Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

car show debate

• 25-09-2005 2:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭

This is something that I haven't seen mentioned here.
    Is it just me or does any body else think car shows should be
    free for participant's and only the public charged in,eg(The Killbeggan show or Arklow) so that more people
    would go to more shows this in turn would increase the size and quality of the Irish shows.As there many nice classics owned by non club members that would come along I'm sure if the didn't have to pay E20 to park and E30 for petrol to get there.
    After the cars are the show and are an expensive enough just keeping them show able and running.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭junkyard

You don't have to pay to enter any shows down south as far as I know. I've been to a few over the years and all I've been asked for is proof of insurance.
    I've paid to enter classic car runs but generally that goes to cover costs of maps and starters prize which is fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭mustang68

I agree, without us there would be no show. The Kilbeggen show was free in and they thanked us for going (we make the day), I've driven to some shows spending silly money on fuel and when you get to the gate..."Thats 10 euro for the car and we'll let your passenger in for free".

I've talked to a few people at kilbeggen about this and all agreeded, shows should be free for exhibitors, some I talked to refused to pay into shows just driving past the man with the bag.

Even if they are charity shows, then there should be a bucket or whatever that you can throw in what you want.

my .02c

If anything they should go looking for sponsorship locally and give out prizes to the entrants to encourage more people to turn up to their shows. You've got to remember if the're no cars the're's no show!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I agree - I brought my Gt 1300 Junior up to the Citywest sale & car show in the spring and the car started giving trouble at Naas. As this was a bank holiday Sunday it cost me a fortune to get a tow truck out and have it stored until I could come back to collect it.
    I was charged €50 entry fee for a show I never got to - but in fairness to the organisers they refunded my €50 when I arrived there (in a taxi :rolleyes:)

Still €50 is pretty steep considering that in my opinion very few classics were actually sold there.
    It was only a day out with the kids for most who were only there to look. IMO wives / girlfriends should be banned from these shows. :cool:

Re: wives and girlfriends attending car shows etc., you hit the nail on the head Alfasudcrazy. I don't know how many times I lost the sale of a classic car over them "what do you want that that for? I don't like the colour etc., etc., I'd bet they wouldn't like it if we went shopping with them and started bitching about every thing they wanted to buy. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭69 mustang

Those car sale shows are a different matter E50 to show your car then a fiver to go look at them in a car park.
    All I can say that's bloody good marketing 30 cars=1500 then E5xwhat ever.
    As a days work goes that good going if you can get it.But that's up to the seller on the day if E50 is a good investment? I think I'd use other methods.
    That's a bit like the RDS so called car show CAR SHOW, pay for parking then pay in to look at cars taken from your local dealers garage eg the out dated IZUZU TROOPER panel van, as they try to sell you them. If that was to catch on your local AUTO FACTORS will start charging you in {THATS 5 EUROS ADDMISSION and 1 EURO FOR THE BULB}.
    It must be an 01 area thing.
    BY the way while were on the matter of rip offs CPL in Maynooth is much cheaper than Halfords if your out that way, and Mer wax is only 15euro a large bottle in ROCHES STORES.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Terenure was €15 to bring your car onto the field, including you and one other. Spectators paid €10 per head entrance. For me this encouraged people to show their cars instead of just attending.

I'm not really a fan of static shows - most of the rallys I go to have a cover charge depending on the level of organisation & facilities involved. The last Blessington one had 84 cars, bugger all spectators and the rental of Rossborough house and a conference room in a hotel in Kildare. Not to mention finishers prizes, distribution of invites, tea and sandwiches, etc. It was €20 very well spent. Any surplus (unlikely) goes into the club coffers.

Before you begrudge paying an entrance fee try organising one of these things. It takes a helluva lot of effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I agree DS20, the organisers of these shows do trojan work - fair play to all involved!

However, I don't agree with classic car owners having to pay to show their cars - in fact I was a little shocked to see an owner hand over his tenner at Trim Car Show a few years ago (the first time I had heard of pay-to-enter-your-car charges) !! :eek:

Only spectators should pay !

