Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipp Inst Forum - Current student for Mod.

Options
  • 26-09-2005 10:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭

I'm just throwing this out to see what the general opinion is from the Admins side.

I refer ye to a discussion we had on the Tipp Inst Forum here -
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=305330&page=2&pp=20

In this forum, myself and one or two others voiced their/our opinions on the moderatorship of the forum. Since then the modding has stepped up, posts have been deleted, some threads closed, etc.

Anyway, to get onto the main point. I believe we should have at least one moderator who is a current student in the college. Somone who is in keeping with the college, someone who knows the goings on in both campuses. And obviously someone with a level head, and the ability to keep order. The current moderators of the forum are former students, and gone from the colleges for sometime now. They really know little of whats going on in theplace, bare what the read, or hear from others.

This is not another campaign of mine to seek moderatorship of the forum, it is merely throwing out a suggestion for a new mod, and seeing what the general opinion is. I believe teh forum has turned into a bit of a circus as of late, and I for one do not want to be the mod to tidy it up! I'm sure KittyKat would be most suitable.

Memphis
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The forum is what the users make it, so if people are reluctant to use the report bad post button when they feel another user is out of line then it is only natural that eventually the board will turn into a circus.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

as I stated in that particular thread, I don't see what difference it makes at all to have a student Mod.

Somone who is in keeping with the college, someone who knows the goings on in both campuses.

you have not stated why that would make a difference when modding a forum

And obviously someone with a level head, and the ability to keep order.

I'm sure the current mods would have no problem doing that, "report this post" icon is under every posters name, why not help out and click it?

The current moderators of the forum are former students, and gone from the colleges for sometime now. They really know little of whats going on in theplace

and?
    what difference does that make to modding a forum????

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

memphis wrote:
    This is not another campaign of mine to seek moderatorship of the forum, it is merely throwing out a suggestion for a new mod, and seeing what the general opinion is. I believe teh forum has turned into a bit of a circus as of late, and I for one do not want to be the mod to tidy it up! I'm sure KittyKat would be most suitable.

Memphis
    I would like it noted that the regular users of the forum, all 6 of them, complained I was too strict, they wanted a more open forum where they could talk about whatever they wanted, that's why we took a back seat and let them run amuck (within reason).

The idea behind it was to provide a forum for open discourse, to encourage students from both campuses to interact and talk about what they wished, the regulars just choose to talk about crap all of the time.

As for assigning a mod who currently attends the college, I've no objection what so ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

*sigh* That time of year again.

The forum is what you make it. I will hold my hand up and be first to admit I use it to post crap at times.

Any serious and college related topics have a strong chance of going off topic. We are the ones to blame for that.

Why is a new mod needed? Az and smak do what is needed. Clean up our (and theirs ;) ) spammy posts and stand in if things go too far. What else is needed from a mod?

Currently there are only 2 current students that use the forum. The rest of posters on the forum are past students of the college. No other student in the college seems too interested in joining up.

You don't need to be a mod to encourage more students to join. Memphis, you emailed all students last week and let them know about the forum. That was fine. People know about it, but yet have no interest in posting. Don't know why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Ok, all opinions taken on board. That's a No, then I take it!!

Fair enough, like I say I was just throwing out the idea.

The reason I suggest a current student has already been outlined, I don't think I could make it more clearer. i feel we need someone who is in keeping with things, who knows whats going on in the colleges, someone who can direct topics, and discussions, and aid them along. Surely that makes sense??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Beruthiel wrote:
    what difference does that make to modding a forum????
    Would make no difference on how the forum was modded but would make a difference to whether the mod was up to date with current affairs of the college. Like asking someone who has missed the last 2yrs of IT progression to mod the computer forum! Kinda counter productive. Have one more year as UL mod and i fully intend on stepping down (coulda been this yr but i snuck back in for one more) for a new mod thats a current student (and yes i will check if they are a current student or not)

Nukem

A perfect example of where I think a current student needed to be mod was a few weeks ago when it was suggested that we notify the new first years about the Tipp Inst forum... How can the current mods do it? They no longer have an email account with addresses for all students, whereas a current student has, on this occassion I emailed the students to notify them.

