Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imaginary manure

• 24-09-2005 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Having read some of the other threads I think I'm rightly in the imaginary manure and need someone to dig me out. Lured by the cheapie billboard ads (mea culpa, mea culpa) I recently signed up for an imaginary broadband account - don't laugh .... not yet !
    I signed up for their always-on 1 meg BB service together with monthly telephone rental plus all landline calls at a rate of €57.00 per month. All in not a bad deal.
    This morning my Eircom DSL stopped functioning. No big deal I thought, the service which I was moving from had switched off. Surely just a matter of re-configuring that cute little Netopia box with some imaginary settings and all should be fine .... I thought. Then I realised I had never actually received any configuration details - imagine that !
    After 3 calls to imaginary tech support and getting the same message that all their operators were busy each time, I decided to phone Sales and actually found someone to talk to - she was really nice (seemed lonely, possibly there by herself I suspect) but didn't have a clue what settings I need. She advised that tech support had gone home for the weekend and I would get no help from them till Monday.
    So after this sad imaginary experience I'm here to ask does anyone know any of the settings needed to connect to the imaginary service I'm signed up for.

At least the phone is still working - good steady 45kps - and I can talk to lonely sales girls - but not tech support. Help :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The settings on the modem that were there for your Eircom connection shouldn't need to be changed. The only exception would be your username and password. Did you even get them from Imagine?
    Is the DSL light on the modem on solid (ie not blinking or off)? If it's blinking or off then DSL may be switched off completely on your line awaiting the Imagine order to be completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Technopak

DSL sync is good - light glows constantly.

I think I need username, password, default gateway, DNS server IP, possibly ISP assigned IP, and God knows whatever else .. but no I didn't receive anything from Imagine, a bit dodgy really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

id assume the username would change to xxxxxx@imagine.ie

your ip will be dynamic so let their DCHP sort that out for you, same with DNS thats their end and default gateway of router or isp?, the router should be 192.168.1.1
    i thought imagine was timed BB..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Technopak wrote:
    I think I need username, password, default gateway, DNS server IP, possibly ISP assigned IP, and God knows whatever else
    Those details should be automatically picked by the modem (with the exception of the user/pass) when connection is properly setup at the other end and the correct user/pass is entered. I have used an Eircom Netopia modem with 3 BB providers (Eircom/UTV/BT) and never changed any settings other than the user/pass.
    Either way, until you get a username/password from Imagine your screwed so any other settings you may get wouldn't be much use :(
    They didn't ask you to choose them when you signed up by any chance (like BT do)?
    EDIT: Must type faster :D
    BTW the ip of the Netopia is 192.168.1.254
    Sparky, Imagine also do an always on product

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i could of swore imagine was timed as in 20hrs a month
    i could be wrong thou.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Technopak

Thanks for the info. Interesting that the Netopia box works with other providers - that could save some messing when I eventually get my user details. I don't recall the Sales people mentioning usernames/passwords but I did receive a letter from them confirming they would be taking on my service from 5th September. Without user info that was a bit useless.

Yes they do offer an always on connection @ €19.99 inclusive of VAT per month which compared with the same offering from Eircom which used to be €29.99 + VAT per month seemed to represent good value.

Looks like I must wait until Monday for the techie people there to come back to work. Maybe that's why Eircom are more expensive - weekend OT rates for techies must be costly :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

I recently set up an Imagine connection for a client (who wouldnt listen to me re picking a provider :( ).

When you first connect using their modem, you are brought to a webpage asking for username and password.

From this and watching the error pages popping up when a known adware site was viewed it looks like imagine utilise a web proxy on their end.

Their were no usernames or passwords to enter on the modem itself (using the LAN connection) so obviously there is some database of MAC addresses v. users on their end.

The username was xxxxx@imagine and password was a long alphanumeric combo.

John

Advertisement