Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vocal Style

• 24-09-2005 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

hey as some of you may know im in a metal band and were recording a demo in a while for the first time which songs that weve been writing for a while but never gigged..

before the recording i need to figure out a probably vocal style.. i dont knwo how can someone give a few pointers if it possible on finding the right style.. ive heard i can do a good tom araya...

so i dunno do i go for a voice like tom araya? i'd love to sound like the guy from opeth but i cant just ripoff someone elses vocal style and also dont just wanmt to sound like every singer in all these new "new wave of american metal" bands..

help moi pleeez

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

How's about just singing the way it comes naturally, and in a way that gives you the best range?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

sven man to be honest i dunno, i know damm well you can do tom arya style 99% perfect and its great an all cause you do sooooo much slayer but for your own stuff i wouldnt recomend it on one hand cause you want your own style but on the other its a big task to figure out and perfect a style of singing at short notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

i guess if we just spend a whole day of practice i can **** around with a load of different styles.. see how that works... although i dont see how i'll ever find an original style.. everythings been done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

croon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Just sing naturally, and whatever comes out best is your sound!

• Advertisement

John2 wrote:
    croon!
    que?

Crooning: what Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin do/did.

Hahahahaha, a metal band from tralee? I've seen it all now!!
    Norman Mc Cann "the guitarst"
    Instrument/band duty: Rythm/lead guitar
    Bands played in: Dead face
    Favourite bands: Slayer, Pantera, Metallica
    Musical heroes: Jeff Hanneman
    Hobbies: Music, Sport, Killing fags.
    First record bought: Issues
    Favourite record: Seasons in the abyss
    Band would most like to tour with: Slayer
    Person least like to be stuck in an elevator with: Any fag.
    Bands used to like but now hate: Metallica
    Bands used to hate but now like: Slayer

Wow, you guys sound so professional!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

John2 wrote:
    Crooning: what Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin do/did.
    They could be Chupacabaret.

Hahaha! Brilliant :D

• Advertisement

Pet wrote:
    Hahahahaha, a metal band from tralee? I've seen it all now!!

Wow, you guys sound so professional!
    ya eh... whats your problem, that person does not represent the opinion of the full band... thats the way he wants to live his life

Crucifix wrote:
    They could be Chupacabaret.
    haha nice.. we might do a swing album if we ever get signed and give you the credit for that one haha ;-)

Steoob wrote:
    ya eh... whats your problem, that person does not represent the opinion of the full band... thats the way he wants to live his life
    1) I know tralee well, and I'm sure you'll agree there isn't much of a live music scene there (unless you're into Daniel O'Donnell type music).

2)It's still on your website, which represents the band as a whole. You might wanna consider taking that part down...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I'd second that suggestion. The guy is clearly a tool, and therefore dragging you down with him, since he's making such comments on *your* website.

OT, but I'm really liking the vocals from Rise Against at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

I'd second that suggestion. The guy is clearly a tool, and therefore dragging you down with him, since he's making such comments on *your* website.

OT, but I'm really liking the vocals from Rise Against at the moment.

Yeah he's got quite a good voice, that Heaven Knows song is pretty damn good but tbh I find the rest of their songs a bit kinda sappy.

Pet wrote:
    1) I know tralee well, and I'm sure you'll agree there isn't much of a live music scene there (unless you're into Daniel O'Donnell type music)

There isn't much of a "scene" in Kerry in general but if there is a place that has the best scene it's Killarney. Most gigs happen in Killarney.

There isn't much of a "scene" in Kerry in general but if there is a place that has the best scene it's Killarney. Most gigs happen in Killarney.
    kilarney is sooo ****e atleast when a gig happes in tralee its real metal and not punk ****e... o thats right.. i went there

Steoob wrote:
    kilarney is sooo ****e atleast when a gig happes in tralee its real metal and not punk ****e... o thats right.. i went there

Ahh yeah that's right, I remember when (probably the best) killarney punk band got sorta booed off when they played in Tralee just because they'reo not some big heavy teen angsty metal band, the organisers also told them to stop playing because they played "Too Drunk To ****" ha classic! especially since there were lots of growly bands there with much more explicit songs.

Why is killarney ****e because just because the majority of bands are punk?
    I've only been to one gig in Tralee and twasn't that great.

Hmm. Killarney is okay. But you need to hit it at the right time of the year. Wintertime is like a ghost town, music-wise..

Pet wrote:
    Hmm. Killarney is okay. But you need to hit it at the right time of the year. Wintertime is like a ghost town, music-wise..

Yeah I guess so ...... well there's going to be a gig on in a week or two.

• Advertisement

Ahh yeah that's right, I remember when (probably the best) killarney punk band got sorta booed off when they played in Tralee just because they'reo not some big heavy teen angsty metal band, the organisers also told them to stop playing because they played "Too Drunk To ****" ha classic! especially since there were lots of growly bands there with much more explicit songs.

Why is killarney ****e because just because the majority of bands are punk?
    I've only been to one gig in Tralee and twasn't that great.
    who was playing.. do you remember?

As far as i can remember it was Kick in The Teeth.

As far as i can remember it was Kick in The Teeth.
    o jesus.. lets not talk about them...

Steoob wrote:
    o jesus.. lets not talk about them...

Yes, they are just too great for you to even begin to comprehend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Go for the Cal Morris of Discharge vocal style. It's bloody great, he sounds like an angry giant bellowing at government.

fish-head wrote:
    Go for the Cal Morris of Discharge vocal style. It's bloody great, he sounds like an angry giant bellowing at government.
    lstened to them.. theyre pretty cool actually they sound like slayer every now and again... not really the vocal style im lookin for tho a bit too punky for me...

Advertisement