Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Franking Machines

Options
  • 25-09-2005 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭

I've noticed, from my incoming post, that many SMEs are no longer using franking machines (also known as meters), and have switched to 48c stamps in the last few months.

Have An Post imposed some jump through hoops rules or unattractive administration fee or something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

I think a franking machine always works out more expensive than a 48c stamp. An Post try and sell them to companies as being "More professional" than a stamp. I think most companies would prefer to pay less for postage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They are a pain in the arse to top up and the rules an post have make them inpractible for any small business.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ck1

I got a franking machine in a couple of years ago with Pitney Bowes,worst mistake I ever made. Whilst yes they do look more professional, the costs are way over the top, not on the cost of postage but it is the service cost of the machine and the cost of the ribbons. Ribbons are about €50 inc VAT. Service I think is in the region of €200 per year plus vat and the maching cost us I think originally €200 plus vat. OK if you are a large company but we are not that big and also a large amount of our post is free post (going to the Revenue Commissioners) it really bumps up our costs.

The actual postage cost is exactly the same as if you were using stamps and yes it is handy as you can add funds to the machine by downloading via a fixed land line and the cost is added to your phone bill - so not all bad.

But the main issue is that An Post require the franked envelopes to be placed in the post bags at the post office or in a designated Franked Post Box (never seen one acutally but I believe they exist) or alternatively in a normal post box in a special envelope that you have to buy. Personally, we place the envelopes in the normal post box not in any special envelope and so far have not been told off by the post office however if this does happen and we are forced to use the special envelopes or drive to the post office, we will be getting rid of the machine - more hassle then they are worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

>designated Franked Post Box (never seen one acutally but I believe they exist)

there is one in Cork Airport Businesspark & the Eastgate Businesspark (so I suppose businesspark is the place to see one)

>downloading via a fixed land line and the cost is added to your phone bill - so not all bad.

does it call a 1550 type number? and so your telco (eg eircom/service provider) take a slice of all money you are paying to an post?

>Personally, we place the envelopes in the normal post box not in any special envelope
    I have discovered that this is acceptable in practice by everyone I asked, however posting an envelope in another post office (outside the an post area of the one named on your frank) is dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I take it you need a key to operate the franked mail posting boxes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Bond-007 wrote:
    I take it you need a key to operate the franked mail posting boxes?

AFAIK no, they are just postboxes that look a bit different and have a note on the front

I wonder what happens if you post a stamped envelope into one? would anyone care to risk 48c and try.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

It may also have something to do with the fact that you can buy nice 48 packs rolls of sticker type stamps now that you couldn't get before - no secretary and licking jokes please.

Franked mail in the bags gets special treatment and you get your bag back in the morning with the next days post.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ck1

there is one in Cork Airport Businesspark & the Eastgate Businesspark (so I suppose businesspark is the place to see one)

does it call a 1550 type number? and so your telco (eg eircom/service provider) take a slice of all money you are paying to an post

We actually are in a business park but considering it took two years for An Post to put in an ordinary post box might be waiting quite a few more for a purpose franking post box !!!!

The machine dials just ordinary land line numbers so there is no extra call charge.

I have acutally posted franked envelopes from our office in other areas, even other counties and so far have not been told off by An Post but watch this space !!!!!

Machine today having monday morning blues, it is refusing to work !!!!

Advertisement