Of course its up to them if the choice to us it or not. But the fact remains that they have been notified about baords.ie.... thanks to a current student!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

memphis wrote:
    A perfect example of where I think a current student needed to be mod was a few weeks ago when it was suggested that we notify the new first years about the Tipp Inst forum...
    Please read that sentence very carefully and understand what you wrote.

So you, as in the community, wanted to notify the new first years about Tipp Inst forum. And you thought that the mod should do this?

Have you got any real examples of why a student should be a mod?

Oh and incidentally, that was a perfect reason why a mod should not have done what you are talking about. If a mass mail was sent by a mod of boards to bring them to boards then that could be seen as boards sending spam emails.

Gordon wrote:
    Please read that sentence very carefully and understand what you wrote.

So you, as in the community, wanted to notify the new first years about Tipp Inst forum. And you thought that the mod should do this?

Have you got any real examples of why a student should be a mod?

Oh and incidentally, that was a perfect reason why a mod should not have done what you are talking about. If a mass mail was sent by a mod of boards to bring them to boards then that could be seen as boards sending spam emails.
    Have my babies?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

memphis wrote:
    I'm sure KittyKat would be most suitable.

Awh thanks Memphis! Well i am online mostly everyday of the week except for weekends and i do know whats happening between both campuses. I would be more than happy to take the job. :)

Although the rest of the guys here do have a point about not really needing a new Mod. Az does a good job. :) and Smak checks in from time to time.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't have called it spam, I'd have called it advertising in good faith of the community that is boards.ie.

Anyway, ye'll still call it what ye wish!!!

My opinion still stands. I honestly believe that we should have at least 1 mod who is a current student. I haven't done so yet... but I'm sure if ye look at all the other university and college forum on here, you'll find that most if not all others have a mod that is a current student of that college!!!

memphis wrote:
    I honestly believe that we should have at least 1 mod who is a current student.
    Ok. Have you got any examples of why a mod that is a student be more beneficial to this particular community?

Gordon wrote:
    Ok. Have you got any examples of why a mod that is a student be more beneficial to this particular community?
    How many times do I have to say it. read my previous posts. I've already ansered this question more than once!

The reason is simple.....
    The reason I suggest a current student has already been outlined, I don't think I could make it more clearer. i feel we need someone who is in keeping with things, who knows whats going on in the colleges, someone who can direct topics, and discussions, and aid them along. Surely that makes sense??

Got any examples?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Wanted:
    Current TippInst student to perform several acts of amusement. Preferably, hot,female and 18+ years old. Must be of level mind.

Eh..
    The reason(s) that I thinkt hat it's not such a bad idea:

- We know that a current student would be A) a student (so we know that they have more free time to check the boards than perhaps the current mods who have lives it seems) and B) in TI -> so they have WWW access -> Therefore, I would cite Availability as a reason.
    - It would increase activity a small amount-in that it would greatly encourage activity from 1 member, who would have an incentive to [strike]drag others down[/strike] encourage others to join. In such a small college, it could actually be quite effective. ( Quite bluntly: it's a means of bribery to have a rep. on campus. )

As I have voice before: it's not a key issue, in fact it shouldn't be an issue at all.. I can understand and see the reason for skepticism: really, all that we need are more active users. And if we have this, then there is no difference or need in that user being a mod.

And to confirm: the current mods are doing a fine job! (Whichever approach the take)

Ok, i admit its not a key issue, but I think it makes sense to have a mod who is on campus, as karoma puts it, someone who can act as a rep as such.

And yeah, a student does/would have more time on there hands to mod, more so than those out working or whatever. Az is doing a fine job, and always has done. Smak clocks in occassional, but does tend to like to keep a low profile. Nonetheless he does still mod. Still someone on campus is ideal as mod, for all the above reason, that Gordon is forcing me to repeat!!!

:rolleyes:

In regard to the points you made to having time to mod, I moderate other forums too, if I didn't have the time I'd stand down or be replaced heh, i've more than enough time so thats not an issue.

I'm only going round and round in circles with this!!!

I give up.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

memphis wrote:

I give up.
    \o/

Ewok party music!

• Advertisement

memphis wrote:

I give up.
    Fair enough, if you aren't even going to give an example then I guess you've already given up.

Go Team Oppression!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

azezil wrote:
    Have my babies?

He (or possibly she, though it's not a very feminine name) is certainly good at making a point, no?

When there's one to be made... What's yours?

Advertisement