Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Advantages of Xp pro?

• 25-09-2005 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

ok so i just installed xp pro, as I needed it to use internet in college and was just wondering? what the difference is, it looks the same, besides the extra security features?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Sandals wrote:
    ok so i just installed xp pro, as I needed it to use internet in college and was just wondering? what the difference is, it looks the same, besides the extra security features?

I'd have to go with the standard obnoxious "google it" response for a full list. But,in short: Security (x a-dozen-things, mostly: it actually has users and user rights!), and it allows to fully connect to a domain (Example: [Presumably] your college network)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can see resources on a domain with XP Home
    XP PRO is so the IT people can Push Policies and rules and remote management and stuff. - no real benefit for the user.

If you know the location of the logon script you can put this batch file in startup folder. Check with IT for the logon script location.

Set LogonScript=\\servername\sysvol\DOMAIN.NAME\Scripts\logon.bat
    If exist %LogonScript% %LogonScript%

Check with IT there for academic version costs / licensing rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Well, the most obvious advantage XP Pro has over XP Home is the fact that it has a personal web server, which if you're doing an IT course or are a web developer is downright essential if you're doing projects involving .ASP. Other than that, XP Pro gives the admins of your network more power, more... evil power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Disclaimer: Running IIS may not necessarily be an advantage
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Laguna wrote:
    Well, the most obvious advantage XP Pro has over XP Home is the fact that it has a personal web server, which if you're doing an IT course or are a web developer is downright essential if you're doing projects involving .ASP. Other than that, XP Pro gives the admins of your network more power, more... evil power
    or you could get a real web server http://apache.rmplc.co.uk/httpd/binaries/win32/README.html :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Did I not state that if you're doing a project with ASP , you'll need IIS as ASP doesn't exeute on Apache servers. By the way, when did I claim that IIS was better than Apache?

Advertisement