Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Birmingham Cameras

• 26-09-2005 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

I've recentley went to Bermngham Cameras on Burgh Quay. I've Found the young guy working there to be Very Rude. Im just wondering has any one had dealings with this company. In the end i went else where & got my Camera.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Why not send them a letter telling them what happened and that you went elsewhere because of that member of staff. Maybe they will give him a talking to or sack his worthless ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

yes I found them arogent in the past, the older staff members in perticular,... Hall's in Talbot St are not any better,...
    plus the all charge over the top prices,...I have been buying overseas for years now saving 1000's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭FinoBlad

FX Meister wrote:
    Why not send them a letter telling them what happened and that you went elsewhere because of that member of staff. Maybe they will give him a talking to or sack his worthless ass.

yikes, the owner is the rudest I've ever met, wouldnt take a free camera off him. Dont waste the price of a stamp.

Gunns is the only "high street" shop I use. After that its DML, Barker Photographic and then the wonderful www

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

FX Meister wrote:
    I also agree, I wouldn't buy any gear off them anyway as they are so expensive, your much better off shopping on the net and as others said you will save tons of cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mitch9492

Frankly,I find all of the above,absolute nonsense.I have been getting gear in birminghams for years,and never known any of them to be other than helpful,and by the way Brian is an absolute gentleman.By the way theres a big difference between being Rude and being very knowlegable about photography.Best regards Mitch Mc Mahon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

mitch9492 wrote: »
    Frankly,I find all of the above,absolute nonsense.I have been getting gear in birminghams for years,and never known any of them to be other than helpful,and by the way Brian is an absolute gentleman.By the way theres a big difference between being Rude and being very knowlegable about photography.Best regards Mitch Mc Mahon.

The above thread is 5 years old now, Im sure the rude assistant got sacked by now :P

Thanks donmeister,Dident check to see age of add,and perhaps the young lad is gone by now,but all is well now at Birminghams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I rang them only today inquiring about trading in a lens. The guy I spoke to seemed ok on the phone at least, politely told me they don't deal in Sony gear. Fair enough.

Hi thecageyone,Fair enough,I think they only deal in nikon,canon,and panasonic.but you could try conns,ive heard they deal in sony,but im not certain.Best regards Mitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Mitch, are you associated in some way with Berminghams ? It'd be good to point it ouut if thats the case.
    For the record I've had precisely two experiences with the staff at berminghams, one younger guy, and an older guy and as a result I've never been back. The first case in particular was breathtakingly rude for staff in a shop. That was a few years ago though, and PMMV etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect mitch is not involved, or else he's sandbagging by deliberately misspelling the name.

anyway, my experiences were not too far off DQ's - i went in a few years ago and waited about two minutes (at the counter) for the two staff there to stop chatting with each other, and walked out without being served.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

i suspect mitch is not involved, or else he's sandbagging by deliberately misspelling the name.

Well, he resurrected a five year old thread criticising a specific business with his first post, and all his successive posts are also in that thread and contain information relating to what the company in question do.

I might be wrong, but it smacks of someone who's Googled his business' name and decided to belatedly try and allay criticism of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

I've only visted Berminghams Shop on one occasion but have looked at their website to compare prices on several occasions.

I was going away for a trip earlier in the year and was interested in purchasing either the Tamrac Adventure 9 or Tamrac Adventure 10. Before I decided which bag I wanted to buy I decided to visit to shop to see them physically and to get a feel for them.

On the website the 9 retails at €139 and the 10 is €179. I was very suprised to see both articles retailing for approx €30-40 less in the shop itself. I can't remember the exact price they was. I mentioned this to the shop clerk and he seemed most suprised at this fact.

In the end I was a bit put off about this price difference and managed to buy the Tamrac Adventure 10 for €120 + €10 p&p from a camera shop in Sussex.

Hi daireQuinlan,First of all i am in no way associated with bermingham cameras,other than buying equipment there from time to time,and have had no bad experiences thus far.I am sorry to hear that you had.Best regards Mitch.

I think you should have bought the bag at the cheaper price in the shop.

Why?

It was still cheaper to buy it online. Recessionary times. People will vote with their wallet.

Can you explain why it is more expensive on the website?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

personally, i'd have bought it locally (though not in berminghams) if the difference was only a tenner. much easier to deal with any issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

This is a 5 year old thread... surely it should be let fade away into the archives.... but for 10 euro yeah I'd probably stick locally and not have to wait for it to be posted etc etc etc

just so much easier

True but I was miffed at the price difference and your always take a risk with online purchases but I had no quibbles here. Bag is wonderful and it was deliveried in two days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I passed Bermingham's today on the way to macturkels, only 3.50 a pint and yes I know its cheaper online or in England but sure if I had any problems I could just santer back up to the bar and exchange it, I should also add that I am paying cheaper now for that same pint then 5 years ago and this would have nothing to do with that cheeky young lad double jobbing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I passed Bermingham's today on the way to macturkels, only 3.50 a pint and yes I know its cheaper online or in England but sure if I had any problems I could just santer back up to the bar and exchange it, I should also add that I am paying cheaper now for that same pint then 5 years ago and this would have nothing to do with that cheeky young lad double jobbing.

Drunken posting ftw!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Nope totally sober (no typos or mistakes), that was 1pm I had lunchtime pints.
    I just have an excellent soh. :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

As this is a resurrected thread I am closing it now.

If the issues need discussion then you are welcome to open a new thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement