Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pine Timber Windows_ View on Manufacture/Stains

Options
  • 25-09-2005 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hello,

I am enquiring if any one has fitted timber windows.(Pine?) Has anyone dealt with Sorpetaler/Sweedex/Nordan etc. Any info woul be grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

My mate just fitted Sorpetaler windows in the Oak stain.
    Lovely looking tilt and turn with very good u-value

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Sorpetaler windows specification is very impressive. Had an opportunity to look at their spec recently. I was very impressed.

Of course being of German manufacture, their quality is not surprising. The German approach to quality, design, and logistical problem solving across the board, leaves nothing to chance. Its a pity we could not instill a similar attitude to manufactured joinery in Ireland.

Their construction is laminated sections, for strength and stability. And they have every possible avenue of draft / water exclusion covered in their design.
    You will not find an Irish manufacturer to achieve the same level of quality.
    Well not yet...take note Rookad. ;);)

kadman :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I agree fully.
    The main problem that I see with windows is that the window opes and the window frame itself are not designed with tight enough tolerances. ie there is at least 2cm clearance between the frame and the window ope. this allows for cold bridging if the window is not sealed well enough.
    anyway back On topic the system that Sorpetaler use to hold the glass unit in place looks like a wooden version of the "snap strip" that Upvc windows use, with coloured silicone to seal it.
    there are no visible nail or screw holes anywhere in the window, a fact remarked upon by a roofer "theres no nail?"
    I believe the U-value to be 1.1

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Wigster

Charles J

I was told that there was no Oak Stain in these windows. I agree that their quality is very good. Their website has some very impressive colours. I have seen their larch window in a pine stain but found it too dark. Who was you friend dealing with?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Wigster

CJ

Would it be possible to contact your mate. I have to make a decision on windows soon as there is a long lead time.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement