Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Forum Bouncer idea...

Options
  • 24-09-2005 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭

The amount of requests for new forums, while showing a very healthy interest for boards, is starting to get a bit ridiculous. Well actually not so much the amound of them, but the quality of them.

Rarely is a reason given as to why forum x would be a good addition, and more often than not the poor OP is flamed to high heaven because of it, then becomes offended and is completely incapable of lucid posting thereafter.

My suggestion is that only one person should be allowed to start threads on the forum suggesting forum. That person being the forum suggestion Bouncer to all intents and purposes.

People with forum suggestions would have to PM the Bouncer with their suggestion and only if they provide a good account of the new forum (RE: reason, target audience, relative merit etc...) will the Bouncer start the thread. I hasten to add it's not the Bouncers job to accept or deny requests, merely to vet them for the pertinent information.

At this point everyone should be able to add their 2cents as usual, and it would cut down on the awful mess, and flaming that goes on in there atm.

Obviously this adds to beaurocratic overhead which is rarely good, and I'm also not sure if that sort of a setup on a board is possible (i.e. only one can start a thread, but anyone can reply).

I leave it with ye.

Baz_

New forum Bouncer? (please read thread first) 27 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    37% 10 votes
    Maybe
    51% 14 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    11% 3 votes
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Baz_

Don't forget to vote though, since I went to the trouble of adding the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Maybe have a system where threads have to be pre-approved as it were like Slydice.

An interesting idea, although I find it difficult to see how it would work (smoothly).

I like Grimloch's idea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

how will this improve the process of making new forums?

I think the forum board was set up to take stress off the admins when people kept pming them for forums to be created. And now you want some poor sucker to volunteer for this job?

To have countless muppets pming him to propose some stupid forum. I think it is easier to delete the stupid threads as they appear.

Well screw you all!

*ahem*

I mean, thanks for your input chaps, you all make some interesting points... :p

Kidding, I understand your point freddy, but the idea would be to cut out the hassle for the admins, i.e. they wouldn't have to read through all the bull**** requests to find the one or two decent ones.

I would imagine the smods could possibly be utilised as the Bouncer(s) more effectively than the admins...

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    I think it is easier to delete the stupid threads as they appear.
    I would concur, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Kidding, I understand your point freddy, but the idea would be to cut out the hassle for the admins, i.e. they wouldn't have to read through all the bull**** requests to find the one or two decent ones.

The idea i think though is that admins read the OP then look at how the poll went and if it is a clearly positive poll they then read it to make sure it aint a load of bull****, otherwise if the vote is a clear *nay* its rejected. alot of moderators and more *sensible* posters pass through the forum so in a sense, it is in theory possible for an admin to spot the one of two sensible ideas among a bullsh*t through our input in the polls.

of course the problem is, not many of them are polls and instead are a load of responses saying *yay or nay* maybe it would ber easier if only polls were allowed in the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Boards is too big, no more new forums, close the forums forum forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Gordon wrote:
    forum.

Grimlochs idea might work, but I don;t think anyone woould voluntarily subject themselves to BazH's idea. It also leads to the problem of who has the right to decide if a forum deserves creation, this "Forum Bouncer" has some pretty easy to abuse power.

Raphael wrote:
    BazH's idea.
    Now hold on little lady, BazH aint ever bin in here...

Easy to abuse power means it would have to be someone trustworthy with the power. Althought they could sneakily just delete the pm's from people who's ideas they didn't like, the original requester would always have the feedback forum to make the complaint.

It is merely an administrative task:
    -forum requester pms bouncer.
    -bouncer checks for prerequisites such as forum name, target, what is to be discussed there, public/private etc...
    -as long as all things are present then the bouncer would post a new thread so the idea could be discussed, regardless of the bouncers feelings on the forum.
    -if prerequisites are not met, bouncer replies to requester and tells him/her why he is not going to create a new forum request thread.
    -bouncer goes back to sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I think that a forum bounce would be a great idea and i think that i am suited the job, i'd love to give something back to boards i have over 700 high quality intelligent and fair unbiased posts and i think i am up for the task. I would never abuse any privileges i'd get and would be totally commited to fairness and the likes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Fair and unbiased? Give me a break.

You're inches away from a ban on GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Baz_ wrote:
    Now hold on little lady, BazH aint ever bin in here...

Easy to abuse power means it would have to be someone trustworthy with the power. Althought they could sneakily just delete the pm's from people who's ideas they didn't like, the original requester would always have the feedback forum to make the complaint.

It is merely an administrative task:
    -forum requester pms bouncer.
    -bouncer checks for prerequisites such as forum name, target, what is to be discussed there, public/private etc...
    -as long as all things are present then the bouncer would post a new thread so the idea could be discussed, regardless of the bouncers feelings on the forum.
    -if prerequisites are not met, bouncer replies to requester and tells him/her why he is not going to create a new forum request thread.
    -bouncer goes back to sleep.
    Wow, I need to pay attention when I post... >.<

Hadn't realised you just meant that the forum bouncer would filter format, thought they would be able to trim out the muppety forum ideas, which comes down to opinion.

netwhizkid wrote:
    Touch of death....

Thank god I had cooled off on this idea because anything you agree with is bound by holy oath never to be implemented...

Crazy bastard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

netwhizkid wrote:
    i think that i am suited the job
    I literally rolled on the floor laughing. I did.
    Gordon wrote:
    Possibly the best idea yet. Let things calm down, and hopefully when it reappears the "I want a personal forum based on a stupid idea" frenzy will have gone away.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

netwhizkid wrote:
    I think that a forum bounce would be a great idea and i think that i am suited the job, i'd love to give something back to boards i have over 700 high quality intelligent and fair unbiased posts and i think i am up for the task. I would never abuse any privileges i'd get and would be totally commited to fairness and the likes
    rofl.

netwhizkid for admin.

Food & Liquid sustenance....
    Where would we be without them?

100209-food-and-drink-P2_07.jpg

Advertisement