Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100Mbit broadband in London by early 2007

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

wow!

I wonder what we'll have in 2007?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

100mbit Fibre is in the pipeline here too , some of the high value apartment tower blocks in Dublins docklands will come with 100mbits built in .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

i wouldnt be suprises if my area still didnt have broadband in 2007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

CyberGhost wrote:
    wow!

Probably the same as we have now, with only Dublin, Cork & Galway being served with bigger and better products whilst the rest of us in other parts of Ireland contend with the "Sit and swivel" response Eircom give us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

CyberGhost wrote:
    wow!

Realistically 4 meg for those who have broadband... for those who dont.. 56k modem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Laguna wrote:
    Probably the same as we have now, with only Dublin, Cork & Galway being served with bigger and better products whilst the rest of us in other parts of Ireland contend with the "Sit and swivel" response Eircom give us.
    not to go off topic but limerick has way better broadband services than Galway
    add it to your list

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

1huge1 wrote:
    i wouldnt be suprises if my area still didnt have broadband in 2007

lol same

Laguna wrote:
    only Dublin, Cork & Galway being served with bigger and better products whilst the rest of us in other parts of Ireland contend with the "Sit and swivel" response Eircom give us.
    Add Waterford Dundalk and Limerick , otherwise you are correct .

Current Eircom Geographic coverage is about 12% , it will probably double by 2007 .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I expect eircom to have 2mb/128k homestarter and 4mb/256k homeplus offerings by 2007 and upto 8mb/512k for business users while the rest of the world is well beyond 10mb minimum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

If you want this sort of thing you have to look outside the monopoly telephone provider. The likes of Eircom (+resellers) will never be interested for obvious reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

1huge1 wrote:
    not to go off topic but limerick has way better broadband services than Galway
    add it to your list

how?? :confused:

Its a big big secret but of course they do :)

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Its a big big secret but of course they do :)
    Come on - cough up!!! Or are ye bluffing? :eek:

Limerick is ahead of Galway in all things including the evolution of our species and bypasses but how they do it is a secret that I may not divulge here (where the google cache could get it ) .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

CyberGhost wrote:
    wow!

Actually the technology that Telewest is using, DOCSIS 3, is also supposedly being trialed by NTL Ireland, So there is no technical reason why Ireland couldn't get this sort of speed.

Realisticaly I expect NTL will be offering 10m - 24m in line with UGC's other operations throughtout Europe.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Limerick is ahead of Galway in all things including the evolution of our species and bypasses but how they do it is a secret that I may not divulge here (where the google cache could get it ) .

So it's complete BS then??!! :D:D:D:D

Unless you can better 3 Megs in Galway via a domestic product then you're on a loser!! I know there are some WANs giving 10 Megs or so, but a lot of stuff (p2p, etc) is locked out..........so it's only a half-broadband. :eek:

But I thought Limerick was way more than 3Mbit domestic and that ye had passed out Dungarvan Co. Waterford ( 9Mbits) by now . Galway has 3Mbit domestic too..........ooooooooooopps same as Limerick then , well I never :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Bartonprince

because we have stupid paddy's runnig the country.

Most expensive for shopping, for insurance, slowest econimical growth ie broadband and electronics etc...

We live in a backward society..

with 200 metres of you, you will find tiny bungalows built 200 years ago that still have coal fires in them...

stupid country

Sponge Bob wrote:
    But I thought Limerick was way more than 3Mbit domestic and that ye had passed out Dungarvan Co. Waterford ( 9Mbits) by now . Galway has 3Mbit domestic too..........ooooooooooopps same as Limerick then , well I never :(

What I said was "Unless you can better 3 Megs in Galway via a domestic product then you're on a loser!! ". What thbat actually means is that unless (in Limerick) you have a product that's actually faster than the three megs on offer in Galway than you're talking BS.

You've now admitted that the fastest on offer in Limerick IS three megs. Case closed! :D

because we have stupid paddy's runnig the country.

Most expensive for shopping, for insurance, slowest econimical growth ie broadband and electronics etc...

We live in a backward society..

with 200 metres of you, you will find tiny bungalows built 200 years ago that still have coal fires in them...

stupid country

I'm presuming you're not Irish. No self-respecting Irish person would call his fellow countrymen 'stupid paddies'). Yes we may be lagging a bit behind in terms of BB etc, but I wouldn't change our quality of life for that on offer in other, NEARBY, countries. :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

What I said was "Unless you can better 3 Megs in Galway via a domestic product then you're on a loser!! ". What thbat actually means is that unless (in Limerick) you have a product that's actually faster than the three megs on offer in Galway than you're talking BS.

You've now admitted that the fastest on offer in Limerick IS three megs. Case closed! :D

Ah no you can get 4mbit in Limerick.

ricey wrote:

From who? And at what cost? Is it a WAN? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

The way I see it is, BB in Ireland was launched as a 'roll it out any auld way' and those who are not in enabled areas 'tough'.

The infrastructure should have been upgraded first and then the roll out commenced, rather the than the other way round. A bit like putting the cart in front of the horse!

Anyone providing BB, especially the phone providers are just milking it for what they can, for as long as they can until better technology comes on stream. The prices at which they 'buy' their BB at, compared to the price the consumer pays, the % mark up is huge depending on the users per pipe. 48:1 is a joke on a 1Mb line...21kbps if everyone is active and your upload goes down to nada nada!!!

I can see areas that are not BB enabled yet, being brought upto todays standard in the near future and areas that are at todays standard being brought to a higher level of service. So what ever way you look at it, some poor sods are going to be left behind in the BB race instead of having all areas on a par with each other.

my .02 worth

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

humaxf1 wrote:
    The way I see it is, BB in Ireland was launched as a 'roll it out any auld way' and those who are not in enabled areas 'tough'.

The infrastructure should have been upgraded first and then the roll out commenced, rather the than the other way round. A bit like putting the cart in front of the horse!

I have to disagree with you here. Eircom rolled out BB in exactly the same way that every other company in the world did (with perhaps the exception of YahooBB in Japan).

If we had to wait for them to upgrade the network then we would all probably be waiting until about 2012 to get BB (I'm not joking about that date either).

The only complaint we have is that Eircom started for later then the rest of Europe and are going slower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Bartonprince

I am irish, but look at who we have looking after the internet side of things.

They don't seem to realise that the internet is a VERY good way to make money for areas that are enabled. Business can double it's income by offering online services.

A bunch of old men looking after the rollout of internet, charging people extorionate prices for ****e ratios...

We're about 5 years behind the UK.

And i don't wanna hear the crap about "there is less people in the country so it' harder to upgrade areas"

Look at sweden... not even half the amount of people there, but they're all on a minimum of about 6MB connections, all the way up to T3's...

Some people in Sweden have the same internet connections as the company i world for sharing between about 200 people!.

When you rent or buy a house in swedent etc, it's actually on the contract what internet connection is in the place.

Thats how it should be done.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ricey wrote:

You can get 9MB in Dungarven in Waterford so narr :D
    :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

ricey wrote:

actually you can get 6mb broadband from digiweb in Limerick

Airblazer wrote:
    actually you can get 6mb broadband from digiweb in Limerick

What'sthe cost? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭dam099

Look at sweden... not even half the amount of people there, but they're all on a minimum of about 6MB connections, all the way up to T3's...

Actually Sweden has over twice the population of Ireland, but yes they are better organised in the BB area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Fawkes

dam099 wrote:
    Actually Sweden has over twice the population of Ireland, but yes they are better organised in the BB area.

Not to mention the fact that taxes there are close to 50%.

Advertisement