Norther Ireland.

A Spin Fein production on the streets of our captal city. I think the people of NI deserve better.

"attractive candidates" since Mary Hearney got in there's hope for us all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I would like to see a United Ireland.

I don't like to see narrow-minded, anti-British 'Republicans' further damaging the chances of reunification by highlighting their bigotry in marches such as these.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Hagar wrote:
    "attractive candidates" since Mary Hearney got in there's hope for us all :D
    SINN Fein has made an audacious attempt to recruit Cork's All Ireland winning hurling captain Sean Og O hAilpin as an election candidate

Sean Og declined their advances.

But make no mistake about it - they're aim is to hold the balance of power so they'll be in a poition to demand & demand.

I do not understand why some people find it hard to comprehend that a political party is looking for "attractive candidates" to go forward for election.

I do not understand why some people find it hard to comprehend that a political party is looking for "attractive candidates" to go forward for election.

Absolutely not, that's politics these days. You pick candidates people will vote for. By attractive I mean candidates that are acceptable outside of Sinn Fein's traditional bailiwick. Labour have done it, the question is whether Sinn Fein can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Ok.

I had forgotten about the joys of this forum, it has indeed been a while. But Plus ca change...

I posted this, my first thread in this forum for a long long time, because I was actually so surprised by this march taking place on the streets of Dublin. This wasn't South Armagh, or the Falls Road.

I heard the aforementioned slogans. It matters nothing to me if the papers didn't have reporters at that section of the parade at the time and the slogans were not heard, or if they haven't chosen to report it. I know what I heard. By the by, there was also quite a large banner that said "Smash The RUC" that could easily have photographed with my phone, had I known SF/IRA folk had become so fascinated with 'evidence'. As organisations I think everyone can agree they have a somewhat complex relationship with 'evidence'. 'Smash' is an interesting word. To my mind, it doesn't really convey a peaceful, political disbandment or restructuring, but I suppose it's subjective..

Along the footpaths, the march was scarcely attended. Most people who turned up to support it as far as I saw actually joined the march, which was the organisers desire I'd imagine. The scattered onlookers were mostly random gawpers such as myself, so I think non-supporters such as myself were relatively rare.

I don't appreciate being called a liar, especially when all I have done is to use this site as it was intended to be used. If this is par for the course for the current boards.ie, rest assured the forum will be spared any threads from me for some time to come yet again.

I'm actually surprised that there have not been more contributions from people who saw the march and objected, but this may be due to what for my part seemed a low attendance from non-SF supporters. I believe, and I hope, that the majority of Irish citizens are opposed to marches such as these, with the flaunting of paramilitary militaria and celebration of conflict and violence.

The worry for me is that people will not wake up to the sort of company SF keeps until it has exercised a negative influence over the populace. Looking back at history we would be arrogant to assume we could never make the same mistakes that many other countries have made in allowing ourselves to be led astray by politicans in respectable, populist clothes but with forked tongues. The naivety of many who ignore the complicity of SF activists in murder (McCartney/Rafferty), espionage and low-level criminality is appalling.

I look forward to the next election. I don't believe SF will achieve much. Yet it is undeniable that the electorate of this country is flirting with some very dangerous people.

Advertisement