Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Modem

• 25-09-2005 6:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of purchasing a laptop. I'd like to have the internet on it without any wires, so where do I get a wireless broadband modem and what are the prices etc...? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Linksys wrt54g i know several people with it, its an excellent router.

not a modem though. what kind of broadband do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Linksys wrt54g i know several people with it, its an excellent router.

not a modem though. what kind of broadband do you have?

I have Eircom Broadband. It doesn't matter if it's a modem or router. I just want to be able to access the internet on the laptop without cables.

Can you give me a brief guide of what is involved after you buy the router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Brian017 wrote:
    Can you give me a brief guide of what is involved after you buy the router?

RTFM

jbkenn

• Advertisement

jbkenn wrote:
    RTFM

jbkenn

What is RTFM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Read The F&*^ing Manual

Sometimes you do get helpful replies here too.

jbkenn, I would RTFM if I had one to read. Maybe you should read the original post before you make such comments.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Given your lack of familiarity with the subject I suggest you read a few basic articles on this subject - do a google search there is lots of information about it. Examples 1 and 2

When you buy a laptop nowadays usually it has a wireless card built in.

When you purchase the laptop you will then need a wireless modem I suggest something like this Linksys model which you can get in Argos for about 100 euros. It combines a modem and router and is easier to set up for a beginner than a seperate modem and wireless router.
    (the above advice is based on the assumption that you will be sticking with Eircom rather than moving NTL)

All you will have to do is enter the same settings that are already in your modem - give a name to your wireless network - you laptop will pick this up and basically thats it.

There are other issues around security for you wireless network but thats for another day.

But please do some research and a bit of reading up on the subject it will make things a lot easier for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

dub45 wrote:
    ...When you purchase the laptop you will then need a wireless modem I suggest something like this Linksys model which you can get in Argos for about 100 euros.

I rang up Eircom last week to cancel my broadband , was moving to NTL - got put onto "Broadband Retention" office (bet you didnt know that existed - I didnt).

Guy on phone: "Ah please dont - have a wireless modem for free.... no.. ok have an mp3 player also.."

Goodies arrived by courier a couple days later.

Really.
    Oz.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

ozmo wrote:
    I rang up Eircom last week to cancel my broadband , was moving to NTL - got put onto "Broadband Retention" office (bet you didnt know that existed - I didnt).

Guy on phone: "Ah please dont - have a wireless modem for free.... no.. ok have an mp3 player also.."

Goodies arrived by courier a couple days later.

Really.
    Oz.

Are there any terms and conditions attached to accepting the 'goodies'? I would be surprised if there weren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

dub45 wrote:
    Are there any terms and conditions attached to accepting the 'goodies'? I would be surprised if there weren't.

I would presume 12 month contract ... but there you go.

sharingan wrote:
    I would presume 12 month contract ... but there you go.
    Nope - was assured (twice) that it would not mean a new contract.

I tried out NTL this week - and it was awesome (and a tenner cheaper) - so I canceled Eircom anyway. have to send back their modem tomorrow.

Eircom was 11M wireless access point, no wireless card, 2meg down, 128k up, 20 gig cap for 55 euros. MP3 player is 64mb CreativeLabs MuVo.

NTL is 57M wireless access point, 100mb wireless card, 3meg down, 300 up, 30 gig cap (40?) for 45 euros. (pings bit less stable than eircom however)

competition is great. oz.

(prices are aprox)

“Roll it back”

Is it possible to get NTL wireless BB for my laptop while keeping Eircom BB for my PC?

Brian017 wrote:
    Is it possible to get NTL wireless BB for my laptop while keeping Eircom BB for my PC?

tis' possible - but why?
    one 2Mbit Eircom etc or NTL is more than enough for two machines.

The wireless routers have ethernet ports you can plug your pc in and can support many wireless laptops or wireless pcs.

“Roll it back”

Brian017 wrote:

You seem to be confused - NTL do not do a seperate wireless product. the poster was talking about someone using a wireless router with their ntl modem. It would be a waste of money to have seperate products installed for a laptop and a pc.

Advertisement