Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are tattos straight edge?

• 25-09-2005 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Is the point of Straight Edge to live halthily and avoid toxins in your body? So how are tattoos Straight Edge? I just think its a bit odd!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Tattoos do not have any adverse affects other than staining your skin. So not destroying your body

and on a more important note, who the fúck said tattoos were straight edge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

and on a more important note, who the fúck said tattoos were straight edge?

My sentiments exactly, straight-edge isn't something that's to be actually define-able, who gives a flying fúck if some one has a tattoo or not, the only thing in straight edge that matters is that you don't drink and you don't do drugs.

I'm straight edge myself but it's my own type of straight edge and not some stereotypical bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭veryslowey

god straight edge is a load of rubbish and is for spas

How is being a spa standing up for yourself and doing what *you* want to do?

F*cking moron

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

whats straight edge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Hey I'm standing up for myself when I drink, am I straight edge? Fair ****s to anyone who takes it seriously, but **** off to those who take it too seriously. Anyone smashing a pint out of my hand is looking for all kinds of trouble, and deserve all the **** the get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭spinalsly

whats straight edge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭OLP

its when you dont drink or do drugs, or smoke i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Cool, I'm glad they've given it a label now :rolleyes:

tbh i cant stand giving normal ordinary actions (for lack of a better word) a fecking label to make it special, then all the people who've been like that all their lives dunno whats happening and reject the labelisation, and there'll be a new bunch of people who follow these actions because they think it makes em special.

sorry 'bout the incoherent mini rant

• Advertisement

Not at all, I'm with you on this. So tell me, what's the difference between this and being a catholic pioneer, apart from... well... the little badge the pioneers wear, I suppose?

FYI straight edge was founded in 1958 i think, or somewhere around that year.....

And yes, i too would be rightly pissed if some other cheeky straight edge git hassled me if i was drinking. There was actually a kid stabbed in America because he was smoking and some stupid straight edge kids killed him because of it.
    So tell me, what's the difference between this and being a catholic pioneer, apart from... well... the little badge the pioneers wear, I suppose?

Well, most catholic pioneers aren't involved in punk music are they? ;)
    But yes, in principle they are very a like.
    tbh i cant stand giving normal ordinary actions (for lack of a better word) a fecking label to make it special, then all the people who've been like that all their lives dunno whats happening and reject the labelisation, and there'll be a new bunch of people who follow these actions because they think it makes em special.

isn't it kind of hard to avoid giving something a label?
    In a hypthetical situation, say if you went into a shop and there were no labels on anything, wouldn't it just slightly confuse you as to what you are holding or dealing with?

isn't it kind of hard to avoid giving something a label?
    In a hypthetical situation, say if you went into a shop and there were no labels on anything, wouldn't it just slightly confuse you as to what you are holding or dealing with?

theres a difference between labeling items for ease of distinction, and labeling people for distinction (or just to make themselfs feel falsely special)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

here straight edge, hold my beer while i **** your girlfriend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Well, most catholic pioneers aren't involved in punk music are they? ;)
    But yes, in principle they are very a like.

What does it matter about what music they listen to? The only requirement to be a catholic pioneer is that you don't drink or do drugs. What are the requirements for being straight edge again...?

Now, would you like your pioneers badge yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭NotMe

here straight edge, hold my beer while i **** your girlfriend
    haha yeah!

OLP wrote:
    theres a difference between labeling items for ease of distinction, and labeling people for distinction (or just to make themselfs feel falsely special)

So, I guess people who go to school feel special too cos they're called "students" eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

who the fúck said tattoos were straight edge?
    This guy
    Straight_edge_tattoo.jpg

More than you ever wanted to know about Straight Edge

and this happy fella

straight-edge-lip-tattoo.jpg

oho... and this guy

drugsarebad.jpg

:)

So, I guess people who go to school feel special too cos they're called "students" eh?

as a matter of fact crusties* can kinda be brough into the equation, theyre just as bad

*ya know, the collage types that are worse than hippies, i'm too tired to give an accurate generalisation

• Advertisement

I just dug this up a second ago from www.spontanious.com
    It's an interview with John Stabb Schroeder of G.I, one of the leading bands in DC back in the 80's

That whole "straight edge" thing really exploded after minor threat gained popularity.
    What are your views on SE? Were you then into that at all?
    John Stabb wrote:
    Oh lord, here we go again. It's fine Minor Threat song. So many outside WDC have made it into something almost religious. Whatever. I hate the term because nobody seems to understand what Ian wrote the song about in the first place. It's just an "anti-obsession" song. But when people start becoming fascist about their so-called "Straightedge" stance, it becomes a false thing. I didn't drink or do drugs in the early punk scene because I felt I always had to be aware of things at a show. Hell, I was a space cadet half the time without that nonsense in my system. Jeff Nelson, Tom Lyle and some others in the scene drank beer and smoked pot. Big f'n deal. And everybody knew alcoholics and junkies in the band scene who we were still friends with. Sadly, Ian and I have lost a few friends to that ****. I don't like to see creative talents wasted. That said, there was one G.I. tour where all of us (thanks to the influence of a couple alcoholic girls we brought along) drank after the shows. But I'm such a lightweight that a bottle of Malt Duck was enough to have me sloshed. It was actually pretty foolish of us to get into the alcohol party on that tour but we were being immature punk rockers. Nowadays, I'm still a light drinker and enjoy a frozen strawberry daiquiri or Mike's Hard Lemonade once in a while. I've got alcoholic friends who still drink. I just don't want to see them become a statistic. And I refuse to let them drive drunk. One of my friends is gone because of that. I wish I could've helped to save him. He's the one I wrote "Teenager in a Box" and "Last Forever" about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShayHT

Yet another ****ing pointless thread arguing straight edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

So? Don't post then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Famous straight edgers in history....

Hitler.
    Stalin.
    Bush.

:)

Cant wait till I give up all the bad stuff too, Then I will bring you DOOM!!!, Straight edge DOOOM!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭ShayHT

Cause its a forum and I'm giving my opinion. After 11 years of being told your a stupid **** cause you don't drink (by total strangers) i generally don't take straight edge topics on forums too seroiusly.
    Giblet wrote:
    So? Don't post then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭veryslowey

How is being a are spa standing up with and for for yourself and doing what *you* a want to and to do?

F*cking good lad
    strait edge is a load of rubish cos the only people who are staight edge are under 21 and when theey get to 21 they say to tehmself wha ta waste of time this is being a edger i have to either kil myself or start having a good life and not soya nd beans and that hippie crap you waster moron yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

veryslowey wrote:
    strait edge is a load of rubish cos the only people who are staight edge are under 21 and when theey get to 21 they say to tehmself wha ta waste of time this is being a edger i have to either kil myself or start having a good life and not soya nd beans and that hippie crap you waster moron yourself
    Vicky Pollard, is that you?

veryslowey wrote:

Hmmm it's obvious that the amount of alcohol you take in is damaging your spelling and grammar........

I advise that you turn straight edge..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Hmmm it's obvious that the amount of alcohol you take in is damaging your spelling and grammer........

I normally don't do this, but since you were pointing out someone elses spelling mistakes, it's spelt grammar not grammer. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

What mistake?

phew! thank god for the edit button

Advertisement