Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jap Imports

Options
  • 24-09-2005 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭

hey, does anyone know anything about where it's best to buy a jap import or who i can talk to about importing one etc.?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Lots of dealers around the country selling them, check out carbuyers guide, carzone.ie and autotrader. Merlin car auctions sell them from time to time, usually on Wednesdays I think. You can buy them down the docks in Dublin, as is with no guarantees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭[P]*Deus_Alpha

Cheers Junkyard,

I'm lookin for a Toyota MR2 or even possibly a Supra, would these car auctions sell cars to this standard? Suppose i just have to keep my eye out on whats around....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

They tend to deal in sportier models these days as no-one wants import Corollas since the Celtic Tiger popped in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭alanlouthzzr

Check on line with Merlin car auctions, they have a list of cars coming for sale in forthcoming auctions.
    http://www.merlincarauctions.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=search

I past Great Island Motors in Cobh the other day and he had a black MRs on the forecourt is that the model your looking for or the older MR2?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 artful

Hello,

A few quick questions:
    1. Do Japanese imports require modifications when imported to Ireland i.e. to pass the NCT: do changes need to be made to
    the speedometer display (to show miles and km/h), do changes need made to the rear light clusters, are any other changes needed?
    2. Is it true that the NCT is only due on when the car is 4 yrs old (from date of registration in origin country)?
    3. If importing a new car Japan to Ireland, do you have to pay Duty (10%), VAT(21%) and VRT(30% car over 2000 CC) Ouch! Does this also apply to used cars?

Thanks anyone!!....
    Sorry, I'm a new user, so that's why I jumped on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

4. Are all Jap imports clocked ? , they all seem to have improbable low milage.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭alanlouthzzr

To answer a few of the questions:
    No changes need to be made to the speedo or the rear light clusters. These both apply in the U.K.
    The NCT is due on the cars 4th birthday, and every 2 years after that.
    Duty (VRT) has to be paid when registering any new or second-hand car, whether from Europe or Japan.
    You can work out the probable rate on www.revenue.ie.
    Are they all clocked? Who knows whether any car is clocked for sure? The car test is very strict in Japan, so the mileages are probably correct.
    I've had several Jap imports and wouldn't have too many issues about buying another one.
    Alan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The best way to check a Japanese import and the dealer supplying it is to ask for the Japanese Auction report on the car you're looking for.

Don't be put off by dealers saying they don't see one, they do. Don't be put off by them saying that you need to read Japanese to understand them, you don't. The report will tell you the milage for a start. While many Japanese cars have low mileage, not all do. It's obvious from the report what grade they are, 3.5 or above, 5 being best, 4 being a good generally straight car. Anything below that is accident damaged/repaired. Sadly there are too many cars that fall into the latter category on Irish dealer forecourts. Too many cars offered are too cheap for a good grade car. If you do look at one in a dealers, get an AA mechanical report(or equivalent) for safety. As with all things like this, buyer beware.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Re: low mileage, from what I hear the engines have high running times, i.e. stuck in traffic etc., but some are clocked. The Japs are big into modifications so I reckin the s***e has been driven out of any of the sportscars by the time they arrive over here, then its the dockers turn!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

In my own opinion jap cars are really reliable. We have a volkswagen and toyota. Volkwagen has been in to garage 12 times toyota 4 times. I dont know but the volkswagen is a lot newer than toyota.

Note how VW don't use the slogan " As reliable as a Volkswagen" anymore thats because the new ones are s***e I'm afraid. Jap. import cars are very reliable and they have loads of extras compared to the Irish equivilent. On the other hand the Irish spec. cars, Jap. or European, when supplied to the Irish market are cut to the bone as regards extras to keep the prices down its just the Irish taxes push the prices through the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

If you are going to buy an import would it not be better to get what you want direct rather than going to a dealer. Its a relatively simple process, or there are plently of companies that import to order rather than carry stock.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I agree with bp_me, bring it in yourself. It's a bit more long winded, but you save money, you get the car you want and you get some guarantee re mileage and condition. The car should also get a premium when you come to sell it on.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

Dont forget - when importing from Japan you have ;
    Car price + your auction buyers charge (your agent) (usually 400 pound stg)
    often there is a fee to get it to the dock ( 25000 yen =180 eu)
    Fee to put it on the ship (90000 yen = 650ish eu)
    fee to ship it (110000 yen = 800ish eu)
    10% Duty payable at the port on price of the car
    21% vat on top of all that
    Vrt on the car
    Customs clearance charge (200ish euro)
    It aint as cheap as it looks.
    You buy an mr2 turbo at auction for 300,000 yen = 2200eu (example)
    will become 4500 odd , then ya gotta pay vrt.
    Look into it thoroughly before you do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Without a doubt tho its still cheaper bringing a car in yourself,my advice would be to do as much research as possible on it.Another thing to watch out for is when the car actually arrives in say dublin,if possible try and be there when its being taken off the boat.

Ive seen many a car being stripped of parts in the docks aswell as having the arse driven out of them,whereas if your not there they'l try and say the parts must have been taken off in another country

eireal wrote:
    Ive seen many a car being stripped of parts in the docks aswell as having the arse driven out of them,whereas if your not there they'l try and say the parts must have been taken off in another country
    That part I didn't know. I suppose it stands to reason though. Have you actually seen this go on and have you any other advice for the newbie car importer(like me)? Thanks for the info eireal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Another good reason to get it off the docks as quickly as possible is that you are charged per day that you leave it there after the first 24 hours or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Most guys i know who are bringing cars in make sure there present when the cars are being taken off the ships,its only a case of ringing the shipping company and finding out when its due in.You'l also be able to make sure that some skobe isnt rallying your new car around - believe me it happens

Alot of the cars are also just left unlocked in the docks so make sure your own is locked up to avoid gearknobs gauges or even dump valves missing.Id even go to the extent of photgraping the car when it came in so when you go back to clear it you have proof of what was on the car

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

I was thinking of bringing in a Jap import. I am looking for a Corolla 1.6 GT 20 Valve, 92-97. Might just get one from carzone. (seems to be only place that has them)

There are none in England??? These cars are so rare, Jap import might be best way.

What sites or companies are useful. Can't see any in this thread.

Thanks,

Kev

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Do not resurrect old threads, joseph brand. Read the charter before you post again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement