Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who deserves a statue in Limerick City

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

possibly because there are more people living in Limerick at the moment with the surname David than there are with the surname De Valera...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The family of Michael Hogan, the Bard of Thomond, are paying to have statute of him erected near King John's Castle. It's deserved, Drunken Thady is brillaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Actually no one mentioned it, but what about JP MacManus ???

Hell, he could fund it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Actually no one mentioned it, but what about JP MacManus ???

Hell, he could fund it :)

Only if he could fund the cleaning operations...
    It'd be vandalised within minutes:)

Why do you think that? He's done loads for Limerick

• Advertisement

For every 1 person that speaks well of the man, I'd reckon there's 5 who speak ill of him..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

well personally I think the man who really deserves a statue in Limerick is Michael Myers, y'know to keep up the cities rep. ;)

Actually, how about a statue for Willy O'Dea?
    *G*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_O%27Dea

What has he actually done wrong (actual question not being bitchy... i just dont know too much about him)! The only thing i know of is tax evasion, but seeing as he gives money to Limerick and raises money and gets all things started here. Thats a easy one to forgive!

I think Willie O Dea may get a statue, but not yet! Personally, I'd want to see him do more for Limerick/Ireland ... he needs more time before we can just give him a statue!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Marts wrote:
    well personally I think the man who really deserves a statue in Limerick is Michael Myers, y'know to keep up the cities rep. ;)

we're not worthy
    we're not worthy

• Advertisement

Michael Myres??? As in Mike Myres??? Or some Limerick guy??

He's just an out-n-out profiteering scumbag. Too much stuff for me to list with sufficient detail; so i'll just leave this as opinion.. Cynically, I'd have to say that the only reason that he gives _any_ money is A) for tax relief and B) because it'll make him money in the end..

Agreed, but so far Willy O'Dea has more right to a statue than the majority of proposals in this thread to date - he was born a Limerickman, and represents Limerick... He's already easily one of the most noteworthy Limerick people..

Michael Myres??? As in Mike Myres??? Or some Limerick guy??
    as in h1lookdn.jpg Michael Myers

Marts wrote:
    as in h1lookdn.jpg Michael Myers

I feel a charter update coming on :(

I feel a charter update coming on :(
    of what?
    "no pictures of mass murderers"

Marts wrote:
    of what?
    "no pictures of mass murderers"

I was thinking of banning people who post references to "Stab City" in threads unrelated to discussing crime in limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

JP McManus is a legend. When a community centre was closing down because the clowns in Government can't run a bath, let alone a country, JP paid for it to stay open. He promotes education by way of his scholarships for students in Sexton Street, he promotes sport by funding Limerick GAA (or who did you think "Sporting Limerick" are?). He raises both funds and Limerick's profile by the JP McManus pro-am. He is reputedly behind several of the large developments in Limerick. The good he does cannot be dismissed easily. But please feel free to back up your comments.

Wille O'Dea is a local politician who has yet to deliever any thing of note to Limerick on a national scale, Jesus even Noonan got the Regional Hospital re-developed, what big project has Willie delievered?

Yeah, I think Nooan as taosheach (uh, shudder) would have made Limerick soo much better!
    Politically wise, Jim Kemmy, Eamon DeVelera, the founder of Fianna Fail or Des O Malley, the founder of the PD's, they've done alot for Limerick in that field

Advertisement