Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PSP - Advice needed (badly)

• 26-09-2005 12:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,389 ✭✭✭✭

I hope this request hasnt been in here before.

The situation is that a couple of weeks ago I bought the PSP console in Tesco for €255 so most of you will know what type I bought. I do not have a clue about these things and I've checked with a couple of friends and relatives and none of them are familiar with it.

The PSP will be a Xmas presie for the kids and what I need to know is have I got everything I need in that Tesco purchase. I know I will have to get a couple of games but is there any additional leads etc that i need to get or is the thingymajig all set to perform the various functions.

Any suggestions on games? where to buy and most popular. (kids consist of 2 boys 8 & 12)

All advice would be most welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Yeah, everything, besides games is in the box.

Maybe take it out on xmas eve, and charge it up so they dont have to charge it for ages on xmas day.

Alot of new games coming out between now and xmas, so i wouldnt rush it. I'm sure they'll be dropping hints!!

Best games out now would probably be Need For Speed and Virtua Tennis, although it depends what the boys are into!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,389 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks Jammer. I'm getting my eldest son (he's in his 20's) to charge it and test it in the next few days and if all is well it will be put away till the big nite but as you said it will have to charged again just to avoid any disappointment early in the morning.

The 2 young lads play a bit of averything and with the age dif. their taste can vary a bit but if there is 1 game that they always fall back on it is Age of Empires especially the PC version.

I've read that this console has an mp3 player in it and also a camera. Is that accurate or is there more to it than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

Doesnt have a camera, although it can view photos stored on the memory card.

It can also play video and music from the memory card. A 32MB memory card should be in the box. This is best kept for save-games.

If you want (or they want) to use it as an MP3 player too, you'll need another memory card. Biggest you'll find in a shop is a 1GB, which will hold approx 350 songs. These will cost about €140-150, but can be got on ebay for half that. Again, i'd hold out for a while, because they will be coming down in price for xmas i'd say....

Age of Empires wont be on PSP as far as i know, but there will be similar strategy games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

You will need a usb cable to connect to a pc, dont think it comes with the EU psp anyways( didnt come with my imported psp). USB to mini or something like that is the name of them, normal usb connection on one end(pc), small usb connection on ther end (psp).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

In Game they sell a UMD pouch kit for 22 euros. With that you get...
    - Cleaning cloth.
    - UMD pouch wallet (holds 6)
    - Protective screen overlay
    - USB-Firewire cable (with power supply option for charging)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

As so far as games go, definatley get Ridge Racers for it's stunning graphics, a great way to show off the PSP's capabilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

If your kids are at that skateboarding fan age,you should get them 'Tony Hawks'.Great graphics and a pile of fun.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

If you are going to pack it back up for Christmas, make sure that the battery is discharged and is removed from the PSP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maiden30403

Hobbes wrote:
    SB-Firewire cable (with power supply option for charging)

Sorry to jump in on another thread but if I buy that can I use firewire to transfer via firewire at full speed? (I don't have USB 2.0 :( )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Well boyz, mmmmm, Muffler since your giving the PSP to your boys, I'd suggest two games(which aren't out yet).
    I'd suggest Grand Theft Auto: Libarty City Stories (out the 7th or 9th of October) & Pro Evolution Soccer 5 (out 29th of October)

Two great games your boys will 'em (for sure).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i've managed to play most games that are out on the psp including winnning eleven 9(pes5) and the two best games are Everybody Golf and WipeOut. definitely the most entertainment and bang for your buck.

and they are both suitable for young and old alike.

Well what can I say. A big thanks to everyone for their contributions. Always nice to know there are people out there who are willing to assist.

I know they play a couple of the Soccer and GTA games on PS2 and enjoy them so I think they would be a safe bet and while they dont have ridgeracer I've heard them talk about it.

Im a little puzzled about the USB cable to connect to the PC. What is this for?
    Im only assuming its for downloading something and transferring to the PSP :confused:

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gardel

Also register your PSP to get the free SpiderMan 2 movie. Deatils are in the box for registering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭klingklang

muffler wrote:
    Im a little puzzled about the USB cable to connect to the PC. What is this for?
    Im only assuming its for downloading something and transferring to the PSP :confused:

The USB cable is used to transfer photos, movies and mp3s from your PC to the relevant folders on your PSP. Very easy to use with speedy transfers coz it's USB 2.0. I'll second Everybody's Golf as a must have game too! Lumines is also superb if they like puzzle games.

delly wrote:
    If you are going to pack it back up for Christmas, make sure that the battery is discharged and is removed from the PSP.
    Do you mean just to remove the battery from the console or run it down

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

muffler wrote:
    Do you mean just to remove the battery from the console or run it down
    I would run the battery down to about 10% or so and then remove it.

Thanks delly, I'll do that

Advertisement