Don't get me wrong I under stand how much can go into a show.I don't begruge any body but were only talking of the static shows, the other types need maps and stages and when catering is involved the money can sure rise.
    Terenure is a very good show and day out and wouldn't miss it. but still the 2 of the best static shows are free for cars that's KIllbeggen and the all American show in Killbeggen.

I think that for the static shows we should take a bit of a stand, I don't mind putting money into the bucket if you get me, but charging the attraction on the way in is a bit...irish.

I know a lot of work goes into the shows, but we're the ones who, buy the cars, spend time/money/blood getting and keeping them running and pay for fuel, ins etc., and then have to pay to exhibit them.

( I know a lot of events are for charity and lots of work goes into them, but if its charity, then a donation at your discretion is in order)

• Advertisement

mustang68 wrote:
    I think that for the static shows we should take a bit of a stand, I don't mind putting money into the bucket if you get me, but charging the attraction on the way in is a bit...irish.
    Why not organise a free one yourself as an alternative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Eric318

Thats an excellent idea. A classic cars get together: lets drive the cars out and meet up. No need for a formal car show is there? Just turn up.

In the south of France where I come from, every first Sunday of the month Classic British cars congregate in Cannes. It rarely is a big event but a good place to meet up, catch up, talk bolts and nuts, send the wives shopping and have a meal.

London of course has the Ace Café, every Tuesday evening: this is great!

These things are a catch 22 situation: you need abundance to create interest and vice versa. Often it takes a couple of regulars to get the thing started and then the word goes around...

For a start a car event not run by a club just wouldn't get the support.
    Also showing my car to the wandering public IE" excuse me would you mind asking your child to stop pulling at the badges" is not why I go. Its to look at other cars and talk about mine and there's or see if I can advise or be advised.
    I do agree that spectators should pay in to cover land charges if any,
    as the totally free ones will involve dogs kids on bikes etc which can be a classic car owners nightmare scratch scrape!
    But a city rolling show meeting say at the Phoenix Park would be a good day out the odd weekend and that would be free. It would be even better if it clashed with an over charging pay show.

Why not organise a free one yourself as an alternative?

Thats a good idea, I've been on a few informal runs around Dublin where we met up for a while, chatted about the cars, looked under the hood and then went for a spin. It was very enjoyable and was a welcome break from the standard questions. (You all know the ones, how many gallons per mile etc., actually thats a subject in itself...I'm going to start a new thread on that question).

I'd be happy to meet up for something like the park, and if some public come along, then lucky for them. And we can exchange ideas and see how other ZV'rs do it.

Dosen't someone here have a classic cars website on boards.ie? Might stick something up there.

We should do another boards.ie run.

We should do another boards.ie run.

Spot on, looks like the spawell (?), seemed to be a good turnout too and a great time to chat to others.

Maybe the wrong time of year for it at the mo for gathering a large group,
    for crawling under cars in a car park.But if the numbers are there for it gift.
    We would probably have to set a thread for people to put there mark on a list for who was going to turn up to show a group big enough to call a gathering. First good day in march maybe?

One more point I also think prizes are unnecessary as we should be there to work to help each other not to compete, as we all have our favorite in mind or in hand.
    Remember the beholders eye beauty thing saying.
    Instead of here's a prize for having more money than the other people at the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

nobody is forced to bring there cars to any shows for starters,i dont mind paying a small fee at the gate myself,if the show is run well. :o.thats a lie :p great point there mustang 69 :confused:

69 mustang wrote:
    First good day in march maybe?
    Ah come on! They're not soluble, you know! ;-)

Why not the second weekend in November, in the Phoenix Park? I was going to suggest Johnny Fox's again but I remember the Corvette didn't like the narrow crap-surfaced roads.

• Advertisement

I'm up for it just guessed many wouldn't be

November (or even October) in Phoenix Park sounds great to me. I should have at least the Jag on Irish roads then.

The flat that we are about to move in has a car park in front and there already is a beautiful red MGB roadster parked on it: that will be 3 permanent residing classics there then.

Malahide has a great free car park right on the sea side, on the Portmanork side... looks like a great place for a meet too (I dont know what Phoenix Park has to offer, sorry to be a novice).

Malahide's good for me too - it's a nicer setting than the Park.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm definitely game (except not for the 2nd weekend in Nov).

End of Oct would be great.

