Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lovely jacket,Not so lovely pockets

• 25-09-2005 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a lovely new jacket to-day. It's a lovely denim style but light brown corduroy with woolen collar.Its absolutely lovely Thing is the pockets are stitched up!

What on earth is that all about? It's the pockets that you put your hands in and they only seem stiched for an inch and a half in the middle. there are pockets there but you cant get at them. Is this normal? What do I do, just rip out the stiching?

Anyone experienced this before and if so whats it all about?
    Pighead is confused so hes going to use the following smiley(its my favourite one by far) :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

You sir are corect. WTF is the deal with these ridiculous, ornamental pockets?

I had a poke around one once and the pockets weren't there even if you were to rip the stitching. Utterly despicable.

Really and truly, it is baffling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Sew in your own ones? Buy a jacket with real pockets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Isn't it just,i'm livid. :mad:
    Thanks for clearing that up for me Grimloch,was going to rip the stitching but thanks to you and boards.ie i now realise this would be an exercise in futility.Pighead advises all boardsters to CHECK FOR POCKETS when buying clothes in future.Yet another example of a RIP OFF REPUBLIC.

LadyLotts wrote:
    Sew in your own ones? Buy a jacket with real pockets?
    Sew in my own?My names Pighead not Guccihead,if i pay 79.99 for a lovely jacket i expect at least one pocket to be available for use.Surely i'm not asking too much here LadyLotts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Yeah you do actually rip out the stitching. Its only temporary to hold the shape of the garment when its being pressed at the factory and whilst in transit. Just be careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

It depends. Some of them are pockets that are just sewn closed, others are only decorative. If you have the bit of fabric inside the jacket that would have been the pocket then rip 'em open, otherwise leave them as they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Hagar wrote:
    Yeah you do actually rip out the stitching. Its only temporary to hold the shape of the garment when its being pressed at the factory and whilst in transit. Just be careful.

he's right. that happens on a lot of jackets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Lots of pockets come sewn up to prevent stuff getting inside during transit and to stop people leaving "presents" while in shops. Just cut them open, they're only stitched shut with a light tack or running stitch. The same thing often happens with pleats on skirts or vents in jackets, they often come sewn shut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

they are sewed shut so little brats dont fill the pockets with nasties when the are on display in a shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

You learn something new every day, the ones I've seen were definately sporting ornamental pockets.

Yet another thing to look out for in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

My daddy was a fashion designer - the reason why they sewed up the the pockets was so that they made the outfit look as streamlined and fresh as possible (ie stay in shape) - I used to always say to him that it was annoying.

CathyMoran wrote:
    My daddy was a fashion designer - the reason why they sewed up the the pockets was so that they made the outfit look as streamlined and fresh as possible (ie stay in shape) - I used to always say to him that it was annoying.
    You go girl.
    You certainly shouldnt have to shell out 70-80+euro of your hard-earned money for trousers or skirts, that have FAKE POCKETS! What kind of spanner came up with that idea anyway? "Oh, we can just fake the look and save the fabric; women don't need pockets because they always have purses. Women carry purses because their clothes don't have decent pockets. Give me real pockets, or give me an honest garment that doesn't have pockets at all and doesn't pretend that it does.
    We're right Cathy aren't we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Go back with jacket + reciept, and yell up a stink: "me fooking pockets are sealed!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

yeah check the lining inside first and see if theres an actual pocket I got a jacket that had the pocket sewn and whaen i ripped it there was pocjkets - v v odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

just gently rip the stitches, happened me too, deadly bright pink blazer and the feckin pockets are stitched! Just start pickin at the threads and they'll come lose soon enough.

Advertisement