Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handguns in Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Could we have flags details as a stickie it is handy information

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Let's hope the amended legislation will establish some procedure for sorting it all out.

Any "Heads up" on when this is likely to come before the Dáil....?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

jaycee wrote:
    Any "Heads up" on when this is likely to come before the Dáil....?
    The second stage of the Dail debate is scheduled for this Thursday's session again JC.

As to the amendments, I wrote an email to the minister's office asking to see a copy after he gave his presentation to the Joint Committee. Their response was that the Minister is going to ask for permission to draft the actual proposal, and then he'll put the actual amended Bill up on justice.ie (I've asked for permission to reprint the full email here, but they tag on conditions to their emails saying that you can't reprint them without permission). They're saying that they won't be made public till then.

Their response was that the Minister is going to ask for permission to draft the actual proposal,
    He needs permission to Draft the proposal...? Eh..?
    and then he'll put the actual amended Bill up on justice.ie

And the timeframe for all this is....roughly ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

He needs permission to Draft the proposal...? Eh..?
    The idea, as I understand it, is that he makes a presentation to the Joint Committee laying out what he wants to legislate for; they make their recommendations to the Dail; McDowell then presents his amendments to the Dail following the conclusion of the Joint Committee stage, and then this amended Bill is voted on; after which it goes to the Seanad and we do this all over again. As to timeframe, I'd say we're talking more weeks than months, but that's about as close as I'd want to bet on it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

I would'nt like to see laws slackened but rather see the variety of Firearms available increased within reason.

ie. Pistols that are sold here not a rip off prices and larger varieties of them.

Higher Calibre Rifles both semi auto and boltaction etc.

More facilities for shooters and training programmes for potential shooters.

I would'nt want to see us go like the U.S but rather Europe say Germany.

Thanks Sparks,
    I wasn't aware of the steps involved..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

woody wrote:
    I would'nt like to see laws slackened but rather see the variety of Firearms available increased within reason.

ie. Pistols that are sold here not a rip off prices and larger varieties of them.

Buy outside the State!This is what the EU is all about!The more busisnesses have to compete here the less rip offs you will see.I am making it a point now to buy anything I need outside Ireland.I am just fed up of being ripped off with everything around here.Day to day living and shooting related.

I would'nt want to see us go like the U.S but rather Europe say Germany.[/

Errr.NO you wouldnt!!Their liscensing system for target shooting is a three
    year written and practical nightmare.Their Hunting liscense is a four year oral,written and practical test with MAJOR expense and lifestyle changes attached to it.Thats if you want to do it properly in WestGermany.You can do a quicckie hunting course in the East,but it is looked down upon by the hunters who have done the four year hard course.The security requirements for storing and reloading are difficult enough too,not to mind the psychological testing as well.
    The only advantage to German firearm laws is that they are pretty clear in what you can do,cant do,own,not own.And what the requirements are for getting a firearm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

i dont think that the gunshops in Ireland are ripping you off- most of the guys in it seem to be in it as part of a hobby and I have only seen gun shops close not open over the last 20-30 years. ( the one in Bray, Garnetts and keegans, etc.)
    We can only buy a limited amount of firearms. We bought 2 ( an air rifle and a shotgun) in 30 years in ireland while I have bought and sold 6 in 3 years in Australia.

If we do not support gunshops in Ireland they will closed not lower the prices.

regarding the German procedures I certainly hope we do not go down that route as it would put off a a lot of interested shooters.

We have a reasonable system here (australia) for rifles - 1 day course for shooting followed by an exam undertaken at the club. Hunting is a further course undertaken under the control at a college for further education again for one day- with a shooting profiency test.
    Pistol shooting courses are generally undertaken over a number of weeks - I have not done it as its too much trouble so i dont know the exact ins and outs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Babble

FX Meister wrote:
    I thought that all handguns were against the law in Ireland.
    Maybe someone should make a Sticky (A thankless job) about the subject of whats currently legal or not. A basic outline as to how and why
    I myself have asked handgun questions and noticed it has cropped up many times in the past.

• Advertisement
Advertisement