I'm unreliable though (unlike my car, bless...) so whatever date suits others. :D

Most weekends are good for me usually go out for a Sunday run anyway.
    Suggested the park as it was pretty much central for most people in the Dublin area and no matter whats on we would always find a spot to stop at.
    Also also far enough away from populated areas and traffic. {Mind you i hear the M50s a good spot to park from about 430pm till 7pm on week days}

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I've only recently got myself a Mustang and would love the chance to meet up occasionally with other classic owners. Unfortunatly work commitments on Thursday evenings stop me going to Kilbeggan and I dont know of any local to dublin clubs. Count me in if the meetup is being organised.

"Phoenix" goes well with the idea of restoring classic cars... born again from their ashes :)

My ladies wont be in Dublin before the 20th of October at best :( but if anything happens before then, I will turn up anyway.

Cheers

Well dubtom it doesn't make any odds if your in a club or not as there main function is mostly to set up events,and often you can end up in a club with internal rifts between members and rifts with other clubs {not just car clubs} to which we've been sharing our opinions about,{and there's another one} on this thread {events that is}.
    By the sounds of it we should be gathering a good bunch of classic enthusiasts.
    Mind you I have heard only good about the club in Killbeggan, also they run the two of the biggest shows in the area which is free for those willing to bring the classic along for the show.
    What type of tang is it.

reworded with better English as to not offend with crossed wires {compare to quote below} If it still offends what can you do.

69 mustang wrote:
    Well dubtom it doesnt make any odds if your in a club or not as all they really do is set up events cause internal rifts between members and rifts with other clubs {not just car clubs} to which we've been sharing our opinions,{and there's another one} on this thread.
    Mind you I have heard only good about the club in Killbeggan, also they run the two of the biggest shows in the area which is free for those willing to bring the classic along for the show.
    What type of tang is it.
    in ur words,clubs are a waste of time,and u only get a trophey if ur loaded.i dont know what clubs ur in but that is a very stupid statement to make, :confused:

• Advertisement

dubtom wrote:
    I dont know of any local to dublin clubs.
    Blessington car club is the best club on the east cost, IMHO. Good mix of cars and people, regular outings and well organised. Last rally of the year was a couple of sundays ago.

Photos here

A yea bad day at work.
    Wasn't just aiming that at car related stuff.
    But have found with past hobbies that politics can take over and destroy good intentions and hard work for a lot of sports or hobbies.
    Rather than why your meant to be there and in the classics case,
    to have fun with people with similar interests and help each other out not compete.
    Also on your other point when I said that about the trophies, in my case my car is what you would call expensive as I've put a lot of time and money into it also, but for the guy that buys his car off the shelf to compete against someone starting with rough classic who puts a lot of hard work into it on a tight budget I think its unfair for them.

anyway which mustang is urs,one of my classics is the 69 camaro,u should know it :confused: theres a lot of mustangs around but id say i know urs :rolleyes:

Yea there are a good few of them about alright but a lot of people seem to go
    for the pre 69 ones, not so many sportsroof 69s about.
    I at first was going to go for a 68 but changed my mind after i looked at a few 69s. I've seen many nice classics on the roads but not go to shows which was why I thought a change to the system was needed to get more classic to admire.
    Mines blue with 2 white strips on the side its on this site in the 69sportsroof part. 2pics

www.chien.com/mustang

sorry not very good with computers it was mustang not mustangs should work now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

mustang68 wrote:
    ....we can exchange ideas and see how other ZV'rs do it.

" ZV'rs' " ?......first time I have read that - You might have coined a new Irish phrase there mustang68 !!

Is it the one in the underground garage?

• Advertisement

junkyard wrote:
    Is it the one in the underground garage?

Yes also the interior photo on the left.
    Its a good site, if you like mustangs

Wow, looks like new, did you import it? is it restored?

A friend of mine owns a convertible version of your model, the engine sounds incredible!

Thanks! No the inside was black and recked it came painted but needed a lot of finishing also the engine had to be dismantled and improved as to did the manual 4speed box, carb, suspension and some wire's tidied.
    Bought it from an importer in Manchester. Was a bit dooped for example MOT'ed and taxed they said all was fine with it and they had to remove the alarm as it was gone mad and discharging the battery.I got it to Ireland to find the NEW battery flat and that the alternator looked like it hadn't worked in years not even repairable. It also only did about 8mpg did a similar one this year and now it's doing 20mpg {motorway}.
    But love it now.

