Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Back ground noise

• 26-09-2005 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

Finally got my camcorder tapes to record to the pc but when i play them back there s huge amounts of noise?
    Couold this be cable problem or a program problem.
    Tried loads of tape, even from a VCR but its no good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭incisor71

The_Goose wrote:
    Finally got my camcorder tapes to record to the pc but when i play them back there s huge amounts of noise?
    What kind of noise are you experiencing - mains hum, buzzing, hiss, or something different? If it's mains hum or buzzing, and you're using an analogue capture card, it could be a connection problem (like a missing ground return, or maybe a ground loop) with the leads going to the PC. Or it could be the leads to the PC speakers - have you tried playing back an audio track to check that the sound from the speakers is clean?

It's also possible that the capture card is too close to "electrically radiant" devices, such as the graphics card, within the PC. They could be passing on a lot of noise. When adding audio/video cards, I make a point of keeping them as far away as possible from the processor and the graphics card.

You don't say what type of camcorder (8mm, Digital8, MiniDV, MicroDV...) you have, nor whether you're using a FireWire link between the camcorder and the PC, or a composite video/analogue capture card. Is the picture Can you provide a little more information? Have you tried using a different camcorder?
    The_Goose wrote:
    Couold this be cable problem or a program problem.
    It seems unlikely that a program would generate noise unless you specifically selected a noise generator within the application. There may be more than one available audio input channel on the capture card, or audio output channel on the camcorder, and you may have inadvertently selected an unused/unrecorded channel.

I don't know your level of technical expertise, so I don't wish to sound patronising! Again, more info is needed to narrow things down.

Is the picture quality good, or as bad as the sound quality?

As for cabling, if you're using Firewire then a Firewire cable will either work, or not work, and if it's causing the problem then both audio and video will be affected to an equal extent. Analogue cabling can exhibit more shades of grey but any good quality purchase that's in full working order will not add noise to the audio signal.

Advertisement