I think it helps to know a bit about them and you certainly learn a lot about them when you do restore them. Classic cars are by far the most rewarding hobby I know of. I can't get my head around what guys spend on modifying Honda Civics and Toyota Starlets and the like when they could restore a classic and have it for ever.

Yep do think the same my self.
    And now my Uncle in the UK is thinking the same way he's retired and now has 2land rovers s IIa's, 86 TransAM a 73 scimitar v6,a 70 4 door Morris minor
    and a 65 scimitar coupe he's stripping.

O on the mustang bit I spotted the charging thing the first time I was over at it, and the day I came for it he said it was fixed, and I'd a boat to catch so I belived him.

• Advertisement

A fair bit of work ahead of him. The big problem with a large collection, I'm always looking for dry storage, then you find it and think now I have more room that equals more cars, its a catch twenty two. So far I have four hearses, one fire engine, two limos and eleven cars..... I really have it bad!

The Reliant will make a nice car, I had a 1971 coupe a few years ago and I regret selling it.

I was thinking of buying the cream scimitar estate off him its like new.
    AS he too is running out of space as he also has a cara van a 5yr old and a 7yr old jag's and an mx5 uk model.

Oy, 69 Mustang, why is your site in French? I am French, so just wondering... :)

Sorry eric318 its not my site its run by a French guy,It's very good site though.
    Am not very good at explaining stuff as I'm a one finger typist only got this computer about 3 months ago. It takes me ages to say the smallest of things. Getting better at it!

69 mustang wrote:
    Well dubtom it doesn't make any odds if your in a club or not as there main function is mostly to set up events,and often you can end up in a club with internal rifts between members and rifts with other clubs {not just car clubs} to which we've been sharing our opinions about,{and there's another one} on this thread {events that is}.
    What type of tang is it.

reworded with better English as to not offend with crossed wires {compare to quote below} If it still offends what can you do.
    Sorry about the delay getting back, It's a 72' coupe, 69.Bog standard but in fairly nice condition. I had it checked out by peter in accelorator in cherryorchard, he has a 66 gt350 clone and he gave it the thumbs up.

No bother> Is that a red 72? Think I've seen the 66 one about as I work out that way, people keep asking" was it me that passed them " as they saw a Blue mustang> So I have to go all nerdy and get them to describe it so I'll know what year it was and reply with." well if it has the small tail lights and the flat boot lid that could be a 65/66" and they reply with"I don't know or care"and back away slowly.One things for sure if they think your going to boar them they wont ask again.

One other thing I know this thread started out about shows that charge to display.Then spun off into us Dublin guys not having a city group where we could meet other {68quote} ZV'rs, as dubtom pointed out. And that many classics are floating about the Dublin area unshown.
    So do you think we can get something going, apart from the park idea.
    I was also thinking but this might not be practical. Now with the cold and wet days about us apart from just driving Its also good to compare and talk so,
    here's the bit knock if you think its not going to work If its cold and wet how about a week night "boards meet" in say an indoor car park St Stephens Green/RCG is about 5euros after 6 for the night max, they get their money we get a lit dry meet spot. Once know one acts the boy racer I'm sure it would pass with out hassle.goood or bad?

I think its a great idea I'd go only I'm in Cork. :(

That's a good idea. I like the idea of getting together with other classic owners, not only to see their cars, but to pick their brains about all the basic stuff. Even though my car is going well now it won't always be and i'm sure that their is a wealth of info out their that you just don't get on the web.For example should I be using special oil or plugs or what wax do you use. I could hang the sever this board runs on with all the questions I have.So just name the day for a meet and I'll be there.
    Oh, yes it is the red one.

Thanks junkyard and dubtom.
    If it were to catch on junkyard and you happened to be passing though you would be more than welcome to drop in.
    Also dubtom with that car of yours it looks like you found the right wax already is that original condition.
    I've found that classics are an endless quest for improvements.

• Advertisement
Advertisement